New team ideas and teams that should not be in the A league

Should we have the Nix in the A league?

• Yes we should have them in the A league

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No we should not have them in the A league

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Auckland city did join football NZ would have to play ball. They are by far the strongest side here and with them gone football development is all headed towards two academies (Phoenix and Auckland City) that aren't in their comps.

Football NZ is very incompetent though and I wouldn't hold my breath on them making smart moves and moving into Asia and embracing the a league more than they do. An Auckland team would be the best thing to happen to the Phoenix

Yeah I believe I normally see Auckland City representing Oceania at the World Club Championships quite regularly. I seem to recall the FFA and Football NZ butting heads over the Phoenix licence renewal because FNZ weren't willing to step in and provide more resources and assistance. I'm not sure how many NZ players are at the Phoenix currently and across the league in general, but if they did introduce an Auckland based side, that should only further improve the opportunities for NZ footballers to play professionally (as the NZ League is a semi professional league IIRC?).

I remember reading an article during the last round or world cup qualifying playoffs on whether the All Whites should follow Australia into Asia. Though surprisingly, I think many of the comments favoured the traditional playoff route over the more rigourous AFC route.

Another New Zealand team? They are utterly pointless. The A-League shouldn't be catering to the expansion of bloody New Zealand; the A-League is an Australian competition followed by Australians.

I was saying this to a mate the other day, but a game against the Phoenix is essentially a bye – nobody has any interest in going to watch their team play Wellington. The reality is, people need a reason to go a game in this country: the Phoenix offer absolutely nothing. They're never successful so it's not like the top two or three teams can cash in on a top-of-the-table clash, they have no connection meaning there's no actual rivalry or derby involving them, and their team consists of has-been hacks – they've never had a quality marquee and never will.

When you bring in a new team, it has to actually offer something. Obviously derbies are the trendy new go-to, but there has to be some sort of allure for the 'away' fan as well. This is why I have almost no issue in having more New South Wales teams, simply because an ultra-vibrant culture of travelling an hour to Sydney, Newcastle, Gosford, Cronulla, the Gong, whatever, is something that could really grow rusted-on support. Adding in a Wollongong Wolves, 'Sutherland Saints' (playing out of Cronulla and WIN Jubilee), North Sydney would be fine by me.

As for Brisbane 2, I did lol massively at Miron Bleiberg talking it all up. Do people not see through this? No substantial backers have ever been discussed for a second team there, but old mate Miron suddenly leaches onto some people who probably threw up the idea over a boozy lunch and suddenly he's gone 'oh yeah, there's a job for me here!' Miron is a shocking coach who is so irrelevant to the sport, and now he sees the idea of a new Queensland team as a job opportunity for him. The gall.

I think if you chucked a team up there, it'd have to be substantially different to the Roar, and as there's no real geographic divide, I think a second team could/should operate as an admittedly 'boutique' one. Run on a smaller scale, play at a pretty ground (if any exists?), and bring people in that way – sell yourself as the community club, the family club: $15 tickets and perhaps a majority Queensland roster. The Roar can set themselves up as the successful club and the bling bling club: The Victory and Sydney FC equivalent.

Also how could anyone seriously advocate a Wollongong club not to be named Wollongong Wolves? FFS the name is so cool, the imagery is there, everyone knows the name, it'd revive the derby with the Glory without needing to manufacture it, and nobody seemingly hates them in the area. They weren't ethnic, they didn't have a fat magnate bankrolling them, they've produced a few Socceroos, and people really like the idea of rebirth and continued lineage. Also, people who live an hour away from Wollongong proper aren't going to refuse to support a new team because they're 'Wollongong' and not 'Illawarra' – people in Albany, Geraldton, Busselton, Bunbury, Broome have no problem supporting the Perth Glory, Perth Wildcats, or Perth Scorchers – or even Fremantle Dockers – so these stupid all-encampassing names can go and get left behind in the marketing meeting floors they were born on.

Also, why is Perth overlooked for a second team? In 15 years it'll have the population of Brisbane and in 30 it'll be bigger. The growth rate is steady but more importantly, the sprawl of the city means we're seeing big geographic differences. There are also a huge percentage of Poms in Perth – and 90% of them live from Joondalup to Clarkson and Butler. I think it'd be a left-field, but really good, idea to set them up. They'd play at Arena Joondalup and try and rope in as many Poms as possible: ffs make them wear royal blue and call them the Lions or something.

