ND Pick 17 - Josh Simpson

Apparently has no problems roosting the ball 60 metres . Is a huge plus when breaking lines . Kicks off both feet exceptionally as well .

I mean this in the nicest possible way, this boy is Stephen Hill with a heart.

I don't think his inside game has been highlighted enough, he is more than capable of winning his own ball in the middle and I can assure you, he will never, ever back down from a bit of physical attention.

If anything he'll need to tone down his reaction to niggle.

No one will dominate him in a physical sense. Great pick up.

The sad thing will be that with so many kpps picked after him, if he isn't killing it by the end of year two, if even a single one of those kpps looks like becoming a decent forward he will get the Pitt treatment.

Happy to have another line breaker, would love to see him running from half back and delivering to a bolstered forward line including Mora and Crozier

This kid looks like he's got real line-breaking quality. I like the look of him better than Garlett who looked like more of a regulation style winger.

He better be good - we passed on O'Brien / Clurey / Shaw for him - Hope he doesn't do a Sampi on us.

Sideways.
I saw somewhere recently on my PC, RTB giving instructions at a training session and he was clearly reinforcing the importance of stepping sideways once you get the ball. Something MJ does with great affect.

Looking the highlights of Josh Simpson stepping sideways seems natural to him. No wonder RTB locked him in. Looking forward to seeing Josh develop.

Both videos of Simpson are awesome. I had seen his under 18 champs highlights which was superb but the highlights video of his Colts season was great also. I think he is Hill and Jetta rolled into one.

I hope its a boy. ;)

It's a girl.

Max ( Yakka Man ) , where you working at now and have your injuries healed up alright ?

Really stoked with this pick. Some claims he was even a top 5 talent. Watching that video makes me drool at the prospects of our midfield in the years to come. I'm disappointed that we missed out on Shaw though. Didn't he go to Port? If he did, I think he'll back with us in the future anyway :p

But back on topic, we have a dangerous midfield now and we are going to need these types of players and the depth if we hope to even come close to competing with the midfields that GWS and GC have. We've injected pace and skill which were areas we've had a history of lacking. With opened up a lot of salary cap space for any free agent key forwards or possible trades that might fit with our youth model better. Who wouldn't wanna play with us knowing the lace out delivery they'll be able to receive :)
Maybe I'm too much of an optimist but I think the future is pretty bright!

Freo is going to be very exciting to watch with Simpson, D Pearce and Duffy being added to our team. How Duffy got past the 'no dick head' policy is beyond me though.... Unless he has changed. Lloyd seemed to suggest he may have improved a little in that area.

Just watched his vid on the Freo site, great goal (second last snapshot) the end of a run and handball chain... Awesome. Just read he is a right footer but looks very comfortable on his left in the Video, and can kick no worries making goal from 50m. Dare I say it... Bring on the mother of all Vic commentator cliches " he is going to love it on the wide expanses of Subiaco.." ... Yes he will Bruce, yes he will.

Stoked with this pick, need for KPF notwithstanding. Bonus that he's been a freo supporter all his life, talent + passion and commitment will hopefully result in a star who'll stay with us his whole career. ;)

;)

Hahahahaha! I laugh out of pure joy that this kid alone has made my draft day, and also because of the slow mo replay slowing down the raucous cries of the crowd as they saw him pluck that beauty.

Also, as Lach and a few others have mentioned, some of his highlights are speeeeeecial. How is that run through the middle and "one-two" goal in the last part of the Easts highlights package??? Absolute steal at pick 17 IMO. Fear us with him Hilly PearceD and a fit Mora in the team. FEAR US!

Back