NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Yeronga field conditions have caused an interesting challenge for AFLQ. They have GC Suns playing a few games there. In particular, Mt Gravatt in Round 1 and Aspley in Round 3. There won't be much time to get the undersoil right and turf on and growing. Mt Gravatt get a Suns home game this season but not Aspley. I wonder if this will cause a revision on all counts? Two Suns games at Dittmer Park would be a welcome outcome and boost for the Vultures.

Sherwood get a few Lions games early. Given that they started with turf, it'll be a little easier to get that oval up to speed. Well done Griffith Moorooka and Aspley for turning up in numbers to assist the Magpies with clean up.

Wondered when someone would catch on about his departure to Western Bulldogs who drafted Zephi Skinner. A big loss as he is such an impressive individual off the field. Hope Zephi and Brett don't have to pose with the PM, I hope that was written into their contracts !!

Wondered when someone would catch on about his departure to Western Bulldogs who drafted Zephi Skinner. A big loss as he is such an impressive individual off the field. Hope Zephi and Brett don't have to pose with the PM, I hope that was written into their contracts !!

Speaking of contracts Thunderdoc,I hear in your contract as NT doc that you are not allowed to attend games due to your JINX reputation.:)

Racking my brain on what the Aflq community could do to help flood victims. Thought about maybe a game between Div 1 and 2 premiers of 2010, being Morningside v's Noosa with all proceeds to go to the relief effort. I know it there is a big diiference between the comps, but think it would generate some interest. Players pay 10 dollars to participate and 5 dollar general admission. Both clubs provide volunteers for match day operations. Game played at Morningside to maximise supporter potential, one week before season and heavily promoted by Aflq. Thoughts people?

What about the bottom side from the State League Div 1 vs premiers of Div 2? Maybe the side bottom after Magpies (broadbeach?).

I would pay to see that......

All the best wishes to Roger The Dodger, really hope he dodges this one and recovers in no time! Thoughts go to him and family. Prayers for you mate!

Just wondering what the general opinion is about the NEAFL. With quite a few crossover games beginning this year, how will these games go? In general are QLD teams stronger or weaker than ACT teams?

We all know that there is more money in Canberra and they are geographically closer to AFL heartland, however I also know that the Swans ressies didn't lose a game for a couple of years until they reduced the number of listed players allowed to I think 12? compared to 16? in QAFL.

It is this reason why I believe that overall the QLD teams will be stronger than ACT teams although I am sure Ainslie would beat the lower QAFL teams.

Other opinions?

One of the main reasons the NEAFL has come to be is the Swans have lobbied for a better league for its reserves to play in and with GWS coming in that suddenly became important.

I have no doubt the QAFL has been stronger across the league than the ACT but the crossover games in a scheduled season will give us the difinitive answer,Labrador get to play Ainslie so both clubs have few friends organising the draw based on the assertion that they are the stand out club in the ACT.

Funny that Labrador also get to play Nth Adelaide in the Champions League and travel to Darwin the week before the finals (wonder how many Grand Final sides across all leagues travel interstate the week before the finals ) or is life full of coincidence after coincidence.

The best thing for QLD footy is the NEAFL because it will force improvements at all levels, it will drag even officiating and administration forward because there will be Australia wide scrutiny of what is happening in the league.

I would have liked to have seen a revamp of the awards with new league medals struck, possible MVP and the larger invlovement of VFL, SANFL or WAFL people to help move it forward.

One of the main reasons the NEAFL has come to be is the Swans have lobbied for a better league for its reserves to play in and with GWS coming in that suddenly became important.

I have no doubt the QAFL has been stronger across the league than the ACT but the crossover games in a scheduled season will give us the difinitive answer,Labrador get to play Ainslie so both clubs have few friends organising the draw based on the assertion that they are the stand out club in the ACT.

Funny that Labrador also get to play Nth Adelaide in the Champions League and travel to Darwin the week before the finals (wonder how many Grand Final sides across all leagues travel interstate the week before the finals ) or is life full of coincidence after coincidence.

The best thing for QLD footy is the NEAFL because it will force improvements at all levels, it will drag even officiating and administration forward because there will be Australia wide scrutiny of what is happening in the league.

I would have liked to have seen a revamp of the awards with new league medals struck, possible MVP and the larger invlovement of VFL, SANFL or WAFL people to help move it forward.

There are a few other teams with poor draws also, i didn't notice Labrador were one of them. It will be tough on them this year, to try and back up last years effort with a tough draw. Their are teams worse off travel-wise though.

How are all the clubs and club people coping after the floods?

MVP is an interesting idea, who would vote and how would it be structured?

Anymore recruiting news? I think someone said it before but most clubs seem to be keeping their cards close to their chest. I have not heard as many names or rumours this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a few other teams with poor draws also, i didn't notice Labrador were one of them. It will be tough on them this year, to try and back up last years effort with a tough draw. Their are teams worse off travel-wise though.

How are all the clubs and club people coping after the floods?

MVP is an interesting idea, who would vote and how would it be structured?

Anymore recruiting news? I think someone said it before but most clubs seem to be keeping their cards close to their chest. I have not heard as many names or rumours this year.

I'm looking forward to getting to watch a few of these games. I've never looked forward to a footy season like 2011. GWS playing their first games, a new east coast league that will only become stronger. Especially when players in Melbourne realise the weather is far better then in Mexico. Plus clubs playing against sides in higher leagues will only help further the up and coming players on the east coast.

I'm looking forward to getting to watch a few of these games. I've never looked forward to a footy season like 2011. G

Couldn't agree more. No disrespect to the Western Maggies but them out and GC Suns ressies in will significantly improve Northern Conference. The Champions trophy thing will be interesting and the GC coming into AFL, for me it is the season I am looking forward to most. I reckon the poms kicking our arse in the Ashes has probably made me keen for footy as well.