I do agree that in an ideal world we'd have more Aussie teams but I think if an Auckland bid comes through - and the investors can guarantee they're in for the long haul and will support the club, then there's no real issue. Ultimately, if the bid is feasible and sustainable, that should be the main thing. As long as they don't drain FFA resources, it should be fine. More teams means more commercial revenue and sponsorship opportunities. It could also strengthen the hand of the FFA in future television deal negotiations.

The onus should be on more investors starting new clubs up in Australia (rather than the FFA creating puppet clubs in growth markets IMO). Like with the proposed second Brisbane team - the investors would submit a proposal to the FFA and then the FFA would need to determine if it would work or not and then sign off on it.

Another team in QLD is a must for me. South Brisbane Utd would work IMO. Gold Coast is not a good place to base a professional sporting franchise being a holiday destination.

The other team for the next phase of expansion would be either Canberra Capitals or Illawarra Utd.

Followed in 10 years time by adding a second NZ team in Auckland and adding ether one out of Illarawara / Canberra that didn't make it last time.

I don't think we can support more than 14 professional teams. That would work out nicely, with a 26 game league. With FFA Cup and finals matches you could play nearly 35 matches a season.

Just like it did in the NRL. Oh wait.

If it doesn't work for a rugby obsessed city how does it work for Football. There are disgruntled people leaving Roar at the moment but not enough to go anywhere near justifiying a second team. Canberra and the Wollongong/Sutherland corridor are the only options at the moment that seem remotely viable. Brian Cook as said once KP is completely done they'll look in to branching out trying to look at Twenty20 and or an A-League side as they'll have the ground for it.

Yeah I believe I normally see Auckland City representing Oceania at the World Club Championships quite regularly. I seem to recall the FFA and Football NZ butting heads over the Phoenix licence renewal because FNZ weren't willing to step in and provide more resources and assistance. I'm not sure how many NZ players are at the Phoenix currently and across the league in general, but if they did introduce an Auckland based side, that should only further improve the opportunities for NZ footballers to play professionally (as the NZ League is a semi professional league IIRC?).

I remember reading an article during the last round or world cup qualifying playoffs on whether the All Whites should follow Australia into Asia. Though surprisingly, I think many of the comments favoured the traditional playoff route over the more rigourous AFC route.

I do agree that in an ideal world we'd have more Aussie teams but I think if an Auckland bid comes through - and the investors can guarantee they're in for the long haul and will support the club, then there's no real issue. Ultimately, if the bid is feasible and sustainable, that should be the main thing. As long as they don't drain FFA resources, it should be fine. More teams means more commercial revenue and sponsorship opportunities. It could also strengthen the hand of the FFA in future television deal negotiations.

The onus should be on more investors starting new clubs up in Australia (rather than the FFA creating puppet clubs in growth markets IMO). Like with the proposed second Brisbane team - the investors would submit a proposal to the FFA and then the FFA would need to determine if it would work or not and then sign off on it.
Yeah the national comp here is semi pro and not worth my time to go watch and it's 10mins away and no other sport here in the summer.

The whole football NZ thing here is pretty murky. They still in fight a bit (national coach has slammed his bosses publicly for lack of games). Nobody seems to want to try and move from semi pro league & island playing nation. Maybe the feel a responsibility to OFC or don't feel the love from the AFC (probably both). Ideally FIFA would sort the two regions out and make Oceania just another sub region which only plays in the first stage of Asian qualifying like the real tiny Asian nations do.

Yeah the national comp here is semi pro and not worth my time to go watch and it's 10mins away and no other sport here in the summer.

The whole football NZ thing here is pretty murky. They still in fight a bit (national coach has slammed his bosses publicly for lack of games). Nobody seems to want to try and move from semi pro league & island playing nation. Maybe the feel a responsibility to OFC or don't feel the love from the AFC (probably both). Ideally FIFA would sort the two regions out and make Oceania just another sub region which only plays in the first stage of Asian qualifying like the real tiny Asian nations do.

Wasn't aware of the in fighting - sort of reminds me of the old Australian Soccer Association (before the FFA came into existence). Oceania really should just be absorbed into the AFC and be it's own sub region - let the Island nations play each other and the best performing ones can progress to the meatier qualification process. Maybe they need to have a dark day like Australia in 2003 did to be the catalyst for change.

It's kind of not the same though as they made it to a World Cup (ironically against an Asian opponent) so there isn't that massive hoodoo. The NZ FA also don't have a sly businessman like Frank Lowy doing the negotiating too. Considering he is a jew and managed to talk a primarily Arab powerbase to let us in the AFC shows the skills of that silver tongue of his.

