Social Science Negotiating/bargaining

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll attempt to bargain and negotiate if the other person comes across as sale-sy and tries to use pseudo salesman tactics. If they're genuine and indifferent and it's already a fair price then I'll pay.

I know people who would pay for price for wedding services just so that they can fluff up how much they spent at their wedding. Paying $500 for a band that usually costs $1500 means they have to tell people they spent $19,000 rather than $20,000 on their wedding.

RE: electronics, retailers essentially operate on a principle of making a reducing profit per item over time which is to be expected with stuff that is regularly being superseded. No different to cars, really. You don't see a brand new 2014 model car sitting in a dealership today, it's gone by the time the calendar ticks into 2015.

If you order a pallet of 50 TVs for $1000 each then you need to recoup $50,000. Sell the first 15 for $2000 and the next 15 for $1500 and you've already covered your outlay. You can sell the remaining 20 for cost or below and come out on top. The people who always need the latest and greatest effectively subsidise the people who aren't phased if they are buying something that is a few months old.

I bought a computer recently. Advertised price $2498, got it for an even $2k. Bought a washer/drier combo a few years back. Advertised price was about $1500, got it for $1100. Helps to know people on the inside, but staff only work within their business model. Talking to a mate RE: computers it was along the lines of 'that one I can do for $500 off, this one $200 off, that one nothing I can do' etc. They know what's new, what's old, what the margins are etc.

Also stuff like computers, cars, whitegoods etc. are markets with a lot of competition. Don't want a Nissan? Buy a Mitsubishi. Don't want a Mitsubishi? Buy a Mazda. Etc. There are a stack of small 4 cylinder cars in the $20k range. Ditto Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo, whatever products. But if you want an Apple you pay the Apple price. Their tech supersedes same as everyone else but their pricing is pretty uniform. They have the bargaining power to say that an iPhone X costs $1000 and a Macbook costs $2000 or whatever and retailers/consumers go along with it because it's a mini monopoly.

Sounds like a boring night with a bunch of stiffs.

Negotiate your way to some more interesting friends.
Somehow I get the sense he wasn't too out of place in that room.

'I explained to everyone that we saved $500 on our wedding by paying cash'

tumblr_mz837jbboX1tp7q0oo1_500.gif

RE: electronics, retailers essentially operate on a principle of making a reducing profit per item over time which is to be expected with stuff that is regularly being superseded. No different to cars, really. You don't see a brand new 2014 model car sitting in a dealership today, it's gone by the time the calendar ticks into 2015.

If you order a pallet of 50 TVs for $1000 each then you need to recoup $50,000. Sell the first 15 for $2000 and the next 15 for $1500 and you've already covered your outlay. You can sell the remaining 20 for cost or below and come out on top. The people who always need the latest and greatest effectively subsidise the people who aren't phased if they are buying something that is a few months old.

I bought a computer recently. Advertised price $2498, got it for an even $2k. Bought a washer/drier combo a few years back. Advertised price was about $1500, got it for $1100. Helps to know people on the inside, but staff only work within their business model. Talking to a mate RE: computers it was along the lines of 'that one I can do for $500 off, this one $200 off, that one nothing I can do' etc. They know what's new, what's old, what the margins are etc.

Also stuff like computers, cars, whitegoods etc. are markets with a lot of competition. Don't want a Nissan? Buy a Mitsubishi. Don't want a Mitsubishi? Buy a Mazda. Etc. There are a stack of small 4 cylinder cars in the $20k range. Ditto Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo, whatever products. But if you want an Apple you pay the Apple price. Their tech supersedes same as everyone else but their pricing is pretty uniform. They have the bargaining power to say that an iPhone X costs $1000 and a Macbook costs $2000 or whatever and retailers/consumers go along with it because it's a mini monopoly.
Yep, and I'd have done exactly the same thing.