Tommy Tarrant to PBC apparently.

Couldn't agree more. No disrespect to the Western Maggies but them out and GC Suns ressies in will significantly improve Northern Conference. The Champions trophy thing will be interesting and the GC coming into AFL, for me it is the season I am looking forward to most. I reckon the poms kicking our arse in the Ashes has probably made me keen for footy as well.

Tommy Tarrant to PBC apparently.

I heard a whisper tt was coaching cooly?

I heard a whisper tt was coaching cooly?
Big E I will knock that on the head tommy might play there only, but there coach is a school teacher not sure name, cooly picked a few from the vultures, cash going to the vultures to try his luck, heading to the right place for it to work.

Big E I will knock that on the head tommy might play there only, but there coach is a school teacher not sure name, cooly picked a few from the vultures, cash going to the vultures to try his luck, heading to the right place for it to work.

the vultures seem to be losing a few, is it true they struggled to pay their players this year?

the vultures seem to be losing a few, is it true they struggled to pay their players this year?
Vultures players where paid, the blokes at cooly live down the coast, thats the reason behind there move. Panthers have only paid half there match payments from 2010, wonder when they will get the rest.

I am really looking forward to the season as well, you can feel the interest building among the AFL faithful.

MVP: Clubs nominate a couple of players, and the players then vote for those players from other clubs not their own. At the AFL level players like Carey and Mathews were duly recognised as greats even though they never won a brownlow.It seems to get the right results year on year.

Panthers have only paid half there match payments from 2010, wonder when they will get the rest.

Panthers have retained pretty much their entire list from what I hear. Some of their loyal blokes probably will not worry too much about their final match payments from 2010. The worry is when their loyal warriers retire, they may struggle to keep up with some of the more financial clubs in the league as it is unlikely that the next generation will serve them as well and/or expect more money.

I expect in the next 3-4 years the NEAFL may go past a couple of clubs financially and sad as it is Morningside may be one of them.

Panthers have retained pretty much their entire list from what I hear. Some of their loyal blokes probably will not worry too much about their final match payments from 2010. The worry is when their loyal warriers retire, they may struggle to keep up with some of the more financial clubs in the league as it is unlikely that the next generation will serve them as well and/or expect more money.

I expect in the next 3-4 years the NEAFL may go past a couple of clubs financially and sad as it is Morningside may be one of them.
Really hope not!! Such a powerful club, I really hate seeing clubs like this getting buried due to the big picture.Despite the fact that I follow Mayne and Morningside/Mayne were a passionate rivals back in the day, I really don't want them to be demoted or go under!

Agree with you TigerG, it is about time traditional clubs got a bit more support. I am also not convinced that the "so-called financial" clubs are guaranteed long term survival. If most of their income is from poker machines their future is tenous. Some of them are in areas where the demographic helps their support and this will change in time. We have a State government that is struggling and it is a simple option to buff up their coffers by increasing their take of the gaming revenue. I am quite surprised that State Treasury haven't done it already.

In regards to the Panthers they have a very well run football organisation and players in Brisbane need a State Leaugue club. What alternative is there anywhere near that region ?

Its a good point Thunderdoc, we want to keep the competition as pure as possible with long standing clubs remaining, but how is this possible in the long term? I agree that Clubs that rely on Pokies may find this unsustainable sooner rather than later, in fact all revenue streams for football clubs are unsustainable, the sponsor is only good if he pays you this year, and if he can't next year well who knows? The canteen needs volunteers to generate that revenue, raffles need volunteers, memberships and coteries are a year by year propositions. I would be curious if there is a budding administrator out there who can solve the problem of how we make clubs income sustainable in the long term. The league is not going to tip in nor is the government, and with the NEAFL demanding more from the clubs resources year by year, I don't think Morningside are the only one with concerns, I think the majority of clubs are potentially only one or two years away from the fete we saw fall on the Northern Eagles. Thoughts?

Its a good point Thunderdoc, we want to keep the competition as pure as possible with long standing clubs remaining, but how is this possible in the long term? I agree that Clubs that rely on Pokies may find this unsustainable sooner rather than later, in fact all revenue streams for football clubs are unsustainable, the sponsor is only good if he pays you this year, and if he can't next year well who knows? The canteen needs volunteers to generate that revenue, raffles need volunteers, memberships and coteries are a year by year propositions. I would be curious if there is a budding administrator out there who can solve the problem of how we make clubs income sustainable in the long term. The league is not going to tip in nor is the government, and with the NEAFL demanding more from the clubs resources year by year, I don't think Morningside are the only one with concerns, I think the majority of clubs are potentially only one or two years away from the fete we saw fall on the Northern Eagles. Thoughts?

Southport and Aspley have plenty of money and my belief is that pokie revenue is more reliable and sustainable than sponsorship or chook raffles any day of the week. NT are sustainable as long as the government props them up- they committed for 5 years (this year and 2 more), after that who knows?

Redlands and Labrador are in what would be described as a solid position and are not in any danger in the foreseeable future.

Broadbeach, Mt Gravatt and Morningside have challenges ahead in the next few years. Western Maggies already pulled the pin and may have gone the way of Northern Eagles if not for the Lions relationship.

In the Pineapple Hotel Cup, most of the clubs are broke and/or in debt. I heard that only 2 clubs actually paid all their AFLQ fees in full last year.
To be honest though, this situation is not new to sporting organisations worldwide in every code, yet the vast majority thankfully find a way through.
That said I would be surprised if the current format of the NEAFL stays the same in the next 3-5 years. Nth Qld and Sydney club teams (1 or 2) may come in and a couple of weaker QLD and ACT clubs may drop out. Perhaps 2 conferences of about 8 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back