It's kind of not the same though as they made it to a World Cup (ironically against an Asian opponent) so there isn't that massive hoodoo. The NZ FA also don't have a sly businessman like Frank Lowy doing the negotiating too. Considering he is a jew and managed to talk a primarily Arab powerbase to let us in the AFC shows the skills of that silver tongue of his.

Yeah I did think that - their WC drought isn't that bad given they snuck in only recently. Maybe in 30 odd years if they haven't qualified again in that time.

I guess the other possible thing is maybe they need a generation of good players to come and go that ultimately can't deliver another WC berth. Maybe if they believe they need to play more competitive matches against stronger nations, they might then decide it's the best way forward.

Personally I think that the A league should get rid of the Nix and make a team based in a place in Australia were there is no team. This would bring soccer to places were it was never really a thing. Places in contention would be Canberra, Tasmania or Cairns. Do you agree or disagree?
Post your opinion below.
Says the supporter of a Welsh club who have done s**t-all in England.
Firstly, I don't have a problem with the 'Nix. In fact, I love that they're in the league - while their fan base isn't huge, they're passionate as hell, and they give other small clubs something to aspire to. And people here in Australia like the Nix. The cross-Tasman campaign to keep them in the comp last year was awesome.
Nix must stay. Great fans and a great place to visit. Plus there's the distance derby.
And the "Nix need to stay in the league.
:hearts:
If Barcelona, Real, Dinamo Zagreb, CSKA Moscow and Hammarby IF from Sweden see no 'conflicts of interest' in fielding basketball, handball (and even ******* ice-hockey in the latter's case) sides etc., then why are Essendon/Carlton etc. so ******* boneheaded about it?? Because Gillon the penis-farmer continues singing from the Wayne Jackson/Andrew Demetriou hymn-sheet???
No, because Barcelona, Real, Dinamo, CSKA and Hammarby are presently all multi-sport clubs who at the time of their foundation did not care for petty rivalries between the basketball and football teams.
Another New Zealand team? They are utterly pointless. The A-League shouldn't be catering to the expansion of bloody New Zealand; the A-League is an Australian competition followed by Australians.

I was saying this to a mate the other day, but a game against the Phoenix is essentially a bye – nobody has any interest in going to watch their team play Wellington. The reality is, people need a reason to go a game in this country: the Phoenix offer absolutely nothing. They're never successful so it's not like the top two or three teams can cash in on a top-of-the-table clash, they have no connection meaning there's no actual rivalry or derby involving them, and their team consists of has-been hacks – they've never had a quality marquee and never will.
We now have 10 more years for you to ignore, and that's fine by me. Who apart from yourself has ever said: "Well, we're playing the Nix, I guess we'll just not go". It's not like we park the bus, we're an attacking side who can't do the little things right resulting in fatal mistakes... at the moment.

The Nix now have time to possibly sack Ernie right about now, develop their squad/youth, work out what the hell is going wrong and take us back to 2014/15 when we were defeating Victory in Melbourne and having a better away record than at home. The club needs a shake-up/clean out. We're nurturing Aussie talent, getting Ben Liftin and Jacob(?)Tratt in, as it says in our license, as well as helping Aussies Vinnie Lia and Andrew Durante have a roof over their head, despite needing to go urgently. We're a passionate club and we don't want to follow the same fate as the Knights.

We'll win this league one day and I hope its within the next 10 years to shut everyone up.

Last edited:
Says the supporter of a Welsh club who have done s**t-all in England.

:hearts:

No, because Barcelona, Real, Dinamo, CSKA and Hammarby are presently all multi-sport clubs who at the time of their foundation did not care for petty rivalries between the basketball and football teams.

We now have 10 more years for you to ignore, and that's fine by me. Who apart from yourself has ever said: "Well, we're playing the Nix, I guess we'll just not go". It's not like we park the bus, we're an attacking side who can't do the little things right resulting in fatal mistakes... at the moment.

The Nix now have time to possibly sack Ernie right about now, develop their squad/youth, work out what the hell is going wrong and take us back to 2014/15 when we were defeating Victory in Melbourne and having a better away record than at home. The club needs a shake-up/clean out. We're nurturing Aussie talent, getting Ben Liftin and Jacob(?)Tratt in, as it says in our license, as well as helping Aussies Vinnie Lia and Andrew Durante have a roof over their head, despite needing to go urgently. We're a passionate club and we don't want to follow the same fate as the Knights.

