News New Hawk Dallas Willsmore a small-town hero

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? He's not there to get the contested ball. He's there to find space. Only people who should be concerned about contested ball numbers are our midfielders, small forwards and defenders.

Sorry, I will rephrase.

He has been described to me as a softer, slower, Clinton Young. I was trying to be nice.

His kick to rough in the last quarter was so beautifully weighted, I finally saw why he is on an AFL list.

For how long, we'll see, but if he can start hitting forwards like that 5 times a game, who knows.

You have to laugh at the predictability of posters who feel compelled to criticise outside midfielders for their low contested ball count and tackle count.
I wonder if it has ever occurred to them that their role is to run and carry. It is about gaining metres and hitting targets.
I loved the way Brad Hill played with us and is now playing for Freo. However many on this forum could only see him as "soft".

By the way I am not suggesting that Willsmore has many similarities to Hill, other than being an outside midfielder.

You have to laugh at the predictability of posters who feel compelled to criticise outside midfielders for their low contested ball count and tackle count.
I wonder if it has ever occurred to them that their role is to run and carry. It is about gaining metres and hitting targets.
I loved the way Brad Hill played with us and is now playing for Freo. However many on this forum could only see him as "soft".

By the way I am not suggesting that Willsmore has many similarities to Hill, other than being an outside midfielder.

Thank god you added that last line in.

Is he an outside mid though?

I have him in my head as a poor-man's Jack Gunston, roaming forward/utility.

I'm not seeing huge potential with Willsmore, to be honest...

Is he an outside mid though?

I have him in my head as a poor-man's Jack Gunston, roaming forward/utility.

I'm not seeing huge potential with Willsmore, to be honest...

Don't ask me. I am still mourning the disappearance of positions like wingmen, ruck rovers and centre men.

Come on son. Prove us all wrong!

Stats reveal unsung hero

Marc McGowan February 12, 2018 4:22 PM

They are in line with the 23-year-old's respective averages of 24.1 possessions and 9.1 marks in his 10-game reinvention as an intercepting defender last year.

Sicily's penetrating kicking was another feature as he duelled for best-on-ground honours with Jaeger O'Meara, who amassed 33 touches, seven marks, six clearances and a goal.

Most promisingly, O'Meara played without any strapping on his troublesome knees, which have restricted him to six AFL games in the past three years.

Jack Gunston (23 disposals, nine inside 50s), Tom Mitchell and Ricky Henderson (23 each), James Cousins (21) and Luke Breust (20 and a game-high three goals) were other major ball-winners.

Ex-Port Adelaide recruit Jarman Impey was also lively with 18 touches and three shots on goal.

But one player who may have snuck under the radar is fourth-year midfielder Dallas Willsmore, who gathered 29 possessions and used his 191cm frame to take six marks.

Willsmore made his AFL debut last year in Round 10 against Sydney, but played only one more match the following week against Port Adelaide before spending the rest of the season in state league ranks.

Hawthorn delisted the 22-year-old at season's end, but re-drafted him as a rookie as he enters the final year of his contract.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2018-02-12/stats-reveal-unsung-hero

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What position does he actually play?
Tends to play loose mainly down back. Similar to the role Goddard plays. Could see him on a wing. He can run but is not a burst player.

I’ve seen him be the main playmaker and he went alright. When he has to win his own footy he gets lost. Pity.

Shame we put so many games into Billy and so few into Willsmore.

Tends to play loose mainly down back. Similar to the role Goddard plays. Could see him on a wing. He can run but is not a burst player.

I’ve seen him be the main playmaker and he went alright. When he has to win his own footy he gets lost. Pity.

Shame we put so many games into Billy and so few into Willsmore.
Yeah again that sounds like Suckers (great kicking bursting through zones defence etc)

Suckers obviously went up the ground too and kicked crazy stupid goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back