AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Steelers & Penguins
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=58398

Premier announces major projects for Perth

13th February 2008, 13:30 WST

getfile.aspx

WA Premier Alan Carpenter has today announced the State Government’s plans for the Barrack Street foreshore redevelopment and further works on the Northbridge link project.

Stage 1 of the waterfront front is expected to cost $300 million. The plan will be available for public comment soon, with construction expected to start in 2011 or 2012.

“The most notable thing about the development is its generous, well designed public spaces with unrestricted public access to the riverfront,” Mr Carpenter said.

“It will activate the river frontage, creating an activity hotspot both day and night for local residents and visitors.”

Mr Carpenter also announced Stage 2 of the Northbridge Link project, which would cost about $9 million. He said the first stage of the project was already underway, with the construction of the $335 million Perth Arena.

Today’s announcement follows last week’s decisions on the Subiaco stadium project at a cost of $1.1 billion and the construction of a new museum, to be built at the site of the old East Perth Power Station at a cost of $500 million.

PICTURE GALLERY: The proposed Northbridge and foreshore redevelopment.

Also:

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23207632-948,00.html

WA Premier Alan Carpenter today announced a $300m Perth Waterfront Project aimed at rejuvenating the city foreshore entertainment area.
The $300million Perth Waterfront Project follows last week’s announcement that the Government would build the $1.1billion outdoor stadium at Subiaco and a $506million museum at the East Perth Power Station site.

Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan said the project would ensure the city’s premier entertainment venue was linked to public transport and a brilliant urban environment.

“The first phase of development will include cafes, bars, shops and offices for thousands of employees, residential dwellings and housing,” Ms MacTiernan said.

“The public open spaces will be outstanding and particular attention will be paid to creating high quality streetscapes.”

The final Northbridge link masterplan will be released shortly. It was developed by the East Perth Redevelopment Authority (EPRA) in partnership with the City of Perth and the Public Transport Authority (PTA) following extensive community and stakeholder consultation.

The State Government will be in discussions with the City of Perth to finalise land development and timing issues.

The government also announced a commitment to initial works of the Northbridge Link Project, bringing Perth’s CBD and Northbridge together.

Mr Carpenter said the Government had allocated $9million to develop land along Wellington Street near Perth Arena as public open space and for mixed, commercial, residential and tourism uses.

The money would be used to create a genuine forecourt for the Perth Arena, an upgrade of Wellington and Milligan Streets and a road transport link that would allow the long-awaited redevelopment of the Perth Entertainment Centre site.

It would also open up the potential of the parcel of land which separated the Perth Arena and the old entertainment centre - which the Government hoped would become a new hotel for Perth.

“The Northbridge Link project will bring new vitality and activity to Perth, stimulating private sector investment in the city and helping to reinvigorate Northbridge and the Cultural Centre,” the Premier said.

“This initial development, which covers 6.3ha from the Perth Arena to the Entertainment Centre, is expected to attract investment in excess of $600million.”

Land development as part of the State Government’s role in the project begins in 2008-09, and is expected to be completed in 2012.

Now, personally I am all for this kind of development. But does anyone think it a little ironic that one of the first things that was done after Court was kicked out was the cancelling of them spending $20m redeveloping Barrack St jetty? Labour spent so much time whinging and complaining about the Bell tower, which cost $3-4m and we are now spending $300m. Typical political bullshit. :rolleyes:

But that is not the point. I hope this goes ahead, will be good for the city. The price of apartments in the city must be skyrocketing right now. The price of land in South Perth must be going through the roof.

They really are on a mission to get rid of this dullsville tag! Not that it bothers me, I would prefer people think this place is boring and stay the **** away. I want it updated, but not full of ****wits like the Gold Coast or w***ers like Sydney. :thumbsu:

Wow, interesting design to say the least :D

Does it really need it though? Just asking, I don't know s**t about the area (Can't be as dull as Adelaide lol)
Perth has the "Dullsville" title for a justified reason.

Perth's CBD foreshore needs it badly, it is massively under-utilised. The problem is that there is a void (of sorts) between Barrack St jetty and all the other attractions (shops, cafes, offices, etc) in the city proper a couple of blocks north, so relatively few people get down to the river to appreciate its beauty.

I do like what they're proposing here.

Looks different - looks fantastic.

The sooner we turn Perth into something that doesn't resemble (visually, culturally, politically and ideologically) the Perth that's been in place for the past 180 years or so, the better.

This is a good place to start.

I do like what they're proposing here.

So do I, except for the massive bloody hotel they've whacked right in front of my building in the design. When we shifted offices a couple of years ago one of the major selling points was that we'd have "views forever".:eek:

Still, personal gripes aside its a fantastic design - will have to wait and see if it gets off the ground though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back