We'll win this league one day and I hope its within the next 10 years to shut everyone up.
Sorry Ando, got to agree with SA here. Last year I went to every City game bar a couple I couldn't get to through family commitments and the two against the Nix. After efforts like tonight, I don't think you have too many legs to stand on.

Sorry Ando, got to agree with SA here. Last year I went to every City game bar a couple I couldn't get to through family commitments and the two against the Nix. After efforts like tonight, I don't think you have too many legs to stand on.
Sorry TCB, I don't think you playing the 'Nix hampered your attendance.

Besides, in recent years, we've shown we can win by 4-5 goals, and then subsequently lose by 4-5 goals in consecutive matches so we're fine. We'll bounce back with a 3-0 win next week against the Jets and we'll all sing Kumbaya... Including the CEOs and Ernie..

Besides, in recent years, we've shown we can win by 4-5 goals, and then subsequently lose by 4-5 goals in consecutive matches so we're fine. We'll bounce back with a 3-0 win next week against the Jets and we'll all sing Kumbaya... Including the CEOs and Ernie..
True that Ando, and whilst I do have great respect for the Nix, I think they need to change something, because they need a winning culture, and they don't have that right now. By the way, how did you become a Nix fan?

True that Ando, and whilst I do have great respect for the Nix, I think they need to change something, because they need a winning culture, and they don't have that right now. By the way, how did you become a Nix fan?
- Gave up on Adelaide, I love underdogs,
- Love the Phoenix name and bird,
- Love the colours.

Yeah, winning culture is a big one. We don't have a realistic chance in the FFA Cup, so all we play for is the toilet seat and there's no chance of the ACL, so we should be doing better than this, playing solely in one competition every year. We have a great squad, we're just not gelling.

- Gave up on Adelaide, I love underdogs,
- Love the Phoenix name and bird,
- Love the colours.

Yeah, winning culture is a big one. We don't have a realistic chance in the FFA Cup, so all we play for is the toilet seat and there's no chance of the ACL, so we should be doing better than this, playing solely in one competition every year. We have a great squad, we're just not gelling.
Yeah, the Nix have good fighting spirit, and give it their all, but a winning culture is a must for a team, and the Nix don't really have it at the minute...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to share this article last week - not sure if anyone's seen it? An interesting concept/read.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...y/news-story/2f291420d52b8799c2375d80778c7c1b

Essentially a sports consultant by the name of Jon Smith (generic name much?) who was partly behind the EPL phenomenon revealed in his book that he helped coin up a bid for the A League to expand into Asia with teams from South East Asia (places like Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia etc) joining the League. Would have led to around 16 teams (possibly expanding to 20) and potentially would have increased the overall commercial value of the league, franchises and standard.

Apparently went up to FIFA for submission (9 of 10 teams agreed it was worth exploring) but FIFA had reservations of a cross country league as it might lead to European countries switching their divisions (say like PSG moving to Belgium for arguments sake). FFA also reportedly had some concerns as it meant Perth and the Nix could potentially be on the road for consecutive games (and the travel associated with that).

In essence, I assume it would have been a bit like Super Rugby (for Union) where a number of clubs from different countries participate in the same league.

A few interesting articles on the expansion front with 2 existing clubs vying to win licenses to join.

Head of A-League Greg O’Rourke has revealed that there are six bids that are vying to be the 11th and 12th team in an expanded A-League competition.

“We’ve had interest that has been publicised from Tasmania, we’ve had interest from Geelong, there has been work done in Southern Sydney, there have been talks of a second team in Brisbane, and others have contacted us or floated their ideas publicly.
http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/ffa-six-bids-vying-to-join-a-league-440931

Brisbane Strikers

FORMER National League Soccer champions Brisbane Strikers are set to lodge a formal bid for an A-League expansion licence.

The Strikers are understood to be the entity associated with Miron Bleiberg and several other unknown investors who are pushing for a second Brisbane team in the league.

They already have an academy structure in place and a home ground in Brisbane’s inner-northern suburbs, Perry Park, although it would require a significant redevelopment to be fit to host A-League games.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=FoxFootball

West Adelaide

National Premier League club West Adelaide are set to meet with Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler about a future coaching role for their ambitious A-League bid.

West Adelaide officials have also confirmed that the former National Soccer League powerhouse are currently negotiating with English Premier League champions Leicester City in an effort to form a partnership between the clubs.

"Our intermediary also met with the directors of the English Premier League club [Leicester] last week at a match.

Jatz & Fryer Tuck - know anything about this chaps?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/11/08/west-adelaide-target-fowler-league-bid

Heard a very minor mention of this, and I think this might have something to do with the Leicester-Adelaide rumours I heard of near the end of last season.

