Oppo Camp Nemesis

Remove this Banner Ad

Interviewer: "Do you regret saying or doing xyz"
Scomo: "Well, yes, but only because of the way it was portrayed"

Repeat ad nauseum

He was, is, and always will be, Scotty from Marketing.
Basically he meant every word, just doesn’t understand why saying that may lack empathy, logic or basic human interactive skill.

Repeat ad nauseum

Prosperity theology, when you view yourself as being the chosen one then it's not your fault others don't understand that.

Shame nobody asked him about Brian Houston going to Washington.
indeed .... also found it odd they didnt address the robodebt issue (yeah - they touched on it in episode 1)

they were happy to deal with the multiple ministry matter [revealed months after his electoral defeat] ........ but didnt go anywhere near the RC hearings ...... strange

Repeat ad nauseum

Never sorry for any actions, just sorry how things got received. He still seems to have no idea at all why some of the things he said had such a bad reaction. I mean, there's no media distortion of him saying that women's marches are met with bullets in other parts of the world. What was actually going through his head when he said that? It's just mind boggling that a) he said it, and b) he still expects everyone to understand his intentions were pure.

Also, "suburban dads have a clumsy way of talking" is insane. It doesn't matter if you're a suburban dad, you're the Prime Minister of our country ffs!!!

Never sorry for any actions, just sorry how things got received. He still seems to have no idea at all why some of the things he said had such a bad reaction. I mean, there's no media distortion of him saying that women's marches are met with bullets in other parts of the world. What was actually going through his head when he said that? It's just mind boggling that a) he said it, and b) he still expects everyone to understand his intentions were pure.

Also, "suburban dads have a clumsy way of talking" is insane. It doesn't matter if you're a suburban dad, you're the Prime Minister of our country ffs!!!
It was an attempt at hoovering up the crowd that were still impressed by a suburban lawyer like Howard.

"But I think one of the things as a leader, I could have done a lot better, was having started well connecting with Australians as Prime Minister, um, that emotional connection between me and many Australians was lost."

Well, here it is folks. Classic tale of the narcissist.

I have seen this so many times in my life - with people who are unbelievably affable, charming, charismatic, have good personality traits. You like them at first, but over time, their true character traits start to show. The lying, the manipulation and so on. You find out what they are really like. Feel a bit silly falling for it. Others tell you it was the same with them.

And so Scott, you remained your same self through all of that, but you were always treading a path that led to this reckoning. And no number of photos of hammering in nails or welding without a visor was going to change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who comes out of all of that looking the worst?

Scomo is IMO the worst PM we have had in my time, but I wonder if there is a recency bias at play. At least he fronted up and faced the music. Tony Abbott on the other hand - I'd forgotten just what he was like, and choosing not to participate I think harmed his image from the point of view of this series. Maybe he really truly was only able to do three words at a time!

Did I miss the bit about Robodebt?
The program was about the backroom Machiavellian antics of the three major players that led to each one's demise.

The fact that none of the interviewees sought to mention Robodebt is a damning indictment on the Coalition; they all believed in was OK, legal and even when it started to hit the fan it did not cause any internal dissent or pressure on the main players or even from the Coalition back benches

In other words the Coalition didn't give a flying Farnacle about legailty of their actions and the trickle down effect their actions caused to the most disadvantaged of this nation

Personally I would liked to know more about Morrison's gang of three (Roberts et al) and how much inflence did their religiosity influence the Government's decision making

So who comes out of all of that looking the worst?

Scomo is IMO the worst PM we have had in my time, but I wonder if there is a recency bias at play. At least he fronted up and faced the music. Tony Abbott on the other hand - I'd forgotten just what he was like, and choosing not to participate I think harmed his image from the point of view of this series. Maybe he really truly was only able to do three words at a time!

Overall, I'd say Barnaby Joyce and by the length of Conrod Straight. If it is possible to have a negative IQ, then he is the person to prove it. A terrible politician, a useless National Party leader and an embarrassment to all Australians.

And of the three PM's I'd say:
1. Scott Morrison - I don't think he was as out of his depth as Abbott, but he gets my vote as Australia's worst PM, to date. He was a strong communicator (2019 election is a good example - he pounded Shorten into the turf), but he wasn't always able to read the room, and while he may chalk it up to being a "clumsy suburban dad" I think it has more to do with his narcissistic personality and the fact that he loved being the centre of attention.
2. Tony Abbott - the fact that he didn't appear didn't help him, but everybody knew pretty early that while he is an excellent leader of the opposition, once it came time to lead, he was out of idea's before he finished his victory speech.
3. Malcolm Turnbull - I'm not a fan of his, but he came across as quite competent, but I think he was in the wrong party. By the time he became PM, the Liberals had moved three steps to the right and he was out on his own and powerless.

Obvioulsy a lot not covered in this last episode, maybe due to the ICC waiting in the wings.
There are many that were recorded in this episode that will be required to give evidence.
Some strange opinions on what sort of a person he was/is.I guess his followers were way to generous.
Ever covering his aample Rse, never realising the god not who got him to where he did arise to,
Hopefully we will see and much of the hearings that will come.
I want tos ee him squirm and be told to stop telling lies.See how his smarmy, smirk goes when that happens.

Pretty sure plenty of people have been telling Morrison to "stop telling lies" for years. Has he changed his behaviour?

I'm only part through the last episode, but it is worth noting Morrison continuing his rhetorical approach to admitting mistakes considering he has no elections left to win. Compare this with the candor of Keating during Labor in Power, where Keating gave the interviews while he was PM. Keating was many things, but he was authentic and honest in his answers. If a week is a long time in politics, 30 years is almost an entire existence.

The other comparison with Labor in Power is that despite similar time periods (Labor in Power was 5 hours covering 10 years, Nemesis 4.5 hours covering 9 years), they still managed to cover so much that the Hawke Government did. Nemesis (despite a number of things going on that were policy related that were not covered, such as the multi-stage tax cuts, permanent fixes to school and health funding, going more into trade deals, etc) is almost entirely about the internal horse race.

Obvioulsy a lot not covered in this last episode, maybe due to the ICC waiting in the wings.
There are many that were recorded in this episode that will be required to give evidence.
Some strange opinions on what sort of a person he was/is.I guess his followers were way to generous.
Ever covering his aample Rse, never realising the god not who got him to where he did arise to,
Hopefully we will see and much of the hearings that will come.
I want tos ee him squirm and be told to stop telling lies.See how his smarmy, smirk goes when that happens.

There was a taste of that in the Robodebt Royal Commission where he had to face actual lawyers instead of a weak and compliant media.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back