Social Science Negotiating/bargaining

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 1, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Swinburne
So one night I was at the strip club with a few mates, we were interested in getting some lap dances. It was a busy evening after the footy and there were a lot of overweight slovenly looking guys there. Not being too full of myself, but I'm a fairly well put together guy and relatively easy on the eye, so I mention this to a dancer and tell her that giving me a dance at a reduced rate, $20 rather than $50, works out well for both of us. She won't have to grind up against a disgusting pissed up lardball, and I'm a kind and respectful guy. She agreed and proceeded to take me to a booth for a dance, and we both benefited from the negotiated transaction.

Later that night, and several more drinks deep I approached another dancer for another lap dance. Having been successful earlier I attempted to negotiate again. This time my approach was different, and this girl being a little bit more, chunky, I told her that she didn't really deserve the same rate as the more attractive strippers, and that maybe she should lower her prices or I'd got to one of her competitors. This attempted negotiation was less successful, and the dancer quite firmly told me to move on.

One of the key tenets of negotiating is to know your position of bargaining power, and to know when the negotiation is appropriate. SM I know you've got a wedding and bucks coming up, so take these factors into consideration.

People that try to squeeze or negotiate annoy the s**t out of me, I give a quote at work and that's the price. If you don't like it go somewhere else... I'm not dropping my pants just for someone who is worried about saving 20 bucks and who I likely will never see again.

In a trade background it's particularly annoying as what right to randoms have to tell me my price is high, when they only see the end product and have no idea of how much work is involved in any particular job
Maybe you should had car washing to your service then and I wouldn't feel so ripped off.

Wait so people in a service industry provide cheaper prices when you pay cash?

giphy.gif

Maybe you should had car washing to your service then and I wouldn't feel so ripped off.
Maybe you should not be a jerk and deliver the car in an appropriate stage of readiness

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
So one night I was at the strip club with a few mates, we were interested in getting some lap dances. It was a busy evening after the footy and there were a lot of overweight slovenly looking guys there. Not being too full of myself, but I'm a fairly well put together guy and relatively easy on the eye, so I mention this to a dancer and tell her that giving me a dance at a reduced rate, $20 rather than $50, works out well for both of us. She won't have to grind up against a disgusting pissed up lardball, and I'm a kind and respectful guy. She agreed and proceeded to take me to a booth for a dance, and we both benefited from the negotiated transaction.

Later that night, and several more drinks deep I approached another dancer for another lap dance. Having been successful earlier I attempted to negotiate again. This time my approach was different, and this girl being a little bit more, chunky, I told her that she didn't really deserve the same rate as the more attractive strippers, and that maybe she should lower her prices or I'd got to one of her competitors. This attempted negotiation was less successful, and the dancer quite firmly told me to move on.

One of the key tenets of negotiating is to know your position of bargaining power, and to know when the negotiation is appropriate. SM I know you've got a wedding and bucks coming up, so take these factors into consideration.

True. But also if you are in a weak bargaining position the key is then bluff. Can you convince others your worth or utility is worth more than it actually is?

Feb 1, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Swinburne
True. But also if you are in a weak bargaining position the key is then bluff. Can you convince others your worth or utility is worth more than it actually is?
Of course, but in the situation I described, the bluff was difficult on both ends, and open and honest communication led to a satisfactory negotiation for both parties. I also got a squeezer, so there's that.

This time my approach was different, and this girl being a little bit more, chunky, I told her that she didn't really deserve the same rate as the more attractive strippers, and that maybe she should lower her prices or I'd got to one of her competitors. This attempted negotiation was less successful, and the dancer quite firmly told me to move on.
Can't see how this failed to be honest

Can he start with your boat :mask:
Maybe he could actually, it needs a good clean, maybe I'll just get him to wrap it so I don't have to clean it before I sell it. Willo_ how much to wrap a 5.5m half cab boat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he could actually, it needs a good clean, maybe I'll just get him to wrap it so I don't have to clean it before I sell it. Willo_ how much to wrap a 5.5m half cab boat?
You couldn't afford me

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was perplexed. Surely in that industry you're acutely aware of your value and should be open to negotiating.

You lost the first rule of salesmanship/promotion. By driving down her value you put her on the defensive early so her natural inclination is to hold ground and maintain her position.

In economic terms you tried to argue on supply and demand (she was ugly so not in high demand so should lower her $) but you inadvertently s**t your own nest by revealing your lack of demand. You should've argued she was beautiful and a luxury product (hence more elastic in demand) and would be served better by changing price to attract customers.

That way you get a cheap dance and she holds value in her own mind. Win/Win.

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I probably wouldn't negotiate with a tradie as such after they've quoted a price, but I'll ask to see if they want to do a cash job. Most tradies I've dealt with have been hopeless so I generally only use people I know or DIY. I've got a mate who is a sparky and if I have a small job needing doing he'll generally just pop around and do it on his way home. Cheap price for cash and not out of his way. Win win.

Feb 1, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Swinburne
You lost the first rule of salesmanship/promotion. By driving down her value you put her on the defensive early so her natural inclination is to hold ground and maintain her position.

In economic terms you tried to argue on supply and demand (she was ugly so not in high demand so should lower her $) but you inadvertently s**t your own nest by revealing your lack of demand. You should've argued she was beautiful and a luxury product (hence more elastic in demand) and would be served better by changing price to attract customers.

That way you get a cheap dance and she holds value in her own mind. Win/Win.
She wasn't ugly, just fat.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I probably wouldn't negotiate with a tradie as such after they've quoted a price, but I'll ask to see if they want to do a cash job. Most tradies I've dealt with have been hopeless so I generally only use people I know or DIY. I've got a mate who is a sparky and if I have a small job needing doing he'll generally just pop around and do it on his way home. Cheap price for cash and not out of his way. Win win.

The best way to get competitive pricing is to make sure each tradie knows you'll be getting more than one quote. (or a have a mate you trust of course)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The best way to get competitive pricing is to make sure each tradie knows you'll be getting more than one quote. (or a have a mate you trust of course)

I don't think each tradie cares if you are getting multiple quotes. If they want the work they'll quote competitively, if not they'll add a margin.

I know one guy who quoted to build a pergola when he was flat out so quoted high then got a call back saying he was the cheapest quote.

I don't think each tradie cares if you are getting multiple quotes. If they want the work they'll quote competitively, if not they'll add a margin.

I know one guy who quoted to build a pergola when he was flat out so quoted high then got a call back saying he was the cheapest quote.
there are times when we quote and we add a bit purely because the person is a dick or hard to deal with.
So you either don't get the job and don't have to deal with said person - win
or you get the job but you make plenty off it - win

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

That's the point, if you get three quotes the one who actually wants the work should get it (or they ****ed the quote up of course).

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's the point, if you get three quotes the one who actually wants the work should get it (or they ****** the quote up of course).

Or you wind up with a bloke who uses cheaper materials and labour.

A decent chunk of my job is tendering and ive rarely gone with the cheapest up front option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back