From a Director's point of view, I can see the merit of this. The owners want to expand Leicester in the Asian region for lots of reasons, and the A-League is one of the best leagues in Asia. Out of all the leagues, the A-League is the easiest to access, because unlike Japan, China, and Korea, the A-League runs on franchises and does not have relegation, so they can create a Tier 1 club as soon as FFA demands it.

We've seen the benefits of a well run newstart A-League club when done correctly, and if done in the same manner, it could be huge. Adelaide's passion is not to be underestimated in the slightest. A local derby between the two clubs could be very heated and potentially up there for biggest crowds. I think neglecting that Adelaide passion is one thing that gets overlooked when clubs try to target other places with little luck, and sometimes passion can carry further than just mere population (I also hear that Adelaide's population has started to boom in recent times, so getting in early could pay off later.)

The A-League is a quality league, and is the perfect stepping stone for say... good Thai talent to get their foot in (One only has to look at the framework King Power is setting up to figure out that getting a quality Thai player to be good enough for Leicester to be one of their goals, which will hopefully turn Thailand into an ASEAN powerhouse.) Australia's high ranking in Asia and the world also make it idea for superior Australian talent to get a ticket to Europe and a chance to start their journey at an ideal Championship team to prove their credentials. Also, if I'm not mistaken, will give West Adelaide a chance to get players from other A-League clubs due to that stupid restriction (correct me if that rule is no longer in play.

By creating what is basically the West Adelaide Foxes, this also allows fans of the new club to potentially choose Leicester as their PL team as well, and in the model of turning Leicester into a large club, one of the key steps in establishing a presence, especially when it opens the door for Leicester coming down to play games in Asia and increase exposure of the club.

The idea of growth is a common theme between Leicester and Adelaide, and it makes a lot of sense in context. I can certainly see a lot of similarities between the two, and can certainly see the benefit of establishing a club from scratch in Australia to make that vital Asian connection in a footballing sense.

Heard a very minor mention of this, and I think this might have something to do with the Leicester-Adelaide rumours I heard of near the end of last season.

From a Director's point of view, I can see the merit of this. The owners want to expand Leicester in the Asian region for lots of reasons, and the A-League is one of the best leagues in Asia. Out of all the leagues, the A-League is the easiest to access, because unlike Japan, China, and Korea, the A-League runs on franchises and does not have relegation, so they can create a Tier 1 club as soon as FFA demands it.

We've seen the benefits of a well run newstart A-League club when done correctly, and if done in the same manner, it could be huge. Adelaide's passion is not to be underestimated in the slightest. A local derby between the two clubs could be very heated and potentially up there for biggest crowds. I think neglecting that Adelaide passion is one thing that gets overlooked when clubs try to target other places with little luck, and sometimes passion can carry further than just mere population (I also hear that Adelaide's population has started to boom in recent times, so getting in early could pay off later.)

The A-League is a quality league, and is the perfect stepping stone for say... good Thai talent to get their foot in (One only has to look at the framework King Power is setting up to figure out that getting a quality Thai player to be good enough for Leicester to be one of their goals, which will hopefully turn Thailand into an ASEAN powerhouse.) Australia's high ranking in Asia and the world also make it idea for superior Australian talent to get a ticket to Europe and a chance to start their journey at an ideal Championship team to prove their credentials. Also, if I'm not mistaken, will give West Adelaide a chance to get players from other A-League clubs due to that stupid restriction (correct me if that rule is no longer in play.

By creating what is basically the West Adelaide Foxes, this also allows fans of the new club to potentially choose Leicester as their PL team as well, and in the model of turning Leicester into a large club, one of the key steps in establishing a presence, especially when it opens the door for Leicester coming down to play games in Asia and increase exposure of the club.

The idea of growth is a common theme between Leicester and Adelaide, and it makes a lot of sense in context. I can certainly see a lot of similarities between the two, and can certainly see the benefit of establishing a club from scratch in Australia to make that vital Asian connection in a footballing sense.

That's a pretty exciting scenario - I wasn't sure what extent the Leicester partnership would play but seems like it would be quite involved like Man City with Melbourne City (Heart). I recall there being rumours Cashley wanting to bring his Sports Direct reign of terror (shudder) to our shores and the wider Asia a year or so ago (ironically linked with buying the Aussie namesake club Newcastle when we were under FFA ownership) but that didn't eventuate (perhaps fortunately - though to his credit, he's slowly righting the many wrongs this season).

