Injury Naughton's knee

Sorry to tell you but Schache will not make it as an AFL player. If we get Bruce that's his career over.
Dude...sometimes your trolls are well hidden, sometimes not. But this one has me buggered. Are you taking the pi**?

We can absolutely play Schache, Naughton and Bruce.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Rapt to hear no ACL for Naughton. Seems a lot like Charlie Curnow earlier this year who also feared an ACL but was instead a lateral and bone bruising. 3 months is better than 12 or more.

I was a big fan of Naughton in his draft year and had him No5 on my board. Have followed him closely since his debut and fair to say he is one of my favorite non Carlton players to watch. A real talent.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
An LCL is an important ligament, providing important stability (from side impact) through the knee. One of the critical 4 ligaments in which damage to the LCL is not often seen.
Serious question. Sorry if I am a bit slow but I don't understand the last sentence. Are you saying the news isn't as good as we think? Also what is the prognosis for an LCL? Three months off? No surgery?

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Serious question. Sorry if I am a bit slow but I don't understand the last sentence. Are you saying the news isn't as good as we think? Also what is the prognosis for an LCL? Three months off? No surgery?
Could be surgery depending how bad. At worst probably 3 month injury so won't miss any games

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Thank God for that..... Once Aaron got hurt I didn’t really care about the result of the game anymore. Just hoped for a miracle that it wasn’t an ACL. He is one of the best young players in the game and it would have been a tragedy if he did an ACL.

Disaster averted. Can’t wait for 2020.

Go Dogs, the future is bright 😊🐶

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Dude...sometimes your trolls are well hidden, sometimes not. But this one has me buggered. Are you taking the pi**?

We can absolutely play Schache, Naughton and Bruce.

Not trolling. I really just don't rate Schache. He kicks a few opportunistic goals but that's it. I don't think he's good enough for AFL. Only reason he gets games is because we need a tall forward who can at least bring the ball to ground. If we had a better one I don't think Schache gets a game. It's not that we can't play three talls, it's just that we wouldn't if one of them is Schache. I keep hearing on this board that he plays some special role that no other forward can play but I struggle to believe it.

Really don’t know because it depends on the severity of the injury. A tear can see a reconstruction, similar to an ACL/MCL/PCL

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've heard an LCL can be anywhere between 6 weeks and 3 months, depending on severity and I guess surgery. He'll miss some pre-season but hopefully not a huge chunk of it.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not trolling. I really just don't rate Schache. He kicks a few opportunistic goals but that's it. I don't think he's good enough for AFL. Only reason he gets games is because we need a tall forward who can at least bring the ball to ground. If we had a better one I don't think Schache gets a game. It's not that we can't play three talls, it's just that we wouldn't if one of them is Schache. I keep hearing on this board that he plays some special role that no other forward can play but I struggle to believe it.
I think it’s fair to make that call Scrag. I think a few won’t think he’ll make it. I’m guessing with Naughton, Bruce, Schache, Dale, Lloyd, Greene, West, Dickson, it will be tough for spots next year. We know Dale and Schache are good kicks, but can they do enough to keep a spot next year? Time will tell. At least we’ve finally got a few options in our forward line!

hamwell

Rookie
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very good news, but at the same time, I think there's something for Naughton to learn from this.

He jumps high in the air for his marks, and likes to land on his feet, which is always a bit risky. In the back of my mind I was kind of expecting something like this to happen one day. I hope he starts learning to take more marks on the lead, or in one-on-one strength battles.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very good news, but at the same time, I think there's something for Naughton to learn from this.

He jumps high in the air for his marks, and likes to land on his feet, which is always a bit risky. In the back of my mind I was kind of expecting something like this to happen one day. I hope he starts learning to take more marks on the lead, or in one-on-one strength battles.
I don’t think it’s something you ever want to coach out of a player. To do what he does is a god given talent. It was just a freak landing. It’s like telling Jeremy Howe to stop going for speccies in fear of an injury.

hamwell

Rookie
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think it’s something you ever want to coach out of a player. To do what he does is a god given talent. It was just a freak landing. It’s like telling Jeremy Howe to stop going for speccies in fear of an injury.
Speccies aren't as big of a risk because the player usually lands on his back or side. They're also significantly less frequent than Naughton's jumping for marks and landing on his feet. Obviously we'd still want to keep it in his arsenal, but maybe tone it down a bit and expand his all-round marking game.

Hallelujah! This is the first time that I've ever prayed for a particular part of a player's body. Next will be prayers for Timmy's weight. (It can't hurt.)

Hallelujah! This is the first time that I've ever prayed for a particular part of a player's body. Next will be prayers for Timmy's weight. (It can't hurt.)
So I take it you weren't praying for Toby's nuts.

Back