New AFL Video Game - Wii - Q&A Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome, the features sound so much better than the AFL PS3 game already, although they could be exactly the same due to the same publisher, if these features are in the PS3 game, and the gameplay is great like it promises, it will be amazing.

Hi Everyone,

I hope this answers many of your questions and I am definitely happy to answer any more questions you have. So keep the questions coming! You can also contact us via the website www.wicked-witch.com.au and info@wicked-witch.com.au. Happy gaming!

FEATURE LIST LOOKS AMAZING! Good to see I can play with my Gamecube controller as i get annoyed playing sports games with the wii-mote.

Awesome, the features sound so much better than the AFL PS3 game already, although they could be exactly the same due to the same publisher, if these features are in the PS3 game, and the gameplay is great like it promises, it will be amazing.

Same publisher not equal same developer. Both Ross and Ray have said that the games go in different directions (one more simulation the other more arcade like).

Same publisher not equal same developer. Both Ross and Ray have said that the games go in different directions (one more simulation the other more arcade like).
Yeah but then how does the arcade game have better real life features?

Also, who has to get the rights to a game, the developer or the publisher?

Yeah but then how does the arcade game have better real life features?

Also, who has to get the rights to a game, the developer or the publisher?

I believe the arcade/sim reference is directed towards gameplay not features.

The publisher owns the rights, just ask Infinity Ward about the Modern Warfare IP. :cool:

The publisher owns the rights, just ask Infinity Ward about the Modern Warfare IP. :cool:
Sweet, so one would assume that if Wicked Witch had rights to using the International Cup, TAC Cup, Under 18 Championships and VFL, so would Big Ant?

Sweet, so one would assume that if Wicked Witch had rights to using the International Cup, TAC Cup, Under 18 Championships and VFL, so would Big Ant?

You would guess so, I'm sure Ray or Ross could confirm this.

Not too sure if Ross would want to comfirm that, he has kind of dodged the question a few times. I'm not saying he should answer the question, but we have to wait for a presser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like the Wii title is packing a lot of features and I'm definitely going to have a look at the Wii title now. Has Wicked Witch and Big Ant done any cross development, like faces and such to cut down devlopment time?

Even if the gameplay is sub par the management aspects seem like a lot of fun. I didn't particularly like AFL 2007 but I enjoyed career mode and the off season stuff and just simulated half the games.

how much has bigant shared with wicked witch?
How many seasons inn career?
Is there My player?
Is GC suns in the game?
Is it fun?
Are the graphics (and players faces) similar to Bigants game?

Hi Everyone,

There are too many features to list even in this lengthy post, some of the main ones are....

I am glad that the question about AFL Challenge has been asked and how the two games compare. The title AFL Challenge was a promotional project to be bundled with the Sony PSP. As developers we often have little control over how the finished product is sold, marketed and distributed. AFL Challenge was given only a few months development time and a mini game budget. In fact originally it was even going to be a 2d game, similar to our mobile AFL java games that have been available on Telstra for the last few years. All things considered, the project was a success; however we were not involved, or necessarily comfortable with the way expectations were managed and can certainly understand how consumers, that may have expected a full featured game of FIFA standard, may have been disappointed. AFL Wii is not related to AFL Challenge in any way; the only similarity between the two titles is that they are both AFL titles!

I hope this answers many of your questions and I am definitely happy to answer any more questions you have. So keep the questions coming! You can also contact us via the website www.wicked-witch.com.au and info@wicked-witch.com.au. Happy gaming!
I have to say I am VERY impressed.

Certainly didn't expect the AFL Challenge question to be answered, but very glad you did and in a manner that perhaps explains why it wasn't as good as most expected.

One thing I'm not sure was answered in there was how long has the game been in development for? We know BigAnt have taken a little more than 2 years, is this the same for the Wii title?

Online capabilities? I saw that you can have 8 players drop in and drop out on 1 system, but does this include online similar to the PS3/360/PC versions where you can have up to 7 (on PS3) on one system going up against 1 other person online?

Would be interested on the graphical side of things. I'm not expecting anything outstanding, since it's just not capable on the Wii, but something that is above PS2 standard (where by we can recognise players JUST that little bit more) would be fantastic.

Definitely making me want to purchase 2 versions of the game now, PS3 and Wii as they do seem like completely different titles that will offer (hopefully) something great on both systems.

All depends on the contract signed. Most likely HES/Tru Blu hold the IP rights to the AFL game and all the other licenses. But it is also likely that Wicked Witch - in an attempt to build and make their game as different to the PS3/360/PC version as possible - went out and purchased the licensing rights. Thus Wicked Witch could have the exclusive rights to them.