For Leicester, it definitely seems like a great way to help market and grow the Foxes' brand in lucrative Asian marketplace and potentially also offer elite Thai talent a pathway to a stronger league that can only help with their development. For West Adelaide, they would presumably gain expertise, capital and assistance through a parent club with much more substantial resources.

Will be interesting to see what further developments come out of this. I personally have no issues with A League clubs being essentially feeder clubs to European counterparts but some may disagree (see City's detractors haha).

That's a pretty exciting scenario - I wasn't sure what extent the Leicester partnership would play but seems like it would be quite involved like Man City with Melbourne City (Heart). I recall there being rumours Cashley wanting to bring his Sports Direct reign of terror (shudder) to our shores and the wider Asia a year or so ago (ironically linked with buying the Aussie namesake club Newcastle when we were under FFA ownership) but that didn't eventuate (perhaps fortunately - though to his credit, he's slowly righting the many wrongs this season).

For Leicester, it definitely seems like a great way to help market and grow the Foxes' brand in lucrative Asian marketplace and potentially also offer elite Thai talent a pathway to a stronger league that can only help with their development. For West Adelaide, they would presumably gain expertise, capital and assistance through a parent club with much more substantial resources.

Will be interesting to see what further developments come out of this. I personally have no issues with A League clubs being essentially feeder clubs to European counterparts but some may disagree (see City's detractors haha).

Certainly does appear to make sense. For EPL owners who have any compelling reason to create a presence in this part of the world, be it to promote the profile of their EPL club globally or due to business interests, access to EPL level resources would go a long way for an A League club. Can see it being a huge opportunity for a Leicester to grow their profile and potentially use an A League club as a 'farm' team to some extent. Given how many players EPL teams are loaning out or hoarding in bloated squads and academies these days, surprised the A League hasn't been more more radars already.

Certainly does appear to make sense. For EPL owners who have any compelling reason to create a presence in this part of the world, be it to promote the profile of their EPL club globally or due to business interests, access to EPL level resources would go a long way for an A League club. Can see it being a huge opportunity for a Leicester to grow their profile and potentially use an A League club as a 'farm' team to some extent. Given how many players EPL teams are loaning out or hoarding in bloated squads and academies these days, surprised the A League hasn't been more more radars already.

Exactly right - and for the local game, we get new teams who are backed by established and resourceful clubs overseas so it's probably less risky than giving the rights to a new owner/group and letting them start from scratch (i.e a Gold Coast United, NZ Knights etc). As the new team would be associated with their parent club in some way, its in the parent club's best interests to try and make the franchise successful to grow their brand and value.

Auckland City make tentative moves as FFA consider two-team A-League expansion
16644302.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Auckland City players celebrating after clinching third-place in a penalty shootout at the 2014 Fifa Club World Cup in Morocco.

Auckland City have tentatively put their name in the mix to become part of the A-League as Football Federation Australia (FFA) consider an expansion which could see two new teams.

FFA have decided to begin a formal process early next year for teams to enter the competition, with up to a dozen expansion markets existing around Australia and New Zealand.

Brisbane, southern Sydney, Tasmania, Auckland, South Melbourne, Canberra and Wollongong are all candidates, while Auckland City, the reigning Oceania champions, have also expressed an interest to join the Wellington Phoenix as the second Kiwi club in Australia's flagship competition.

Auckland City chairman Ivan Vuksich told AAP the club was in the "very early days" of looking at raising the capital.

READ MORE:
* Glen Moss runs 'daddy day-care'
* US soccer sack Juergen Klinsmann
* Junior Ferns knocked out of WC

"We'd obviously like to be involved," he said.

"We've made some tentative enquiries but it's very preliminary."

Since the admission of the Western Sydney Wanderers in 2012, football dreamers have looked forward to the next entry to boost the 10-team competition.

FFA bosses have opted for consolidation over the past five years, only toying with the idea of changing the line-up at crisis moments with existing teams; most notably in October last year at Wellington's expense.

But with the Phoenix's investors backing the New Zealand side for at least another three seasons after this one, the focus now is on expansion and not replacement.

Although they have made a slow start to the 2016-17 Stirling Sports Premiership season, Auckland City FC have experienced no lack of success since they were formed in 2004.

The team have won six national league titles, eight Oceania Champions League crowns and been to seven Fifa Club World Cups, finishing third in 2014.

Given that record, it is not a surprise they are interested in the possibility of joining the A-League. Other factors are also enticing.

Crowds, broadcast audiences and playing standards are all up on the up in the competition.