The friend I refer to in my OP earns a good wage (6 figures), and dresses nicely, but it's definitely a pride thing for him not to ask for a discount as it would appear he could come across as poor.

I think that's stupid but each to their own at the end of the day.

I just bought a new house and talked them down $30k. However to be fair i probably spent $30-$40k more than i wanted to pay.

Bought it xmas eve so they wanted it gone before the holidays so that probably helped a little

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People that try to squeeze or negotiate annoy the s**t out of me, I give a quote at work and that's the price. If you don't like it go somewhere else... I'm not dropping my pants just for someone who is worried about saving 20 bucks and who I likely will never see again.

In a trade background it's particularly annoying as what right to randoms have to tell me my price is high, when they only see the end product and have no idea of how much work is involved in any particular job

When I was young I worked in a large national retail chain.

Actually had a lot of people try to negotiate. At least a couple a week.

Is that the best price you can do?

What if I pay cash?

What if I buy 4 or 5 of them, how much then?

Really couldn’t get their heads around it. It’s a national business with pricing controlled by a team in head office in Sydney. The hungover (still drunk) 18yo in aisle 3 isn’t going to be able to haggle with you and give you a discount, fool.

When I was young I worked in a large national retail chain.

Actually had a lot of people try to negotiate. At least a couple a week.

Is that the best price you can do?

What if I pay cash?

What if I buy 4 or 5 of them, how much then?

Really couldn’t get their heads around it. It’s a national business with pricing controlled by a team in head office in Sydney. The hungover (still drunk) 18yo in aisle 3 isn’t going to be able to haggle with you and give you a discount, fool.
I'm probably just a bit too trusting/naive in that I have always just see the price and think 'ok that is the price, and don't even consider negotiating'

People that try to squeeze or negotiate annoy the s**t out of me, I give a quote at work and that's the price. If you don't like it go somewhere else... I'm not dropping my pants just for someone who is worried about saving 20 bucks and who I likely will never see again.

In a trade background it's particularly annoying as what right to randoms have to tell me my price is high, when they only see the end product and have no idea of how much work is involved in any particular job
Knowing what you do, as an individual I probably wouldn't try to negotiate, but if I was representing a business that might come back to you I'd probably try to get some kind of repeat customer rates.

I'm probably just a bit too trusting/naive in that I have always just see the price and think 'ok that is the price, and don't even consider negotiating'

Depends on the situation. Generally the higher the price of something, there’s negotiation to be done.

A car for example.

Some people actually ask for a discount on stuff like clothing in a department store. It happens regularly. It’s just bizarre.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS negotiate when dealing buying a new car, dealing with tradies (quoting on jobs - concreting etc) and when purchasing at JB Hi-Fi.

They have wriggle room. It's just annoying when they do come to the party with a lower price, as I think, well why didn't you just quote that price initially !

ALWAYS, ALWAYS negotiate when dealing buying a new car, dealing with tradies (quoting on jobs - concreting etc) and when purchasing at JB Hi-Fi.

They have wriggle room. It's just annoying when they do come to the party with a lower price, as I think, well why didn't you just quote that price initially !
They didn't quote that price initially because they're a business that needs to make money, and will make as much as they can from each transaction.

Knowing what you do, as an individual I probably wouldn't try to negotiate, but if I was representing a business that might come back to you I'd probably try to get some kind of repeat customer rates.
yeah but there is a difference in how I approach customers like that as well, if we are thinking there will be repeat work in it you do the best price you can, the trick is knowing who is legit and who isn't as everyone tries to claim they will get a heap of stuff done in the future.. mind you I try do the best price I can for most people, unless they are a pain in the arse and then I load it up

I'm not a good haggler and tend to shop around.

When it comes to negotiation and the need to haggle I basically have a set number and only move once in a slight direction (direction depends on buying or selling).

From there I walk away. Basically this is what you want/this is what I want, I split the number (if practical or to a reasonable imo alternative) and basically say take it or leave it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back