ND Pick 17 - Josh Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't wait to see Josh play for us. Just watched his highlights again, man can this boy punch a hole through traffic!
Lands goals easily from outside 50 of either side and can take a grab.

BTW - Mods are these new draftees threads going to be moved to the players forum or do us buddy types make a new thread for our chosen player?

Is he a realistic chance to play 2013? He looks slight and similar to bennell who imo really struggled in the first year with GC.

Simpson seems (from his highlights - so ive got a very narrow amount of exposure to how he plays) to be a lot stronger through his core than Hill was at the same age, Hill would dance around and sidestep tackles where as Simpson seems to break through them a lot more. I think this variance can only be good for the team as as sort of you dont want all your eggs in one basket kind of thing. Either way, thrilled to have him and can't wait to seem him light it up at Patersons sometime this year.

Actually, not to sound like a horrible traitor, but i'd probably prefer that... :oops:
Nothing wrong with that. Hill isn't a perfect player but he's very very good. I doubt there is a single player of his age who has had such consistent attention from the opposition since his debut simply because he's so damaging. There is no doubt it's caused him to go into his shell at times but as we see in the games where he's off the leash he carves when unchecked.
Simpson looks more aggressive and brash in the way he goes about it but we will have to see how he goes with the attention of AFL standard taggers. Of course if they have to tag him it means Hill gets more room :)
Having players like Simpson and Pearce around him should be a perfect compliment. You don't want all your players of the same type, unless they were all Fyfe in which case we would romp to a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The building of a list with line-breaking balance is the thing.The list management mob are on their reputation and looking OK.
We let Lower go and kept Lachie and we've got no other flying-bricks..we're going for a plan where bloody near everyone is in on the ball and if you're not Greg Williams you're not getting the ball to space.
Kirk was the epitome of having relentless impact on every contest rather than a big impact on the occassional.
Hilly will get better again he's only just finishing with being a kid,and had to shoulder a bit more than he should've.
I think we'll play some tough and exciting footy.

Nothing wrong with that. Hill isn't a perfect player but he's very very good. I doubt there is a single player of his age who has had such consistent attention from the opposition since his debut simply because he's so damaging. There is no doubt it's caused him to go into his shell at times but as we see in the games where he's off the leash he carves when unchecked.
Simpson looks more aggressive and brash in the way he goes about it but we will have to see how he goes with the attention of AFL standard taggers. Of course if they have to tag him it means Hill gets more room :)
Having players like Simpson and Pearce around him should be a perfect compliment. You don't want all your players of the same type, unless they were all Fyfe in which case we would romp to a flag.

This is the best and most accurate Hill post I have read in my time on BigFooty. Kudos.

I too seriously look forward to seeing him strut his stuff but think if we do see anything of him, it will only be cameos as the super-sub. The fact he hasn't played in the 1's yet for the Sharks would seem to indicate he might need a bit more time.

Very exciting though and looks agood pick up!

Tbh looks like he might need a little work on his kicking those are the highlights and he was off on quite a few of them...however that run through the middle is very sweet. sends shivers down my spine.

Sydney might have developed the slingshot well last year but I get the feeling freo is going to take it to the next level this year. Lyon knows how to do it and how to beat it. Freo but for an unlucky call in the final few minutes against Mzungu woul have beaten the swans

Tbh looks like he might need a little work on his kicking those are the highlights and he was off on quite a few of them...however that run through the middle is very sweet. sends shivers down my spine.

Sydney might have developed the slingshot well last year but I get the feeling freo is going to take it to the next level this year. Lyon knows how to do it and how to beat it. Freo but for an unlucky call in the final few minutes against Mzungu woul have beaten the swans

It wasn't so much unlucky rather another pathetic umpiring decision against Fremantle. Absolutely massive push in the back.

I think we erred in that game with Barlow as the sub.
The game was transformed immediately when he came on.
We outplayed them for two and a half quarters. ( we'll beat them there this year ).

It'll be interesting to see if we use all three of Hill, Danyle and Josh at the SCG.

Well he came equal first in the AFL kicking test at draft camp and can kick on both feet. No 18 year old has a perfect highlights package.

Well he came equal first in the AFL kicking test at draft camp and can kick on both feet. No 18 year old has a perfect highlights package.
It's like Fyfe, has the mechanics and onboard computer to be sublime just can't always land them the way he wants yet. Some of his kicks are delightful and he has really sweet timing to kick that far, that easily at his size.

Loving the term "slingshot" reckon might be the buzz word for 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back