A-League chief Greg O'Rourke gave a timetable for possibly two new teams in the 2018/19 competition in a statement last week.

"A framework for expansion will be completed early next year which will allow (interested consortia) to submit expressions of interest in a framework which focuses on the viability of the the proposed franchise and its ability to provide benefits to the A-League and the game," it read.

In other words, it's game on.

As it stands right now, the A-League aspirants are at varying states of preparedness.

A well-financed Tasmanian bid, which has already met with FFA, believe it just needs the tick-off from head office to start investing and hit the ground running.

National Soccer League powerhouses South Melbourne have a champion second-tier team, a boutique stadium and a burning desire to be back among the big boys.

In Queensland, former Gold Coast United coach Miron Bleiberg believes fellow NSL winners Brisbane Strikers could be a viable force in the A-League, and is working with investors to plot a pathway into the top tier.

The choices for FFA extend further afield, with Geelong presenting a regional alternative for another Victorian franchise, while second teams in Adelaide or Perth are long-shot contenders.

No bids are expected from the Gold Coast or North Queensland, two regions burned badly by the A-League's disastrous first attempt at expansion.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...s-as-FFA-consider-two-team-A-League-expansion

I like the idea but I don't think we are ready for a second NZL team just yet maybe in the next round of expansion.

Auckland City make tentative moves as FFA consider two-team A-League expansion
16644302.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Auckland City players celebrating after clinching third-place in a penalty shootout at the 2014 Fifa Club World Cup in Morocco.

Auckland City have tentatively put their name in the mix to become part of the A-League as Football Federation Australia (FFA) consider an expansion which could see two new teams.

FFA have decided to begin a formal process early next year for teams to enter the competition, with up to a dozen expansion markets existing around Australia and New Zealand.

Brisbane, southern Sydney, Tasmania, Auckland, South Melbourne, Canberra and Wollongong are all candidates, while Auckland City, the reigning Oceania champions, have also expressed an interest to join the Wellington Phoenix as the second Kiwi club in Australia's flagship competition.

Auckland City chairman Ivan Vuksich told AAP the club was in the "very early days" of looking at raising the capital.

READ MORE:
* Glen Moss runs 'daddy day-care'
* US soccer sack Juergen Klinsmann
* Junior Ferns knocked out of WC

"We'd obviously like to be involved," he said.

"We've made some tentative enquiries but it's very preliminary."

Since the admission of the Western Sydney Wanderers in 2012, football dreamers have looked forward to the next entry to boost the 10-team competition.

FFA bosses have opted for consolidation over the past five years, only toying with the idea of changing the line-up at crisis moments with existing teams; most notably in October last year at Wellington's expense.

But with the Phoenix's investors backing the New Zealand side for at least another three seasons after this one, the focus now is on expansion and not replacement.

Although they have made a slow start to the 2016-17 Stirling Sports Premiership season, Auckland City FC have experienced no lack of success since they were formed in 2004.

The team have won six national league titles, eight Oceania Champions League crowns and been to seven Fifa Club World Cups, finishing third in 2014.

Given that record, it is not a surprise they are interested in the possibility of joining the A-League. Other factors are also enticing.

Crowds, broadcast audiences and playing standards are all up on the up in the competition.

A-League chief Greg O'Rourke gave a timetable for possibly two new teams in the 2018/19 competition in a statement last week.

"A framework for expansion will be completed early next year which will allow (interested consortia) to submit expressions of interest in a framework which focuses on the viability of the the proposed franchise and its ability to provide benefits to the A-League and the game," it read.

In other words, it's game on.

As it stands right now, the A-League aspirants are at varying states of preparedness.

A well-financed Tasmanian bid, which has already met with FFA, believe it just needs the tick-off from head office to start investing and hit the ground running.

National Soccer League powerhouses South Melbourne have a champion second-tier team, a boutique stadium and a burning desire to be back among the big boys.

In Queensland, former Gold Coast United coach Miron Bleiberg believes fellow NSL winners Brisbane Strikers could be a viable force in the A-League, and is working with investors to plot a pathway into the top tier.

The choices for FFA extend further afield, with Geelong presenting a regional alternative for another Victorian franchise, while second teams in Adelaide or Perth are long-shot contenders.

No bids are expected from the Gold Coast or North Queensland, two regions burned badly by the A-League's disastrous first attempt at expansion.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...s-as-FFA-consider-two-team-A-League-expansion

I like the idea but I don't think we are ready for a second NZL team just yet maybe in the next round of expansion.

