Need home loan advice

Remove this Banner Ad

First time I've ever had cause to head into the Money board!

I've recently come into a bit of a windfall - I have about a 60% deposit on an apartment I'm looking at.

Problem is I'm from a family of poor people with little history of home-ownership, so I have no idea of the process.

Are there any useful links out there? All I can find on google are banks, and you kind of get held up at the point they want to try and sell you a loan (so you can get info beyond that.)

• What's reasonable for body corp fees for an apartment in Melbourne?
  • What should council rates be? The council webpage says 5% of CIV, which is "total market value of the land plus buildings and any other improvements of your property." But that's like 20k a year - that can't be right can it?
  • In terms of a loan, how do you go about shopping around? Do you just go to your bank first and go from there?
  • How do you go about figuring out an offer?
  • If it's an apartment in a new development, will the price be pretty firm anyway?
  • And first home owners grant - as far as I can tell my bank does that application for me, right?
  • Also, redraw facilities - are they standard with variable loans? I have a little bit more than a 60% deposit - I could probably put another 3-5% in, but I'd really want to have a redraw facility just in case. Are they more expensive than they're worth?
  • Given all the interest rate rises over the last 12 months, you'd be looking at a variable loan, correct? Or do people still recommend splitting it to insure yourself against any further rises?
  • Where do I find out what insurance I need for an owner occupied apartment in a 100-apartment (new) building?

I know that's a lot, but I don't even really know where to start...
Power Raid got the rest but you're generally looking at around $2k for council rate payments in most jurisdictions of Melbourne. Your body corp fees will come down to what sort of apartment building you're buying in and can vary wildly although I'd say $2k will be around the mark also. The older low rise apartments in places like Footscray/Brunswick/North Melbourne are generally cheaper than the newer ones in places like Docklands or South Melbourne.

Edit: apparently my body corp fees guess is way out of date and $3-4k is the going rate for basic apartments these days

Last edited:
First time I've ever had cause to head into the Money board!

I've recently come into a bit of a windfall - I have about a 60% deposit on an apartment I'm looking at.

Problem is I'm from a family of poor people with little history of home-ownership, so I have no idea of the process.

Are there any useful links out there? All I can find on google are banks, and you kind of get held up at the point they want to try and sell you a loan (so you can get info beyond that.)

• What's reasonable for body corp fees for an apartment in Melbourne?
  • What should council rates be? The council webpage says 5% of CIV, which is "total market value of the land plus buildings and any other improvements of your property." But that's like 20k a year - that can't be right can it?
  • In terms of a loan, how do you go about shopping around? Do you just go to your bank first and go from there?
  • How do you go about figuring out an offer?
  • If it's an apartment in a new development, will the price be pretty firm anyway?
  • And first home owners grant - as far as I can tell my bank does that application for me, right?
  • Also, redraw facilities - are they standard with variable loans? I have a little bit more than a 60% deposit - I could probably put another 3-5% in, but I'd really want to have a redraw facility just in case. Are they more expensive than they're worth?
  • Given all the interest rate rises over the last 12 months, you'd be looking at a variable loan, correct? Or do people still recommend splitting it to insure yourself against any further rises?
  • Where do I find out what insurance I need for an owner occupied apartment in a 100-apartment (new) building?

I know that's a lot, but I don't even really know where to start...
I used to live in an apartment and was chairman of the board for two years - happy to help where I can.

What amenities does the apartment have?

You have to think, body corp fees help maintain the building. Anything with a pool, tennis courts, gym etc will up that price.

Go to a broker, they will definitely help you.

In terms of the offer, what is the asking price? Set yourself a limit, and don't be afraid to say no.

You'll only need contents.

Thanks so much for all your help there Power Raid

I guess the obvious follow up question is how do I go about getting a good mortgage broker who is working for me and not for particular banks?
I can recommend you one if you like.

He got us the valuation we needed after going to 6 (!) different banks.

I can recommend you one if you like.

He got us the valuation we needed after going to 6 (!) different banks.

I'd be very happy to receive a PM with recommendations! I think that's the way I'm going to find a good, is through a recommendation.

I've been looking on "rate my agent", but all you have to go on are the random ratings and maps that hopefully have properties in your area.

I'd be very happy to receive a PM with recommendations! I think that's the way I'm going to find a good, is through a recommendation.

I've been looking on "rate my agent", but all you have to go on are the random ratings and maps that hopefully have properties in your area.
Oh, just realised you're in Tassie.

Speak to some friends of yours who own property and they should be able to assist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back