Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Sorry didn't see this anywhere
Aussies who share 'misinformation' could face massive fines

The Albanese government's new laws to prevent the spread of 'misinformation' could see individuals hauled before a watchdog empowered to issue millions in fines.
Thoughts ? On one hand I get it. We saw the damage misinformation had during covid and we see it with climate change

On the other, would need to be very very clear...otherwise it feels anything could be misinformation

Sorry didn't see this anywhere
Aussies who share 'misinformation' could face massive fines

Thoughts ? On one hand I get it. We saw the damage misinformation had during covid and we see it with climate change

On the other, would need to be very very clear...otherwise it feels anything could be misinformation

On one hand I like it, where someone is held to account for making statements they themselves don’t accept as a bona fide or well held belief or public interest that has serious ramifications. It is no different to defamation.

But it is open to abuse, shutting down debate, limiting free speech and thought.

Even ridiculous statements can provoke thought and that in itself has value.

Mind you, I'd love politicians to be referred to crimes and corruption and held to account for misinformation

Last edited:

The likelihood of someone referring to 1984 in cases like this is generally inversely proportional to the chances of them actually having read the book.
I'd have thought these sorts of laws could have prevented the dystopia portrayed in these books. You know, since we have always been at war with Eurasia.

I'd have thought these sorts of laws could have prevented the dystopia portrayed in these books. You know, since we have always been at war with Eurasia.
This Bill isn’t designed to protect anybody other than the rich and powerful, hence why they have explicitly excluded all information produced by all levels of government, the corporate media, and education institutions from the Bill.

There are absolutely no good intentions in this.

a laudable aim but weak legislation that allows the major transgressors to go largely unchecked. no gov’t has the cojones to take ‘em on.:mad:

this >

You have to think that pumping up the "you could go to prison" angle while trapping innocent people in a debt recovery program contributed to suicides or at least mental health episodes of people victimised by Tudge, Morrison, Miller, and Roberts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gets to decide what is misinformation? Seems a bit China ish to me. Easily open to abuse.
That's the challenge isn't it, why I think it would be hard to ever do.

I do think people and especially politicians should be held accountable for spreading lies, how you do it becomes a real challenge.

I think it's a good idea to stop misinformation.

I think this massively misses the mark.

Firstly because it exempts political parties (so laws for thee, but not for me) and fails to address the problem.

I don't really see a huge problem when ex-druggies I know from school are telling people that vaccines are bad. Idiots are going to be idiots and we shouldn't legislate against people being stupid and wrong.

But the big problem is when they're trying to make a buck from it. As soon as the platform which is sharing misinformation starts sharing links to fundraising pages, political sites or merchandise, that's when laws should come into effect. Obviously, the biggest perpetrators of this are political parties, but they're being exempted.

The problem isn't idiots.

The problem is using misinformation to manipulate for wealth or power.

How to apply it to the platforms themselves (i.e. facebook, twitter, insta) is harder.

This law looks like it will just hit stupid people, but not those behind the misinformation using it to build wealth and power.

The Government can strip my right to say "North Melbourne will be premiers, just you wait and see" from my cold, dead hands.

On one hand I like it, where someone is held to account for making statements they themselves don’t accept as a bona fide or well held belief or public interest that has serious ramifications. It is no different to defamation.

But it is open to abuse, shutting down debate, limiting free speech and thought.

Even ridiculous statements can provoke thought and that in itself has value.

Mind you, I'd love politicians to be referred to crimes and corruption and held to account for misinformation

This should be done first.

this is the space i'd be concentrating on first. but no gov’t has the guts to take ‘em on. pay tax and stop spreading falsehoods.

this is the space i'd be concentrating on first. but no gov’t has the guts to take ‘em on. pay tax and stop spreading falsehoods.

companies pay no tax anywhere, rather they pay PAYG on behalf of shareholders who pay their personal tax rate in efficient tax regimes. It is no different to PAYG for employees, companies don't pay income tax on payroll rather than pay on behalf of employees.

It is interesting that a thread about disinformation has a link to a twitter post spreading disinformation or "part truths"

The changes to legislation are actually very benign in practice but ironically it won't stop a panic by the biggest consumers of dubious information

companies pay no tax anywhere, rather they pay PAYG on behalf of shareholders who pay their personal tax rate in efficient tax regimes. It is no different to PAYG for employees, companies don't pay income tax on payroll rather than pay on behalf of employees.

It is interesting that a thread about disinformation has a link to a twitter post spreading disinformation or "part truths"
arrant nonsense.

Will the government provide a service where views can be checked before publication?

Imagine making the claim the world may be round and creationism might not be 100% correct........and then be called out for heresy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back