Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you sure?! I can't tell the difference. It seems to be the same old 'Sad Sacks' spouting the usual stuff over and over again!

More glee, less spittle.

Noone used the spud word, abused the coaches for selecting him, or demanded he return his match payments.

More glee, less spittle.

Noone used the spud word, abused the coaches for selecting him, or demanded he return his match payments.
I think they could at least hold off with the negative stuff for 24 hours after a win like that, sr! Then (if they must) let them go back to doing what they do best!

12 games into his career, which has been hampered by injuries to this point. Finally getting a run at it now, and hopefully gets 6 more games this year to add to the tally. Would like to see us persevere with him, I'm sure he'll settle into a spot in time. Wing perhaps
I think he'll be given a spell..Ruscoe to take his spot in defence and keep it. .

I think they could at least hold off with the negative stuff for 24 hours after a win like that, sr! Then (if they must) let them go back to doing what they do best!

24, 36, 72 etc. what difference does it make given the content seemed reasonably accurate and not clouded by adrenaline? Only my take, but he spent a lot of time on the wing today and you can’t have wingers looking so shaky whenever they go near it (missed tackles, fumbles, dropped marks and going to ground) getting sub 10 possessions.

Personally I’d rather Sier at the coalface and Pendlebury shuffling onto the wing. I don’t think that’ll hurt Pendlebury’s game and I’m certain Sier would give us more than Murphy. The only reason for not making a move like that is that like Lynch the club think Sier is going to maximise his trade value dominating at VFL level.

He's like a few of our younger boys....loses his feet too often. I love his courage and his willingness to compete and to run but he falls to his knees to win possession on the ground. Great goal in the last though...persist with him.

Had an almost game, 9 possessions and a goal from a small medium forward reflects that. I think his attack at the footy and the player with it, and his running, was important today. Happy to persist with him.

Had an almost game, 9 possessions and a goal from a small medium forward reflects that. I think his attack at the footy and the player with it, and his running, was important today. Happy to persist with him.

When WHE and Thomas run these numbers everyone calls for their heads but this kid its all good.

When WHE and Thomas run these numbers everyone calls for their heads but this kid its all good.

I don't agree with their comments on Thomas and WHE either most of the time, but they're senior players with north of 100 games under their belts. Murphy just played his 11th game in a very disjointed career to date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

24, 36, 72 etc. what difference does it make given the content seemed reasonably accurate and not clouded by adrenaline? Only my take, but he spent a lot of time on the wing today and you can’t have wingers looking so shaky whenever they go near it (missed tackles, fumbles, dropped marks and going to ground) getting sub 10 possessions.

Personally I’d rather Sier at the coalface and Pendlebury shuffling onto the wing. I don’t think that’ll hurt Pendlebury’s game and I’m certain Sier would give us more than Murphy. The only reason for not making a move like that is that like Lynch the club think Sier is going to maximise his trade value dominating at VFL level.

Poulter to the wing, imo.

I could envisage a scenario where you could have Murphy play defensive winger who sits out one side to try and prevent play being switched and pushes back to help in defence and Wilbur play the offensive winger who pushes forward to kick goals.

or we could get a better footballer who can do a lot of things...

Murphy has impressed me before for his undeniable courage but, in all honesty, this is the first time I've watched him play and felt the kid might just make it. Still only young and needs to stay injury-free, string some good games together. You know he won't go out wondering, gives his all.

I hope he gets settled in defence be it AFL or VFL

Murphy has impressed me before for his undeniable courage but, in all honesty, this is the first time I've watched him play and felt the kid might just make it. Still only young and needs to stay injury-free, string some good games together. You know he won't go out wondering, gives his all.
Giving your all is great. But being late to contests, desperately diving at the footy and thus being stuck prone on the ground as the footy gets swept away ain't so great. I think his one asset hurts more often than it helps.

Last edited:
He had 9 touches and before the 9th(goal) he was at 43% efficiency. Kicks 1 goal and you think he's jesus. F@@k me. Wouldn't get a game in a decent side.
I don’t think he’s Jesus, but happy to give him a bit more of a run in the AFL before crucifying him.

or we could get a better footballer who can do a lot of things...
Wow. What an incredible insight.

With what, our extensive array of draft picks available next season - Daicos and Dib will consume all of that seemingly?
With our significant salary cap space we have available?

Or we can give a kid who shows some promise, who won't yet have built confidence at the level due to extensive injuries, more opportunity to flourish and bring his best attributes to the team (his running power, his ability to spot kicks in attacking positions, his courage, his marking and spoiling capacity) as well as further opportunity to develop physically.

I think we have to give some more opportunity to develop our younger players.
Coach them that desperately diving and losing their footing may not always be the best option.

But give me a Nathan Murphy over a Chris Mayne or Jack Madgen who are regularly in the senior team but who's flaws are well ingrained.
- Mayne will never offer a kick over more than 35m and will always have slow ball movement with the safest option that allows our opponents to get set up down back.
- Madgen will always make kicking errors, play hot potato and put teammates under pressure and take a long time to dispose of the ball with long, high balls up the line which provide little advantage given our lack of contested marking options.