Would need NZ Football, Fifa, OFC and AFC support to work. For example, it would be great if the NZ clubs could play in the FIFA World Club Cup for additional revenue and they could be truly NZ/OFC clubs.

for that to happen, NZ football would have to stop supporting their local league so much. I cant see that happening. It took a long time for them to support the Nix when they are in trouble. their interests are in their local comp rather than the A league. likewise AFC.

Would need NZ Football, Fifa, OFC and AFC support to work. For example, it would be great if the NZ clubs could play in the FIFA World Club Cup for additional revenue and they could be truly NZ/OFC clubs.

for that to happen, NZ football would have to stop supporting their local league so much. I cant see that happening. It took a long time for them to support the Nix when they are in trouble. their interests are in their local comp rather than the A league. likewise AFC.

How much interest do NZL football or NZL in general actually give their local league??

The A-League is a significant higher league in standard and attention in the region as well as being professional, I don't see how NZL football can't exploit that.

In light of that article about Auckland City I thought it was interesting to read how local media views bids in their cities. I grew up in Tassie, lived for a while in Canberra, and now live in Melbourne, so they're the areas I'm most interested in.

- The Hobart Mercury - who are particularly parochial on Tasmanian issues - have gone pretty hard in support of the bid, and in support of the "white knights" who are leading the bid. They love to whip up some parochial support, and then scream that the rest of Australia treats them badly if/when it doesn't happen. Sells papers in Tassie thought... http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/07167ebca682bfc2ffd625f66a4bbdb3 (you might need to type the title into google, The Mercury has just introduced a paywall.)

- The Canberra Times - who are usually pretty good with football coverage - have gone the complete opposite direction. They've effectively s**t on the idea, said that it isn't going to happen, and gotten quotes from Capital Football and from the leader of the previous bid to also s**t on the idea. Interesting approach - I can't tell if this is just being realistic, or whether they're doing what the Brumbies and Raiders no doubt would've loved for them to do. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...brown-denies-aleague-bid-20161118-gsslww.html

- The Age - who are probably a step behind the Herald Sun in terms of pushing this issue... but * the Herald Sun - have their football writer Lynchy giving an overview of it, and it's deliberately written so as not to give an opinion. But the way it's written and the amount of space that was given to South Melbourne to outline the positives of their bid clearly suggest that Lynchy is a fan. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...south-melbourne-a-chance-20161118-gssxnx.html

In light of that article about Auckland City I thought it was interesting to read how local media views bids in their cities. I grew up in Tassie, lived for a while in Canberra, and now live in Melbourne, so they're the areas I'm most interested in.

- The Hobart Mercury - who are particularly parochial on Tasmanian issues - have gone pretty hard in support of the bid, and in support of the "white knights" who are leading the bid. They love to whip up some parochial support, and then scream that the rest of Australia treats them badly if/when it doesn't happen. Sells papers in Tassie thought... http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/07167ebca682bfc2ffd625f66a4bbdb3 (you might need to type the title into google, The Mercury has just introduced a paywall.)

- The Canberra Times - who are usually pretty good with football coverage - have gone the complete opposite direction. They've effectively s**t on the idea, said that it isn't going to happen, and gotten quotes from Capital Football and from the leader of the previous bid to also s**t on the idea. Interesting approach - I can't tell if this is just being realistic, or whether they're doing what the Brumbies and Raiders no doubt would've loved for them to do. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...brown-denies-aleague-bid-20161118-gsslww.html

- The Age - who are probably a step behind the Herald Sun in terms of pushing this issue... but **** the Herald Sun - have their football writer Lynchy giving an overview of it, and it's deliberately written so as not to give an opinion. But the way it's written and the amount of space that was given to South Melbourne to outline the positives of their bid clearly suggest that Lynchy is a fan. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...south-melbourne-a-chance-20161118-gssxnx.html

Tasmania and south Melbourne are smashing every online poll that's been put up this week, granted if polls were deciding factors Hilary would be president, but it's a snapshot of where the real interest is.

A Tasmania franchise would be everyones 2nd favourite team, a great away trip, and for many neutrals like myself a great way to stick it up the afl for never putting a team there, it would be a ground breaking move.

South Melbourne would be equally ground breaking, my bias aside it would be the first actual club to join the league, strategically it would show the ffa in a totally different light to what we have been accustomed to since they took power from the old soccer Australia. People will actually start believing that if south can get in maybe other things like a 2nd division isn't that far fetched after all.

These would be my 11th and 12th teams and after years of nsw centric domination it would be good 1-2 punch for the southern part of the country.

Back