FWIW I don't think it's that BigAnt didn't 'want' the other licenses for the game. I just think they didn't have time considering the amount of work that would be needed to put 50+ extra teams players into the game (which using the same facial tech would've taken another year to put in).

Sorry, good pickup rickbrah. Gold Coast is included and is part of our 70+ teams in the game. We are having issues getting the rights for GWS Giants so unfortunately they will not be part of Career mode which is disappointing as far as we are concerned. However you will be able to play with them in Quick Match and customise their line-up.

The PS3/XBOX360/PC version has a major focus on balanced online play which is a lot of fun and thus, as far as I am aware, will not be including the International Cup, TAC Cup, Under 18 National Championships and VFL.

We had a very strong vision for this title and unfortunately we couldn't get all our wish list into one title. Career Mode lasts 10 seasons and there is a slight blend of Manger/My player so that we set the foundations for potentially having a pure My Player mode in any possible sequels. It is definitely one of the most popular sporting game modes in this studio, we just were not able to put everything we wanted into one game. Especially considering how many firsts we have packed into this game!!!!!

There has certainly been communication and cooperation between the two studios to share the workload where possible as we both want to be able to deliver the highest quality, most fun product achievable and this allows us to focus on nailing the unique aspects of our own games. Yes our faces are similar to BigAnts however they are limited to the capabilities of the Wii. But don't fret, you will get an enormous kick out of how recognisable our player faces are! BigAnt have really outdone themselves and have completed some fantastic face modelling which I find a blast to finally play AFL with players I recognise in HD. Hopefully you all feel these two titles are the AFL games you have been waiting for. If both games get enough support both BigAnt and Wicked Witch will be able to improve their feature offerings for any potential sequels. Unfortunately if AFL titles continue to be less supported than Rugby games (even in Australia), it may be a long wait before other great modes like My Player ever feature in an AFL game.

We have some screenshots on the way so stay tuned. We just need to make sure that guernseys and sponsors are accurate for 2011 before we post anything.

Sorry, good pickup rickbrah. Gold Coast is included and is part of our 70+ teams in the game. We are having issues getting the rights for GWS Giants so unfortunately they will not be part of Career mode which is disappointing as far as we are concerned. However you will be able to play with them in Quick Match and customise their line-up.

The PS3/XBOX360/PC version has a major focus on balanced online play which is a lot of fun and thus, as far as I am aware, will not be including the International Cup, TAC Cup, Under 18 National Championships and VFL.

We had a very strong vision for this title and unfortunately we couldn't get all our wish list into one title. Career Mode lasts 10 seasons and there is a slight blend of Manger/My player so that we set the foundations for potentially having a pure My Player mode in any possible sequels. It is definitely one of the most popular sporting game modes in this studio, we just were not able to put everything we wanted into one game. Especially considering how many firsts we have packed into this game!!!!!

There has certainly been communication and cooperation between the two studios to share the workload where possible as we both want to be able to deliver the highest quality, most fun product achievable and this allows us to focus on nailing the unique aspects of our own games. Yes our faces are similar to BigAnts however they are limited to the capabilities of the Wii. But don't fret, you will get an enormous kick out of how recognisable our player faces are! BigAnt have really outdone themselves and have completed some fantastic face modelling which I find a blast to finally play AFL with players I recognise in HD. Hopefully you all feel these two titles are the AFL games you have been waiting for. If both games get enough support both BigAnt and Wicked Witch will be able to improve their feature offerings for any potential sequels. Unfortunately if AFL titles continue to be less supported than Rugby games (even in Australia), it may be a long wait before other great modes like My Player ever feature in an AFL game.

We have some screenshots on the way so stay tuned. We just need to make sure that guernseys and sponsors are accurate for 2011 before we post anything.
Wow already a Gold Member on your first day, you guys are doing better than Big Ant!

Game sounds awesome, now really considering buying the game on Wii rather than PS3 although the main reason I play video games is to sit down and relax at night, not get up and move around, very interesting how the features (or teams) are better than the Big Ant game when this game is apparantly meant to be a more arcade like game!

Not too sure if Ross would want to comfirm that, he has kind of dodged the question a few times. I'm not saying he should answer the question, but we have to wait for a presser

For us it was about the time spent doing that and the risk of a time blow-out against our other objectives.

I believe the Wii and PS3/X360/PC versions complement each other well enough and are different enough that you should buy both!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back