ND Pick 39 - Max Duffy

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bond/Lloyd must really rate him because for me he does not really fit a need.

Half-forward is starting to look like a very difficult position to get an opportunity at Freo. And not simply because we have a pretty decent group of players for that position in Ballantyne, Walters, Mellington, Crozier and I would think Simpson's debut could be there. The other reason is that the midfield itself is look tight for places. I'm not saying Ballantyne for example won't get a run through there occasionally, but D Pearce and Morabitto are going to make it a little more difficult for that to happen as well before we even get to Neale, Sutcliffe etc.

I wouldn't mind one of the zone breaking Hill, D Pearce or Morabitto playing across half-back fairly consistently.

So exciting.

Mellington is an interesting one. If I recall they were looking at developing him as a mid. If he has the endurance he would probably make a terrific inside mid. Crozier I believe will also play on the wing/half forward.
I'm a little surprised by the way the team is panning out. It isn't quite what I expected when Ross came to Freo.

A few have said Peake Mrk II. I just don't see it with his style of play. Peake ran in straight lines and didn't have half the tricks Duffy seems to have.

They seem quite different in style of play to me.

Your right, I was using their names for the output/outcome rather than the exact playing style. After only just watching his highlights video, I think he could have potential and if he comes on, could become a gun. I think he doesn't fill a need but the recruiters have a hard on for x factor at the minute.

I just hope the game is changing to require masses of lighting quick runners with x factor rather than big men. Seems like we're filling our list with these and endurance machines for new rules that may or may not come.

Another vid with Duffy in it. It says he was a state representative in Basketball (U16´s) which he says helped him a lot with his football. Makes those lookaway handballs ect make sense now.

Also loved his comment in the previous vid that he doesn´t want to waste another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread has enormous knobs on it.

We have been interested in Duffy ever since he moved to the Breeding Ground of Champions and Malaxos started singing his praises to anyone who would listen.

The Duffy highlights reel on fremantlefc neglects to include his more outrageous efforts - the efforts that Moo was talking about when he said he catches your eye and works like a navvy.

Take a look at this and tell me you still want some almost-tall with a Hawaiian shirt tattooed on his arm?

http://wel-cdn220-is-1.se.bptvpd.ng.../2013/Draft/2012Draft_DuffyHighlights_2mb.mp4

I'm a big fan of that full speed diagonal running, I can see the Steve Johnson comparison.

I don't have any problem with arrogant footballers, they can think they are the greatest thing since the sun started to burn - just as long as they are proud to play for Fremantle and proud to play with their team mates. It might even demand a higher standard from each other.

Poor reflection on Duffy. Mike Ellis is a legend of WA basketball and an ex NBL coach.

It's amazing that players when cut blame the coach but never look at the reason why they were cut.

Where is he blaming the coach? All I've seen him say is that he should thank Ellis for cutting him as it got him focussed on footy....

This thread has enormous knobs on it.

We have been interested in Duffy ever since he moved to the Breeding Ground of Champions and Malaxos started singing his praises to anyone who would listen.

The Duffy highlights reel on fremantlefc neglects to include his more outrageous efforts - the efforts that Moo was talking about when he said he catches your eye and works like a navvy.

Take a look at this and tell me you still want some almost-tall with a Hawaiian shirt tattooed on his arm?

http://wel-cdn220-is-1.se.bptvpd.ng.../2013/Draft/2012Draft_DuffyHighlights_2mb.mp4

Nice find. That's a pretty damn impressive highlights reel!

I work with a guy who doubles as a scout for an eastern states AFL club and asked him about Max Duffy after reading the general dismay in this thread this morning. For what its worth he rated him very highly, describing him as 'very talented and capable of freakish things'. He thought the kinks in his game could well be sorted out by the step up to an AFL training environment and that the supposed issues with his character were fairly par for the course and unlikely to persist as he matures.
He was unsurprised he went when he did and thought he was good value for pick 39.

Would that be a HAWKS scout ?

You seem to know the background...

At risk of being accused of believing the gospel of the written FB but didnt he want to leave Perth and disliked Freo??

Not true. Had no problem with Freo and they were going to take him but changed their mind late , after the MRI scan.
He is loving it at Geelong though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back