Both are heart and soul players, but they actually don't assist us to develop a game style which will help us to win more games of football.

Last edited:

With what, our extensive array of draft picks available next season - Daicos and Dib will consume all of that seemingly?

Or we can give a kid who shows some promise, who won't yet have built confidence at the level due to extensive injuries, more opportunity to flourish and bring his best attributes to the team (his running power, his ability to spot kicks in attacking positions, his courage, his marking and spoiling capacity) as well as further opportunity to develop physically.

Coach them that desperately diving and losing their footing may not always be the best option.

But give me a Nathan Murphy over a Chris Mayne or Jack Madgen who are regularly in the senior team but who's flaws are well ingrained.
- Mayne will never offer a kick over more than 35m and will always have slow ball movement with the safest option that allows our opponents to get set up down back.
- Madgen will always make kicking errors, play hot potato and put teammates under pressure and take a long time to dispose of the ball with long, high balls up the line which provide little advantage given our lack of contested marking options.

Both are heart and soul players, but they actually don't assist us to develop a game style which will help us to win more games of football.

Firstly, thank you for your compliment. I surprise myself sometimes.
Some areas can be broken up into specific roles like midfielders where there's a few of them doing a collective job. Some positions like wing need allrounders to some extent. I think that's even true for small forwards. If you dont kick goals as a small forward, you're going to have to do something special defensively every single week to warrant your spot in the team, as far as i'm concerned. If you cant kick goals as a winger and provide support to the defence too, then you cant leave to someone else to play that role. Some people look at players with narrow skills and say that they are playing a role. Some people look at them and identify the flaws. Murphy needs to do more offensively, or opposition players will play off him and it will make it harder on our other forwards.

Hit the nail on the head , while i think Murphy was pretty ordinary all day and the win was wonderful to watch , i feel we need to keep allowing our younger players to develop in the Afl , Madgen shouldn't be on our list next year has very limited abilities in any position Mayne should retire , also see Thomas gone,
while he has improved over the last few games he isn't going to be in our next window, we should not be worried about losing games at this point, we should
be focussed on improving our younger players by giving them games at Afl level. For example Ginnivan should have played on sunday . I would also rest our older brigade over the next few weeks , Sidey is one who needs a break ,something is not right with him and it could just be fatherhood , i know from experience that being away from a young family can really worry any father. Another who i have bagged over the last year or so is C Brown ,his position is mid and i think he could be a good one ,had a pretty solid game and could be the turning point for him. Sometimes young players actually play better with decent senior players around them ,let these young men play with watch and learn from our best , example Maynard , all our young defenders should take a leaf out of his book determination ,pressure , hardness,. Ruscoe would be the type who would flourish playing along side him. In saying that, Maynard i would love to see playing further up the ground. Madge ,Thomas ,Mayne ,should be emergencies only for rest of the season.

Hit the nail on the head , while i think Murphy was pretty ordinary all day and the win was wonderful to watch , i feel we need to keep allowing our younger players to develop in the Afl , Madgen shouldn't be on our list next year has very limited abilities in any position Mayne should retire , also see Thomas gone,
while he has improved over the last few games he isn't going to be in our next window, we should not be worried about losing games at this point, we should
be focussed on improving our younger players by giving them games at Afl level. For example Ginnivan should have played on sunday . I would also rest our older brigade over the next few weeks , Sidey is one who needs a break ,something is not right with him and it could just be fatherhood , i know from experience that being away from a young family can really worry any father. Another who i have bagged over the last year or so is C Brown ,his position is mid and i think he could be a good one ,had a pretty solid game and could be the turning point for him. Sometimes young players actually play better with decent senior players around them ,let these young men play with watch and learn from our best , example Maynard , all our young defenders should take a leaf out of his book determination ,pressure , hardness,. Ruscoe would be the type who would flourish playing along side him. In saying that, Maynard i would love to see playing further up the ground. Madge ,Thomas ,Mayne ,should be emergencies only for rest of the season.

I agree with the call on Ginnivan. 4 goals each of the past couple of weeks and should be in the team at present in McCreery's absence. I'd bring him in for Bianco, who doesn't fit the bill as a small pressure goal scoring forward. Best we play players in their best suited position - not Jay Rantall as a forward (or it seems Cal Brown to that extent).

I wouldn't drop Thomas at present. He's been hitting the scoreboard. I think our emerging game style of moving the ball in quickly suits his crumbing style and we've witnessed that in his goal scoring output in recent weeks - back to 2018 feats. Wilbur is the same - terrible for 2 years but in improved form and deserves his spot at present.

I think Sidebottom is injured. Why has he been away from his child? I'm not buying the fatherhood problem. Doesn't his family live in Melbourne with him, where he has been located all season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back