Analysis New Rule Changes 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Do these benefit our game style/plan? I would think yes as we have a powerful midfield that should be able to benefit from 6 on 6 in the forward line at centre bounces.

Though we were poor at centre bounce clearances this year weren’t we? Hmmmm.....

Don’t hold your breath

The principle is good, but in fairness the hand in the back rule is already a hard one to adjudicate. Players are pretty good at exaggerating contact. Still, if the umpires put away the whistle for all but the most obvious cases...then I'll almost be happy.

The immediate standout is the scrapping of the hands in the back rule – a staple of the game for a long time.

A push in the back will remain a free kick, but the placing of hands on the back will no longer result in a free.
Terrible idea. We don't need another rule which relies so heavily on an individual umpire's interpretation (read: mood on the day). Watch this become as much of a lottery as incorrect disposal.

Otherwise, looks fine.

The immediate standout is the scrapping of the hands in the back rule – a staple of the game for a long time.

A push in the back will remain a free kick, but the placing of hands on the back will no longer result in a free.
Terrible idea. We don't need another rule which relies so heavily on an individual umpire's interpretation (read: mood on the day). Watch this become as much of a lottery as incorrect disposal.

Otherwise, looks fine.
I think it’s an improvement, who gives a s**t if you put hands on an opponent to hold your ground if you aren’t pushing? And why should you be able to push with a forearm?

Also LOL at that stupid rule being referred to as “long” a “staple of the game”. It was a dumb rule introduced roughly a decade ago.

I hope with the 5m kickout rule they have a line marked.

Last thing I want to see is umpires interpreting free kicks or non free kicks in that 4.5-5.5m range.

I think it’s an improvement, who gives a s**t if you put hands on an opponent to hold your ground if you aren’t pushing? And why should you be able to push with a forearm?

Also LOL at that stupid rule being referred to as “long” a “staple of the game”. It was a dumb rule introduced roughly a decade ago.
It’s not the principle I worry about, it’s the interpretation. One umpires ‘holding your ground’ is going to be another’s (probably the out of zone umpire) blatant push

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ruck rule is likely to change things most. It will remove the pretend ruckmen from sides that use them and mean that everyone will have at least 2 very tall players. This will alter backlines, as defences have to cope with an extra ruck size player at least some of the time. Our short defence will need to change.
The initial rule change to prevent rucks from taking possession at a bounce etc was never fair, and it is good to see the back of it.
In some discussions I have seen the statement that time wasting at free kicks and marks will be more closely scrutinized. In others it doesn't rate a mention. I hope it is worked on, but don't have much hope that any alteration will last. Umpires steadily deviate from an initial hard line in cases like this, eventually reverting to letting it go.

The interference that is a coaching staple on what to do at marking contests will, unfortunately, continue unchecked. The rules used to state that shepherding could not take place if the ball was not within 5 metres. If they still do, you wouldn't know it. I suppose that the AFL wants as many marks as possible, so even illegal acts that allow more marks will be condoned.

Holding the ball remains unaddressed. Probably the biggest reason for this is that we fans create such a fuss when one of our players is pinged, but the present interpretation encourages players to try and barge through tackles, and achieve a ball up if they are stopped. Fend offs are penalized if they fail, but not bullocking attacks on packs. Martin gets pinged but Caddy gets a ball up to choose my examples from Richmond.

There is still a long way to go.

So Mason will be getting even less frees next year then he did this year. Nice.
Cox left a huge imprint on the PF and the AFL acted lol.

We must not allow any player to totally dominate because it doesn't mean a level playing field lolololol.

AFL have been doctoring the rules to address 'imbalances' for decades.

Why now won’t every ruckman try to get hands on first, Try to grab is cleanly and pass it off.

I really don’t like this, it’s a massive change. It will benefit Grundy but I think this will change the role of the ruck way too much. I will wait and see how this one rolls out.

Why now won’t every ruckman try to get hands on first, Try to grab is cleanly and pass it off.

I really don’t like this, it’s a massive change. It will benefit Grundy but I think this will change the role of the ruck way too much. I will wait and see how this one rolls out.
Massive? I reckon it will hardly be noticed. You still get more reach from using one arm so it’s not like ruckman can just grab it whenever they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back