new tv deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a pretty good deal for the FFA.

Does anyone remember the figure of the last rights deal?

Shows just how far the game has come in a short space of time.

Lots of people say to put the highlights show on FTA but i reckon a good % of people might not buy foxtel at all if that happened. Instead i'd replay the best 'match of the week' on a monday night if any FTA station is willing to take it (apart from SBS).

As for the last TV deal that article says this one will be 2 & a 1/2 times more than last time, so 600 divided by 2.5 = 240. Even that seems a bit high i seem to remember it was more like a 100 million.

It wouldn't make me buy foxtel and if a match was replayed on FTA TV i would only be some what interested. I want at least one match a week LIVE on FTA TV and i believe it is what the A-league should be pushing for if they want to build a healthy competition (fans wise). AFL wouldn't be as big as it is today with years of FTA viewed to millions each weekend.

But who has the $$$ with the new AFL TV rights soon to come into discussion. I can see nine getting an AFL game back or 2 however don't know where it will come from. A game from 7 should go to 9 just due to poor telecast.

Back on topic would like to see any FTA TV to get a LIVE game a week. If it's not LIVE its not worth watching IMO. One does a good job with 1 LIVE game a weekend of the Bundusliga and Serie A but the time they play is very off putting. Maybe they can invest in a LIVE game a week

By the time the next deal arrives there will be 12 teams and six games.

This is what I would do:

• Friday night game live on ONE HD
  • Friday night game live on FOXTEL
  • Double header on Saturdays on FOXTEL with Matchday Saturday
  • Sunday arvo game live on ONE HD
  • Sunday arvo game live on FOXTEL

It wouldn't make me buy foxtel and if a match was replayed on FTA TV i would only be some what interested. I want at least one match a week LIVE on FTA TV and i believe it is what the A-league should be pushing for if they want to build a healthy competition (fans wise). AFL wouldn't be as big as it is today with years of FTA viewed to millions each weekend.

But who has the $$$ with the new AFL TV rights soon to come into discussion. I can see nine getting an AFL game back or 2 however don't know where it will come from. A game from 7 should go to 9 just due to poor telecast.

Back on topic would like to see any FTA TV to get a LIVE game a week. If it's not LIVE its not worth watching IMO. One does a good job with 1 LIVE game a weekend of the Bundusliga and Serie A but the time they play is very off putting. Maybe they can invest in a LIVE game a week

The reason a replay of the best game works is because it doesnt break the monopoly fox has on live games and gives a taste of the best game to those who might not otherwise watch it. Once you start putting highlight shows or live games the value of fox games drops.

The more a-league in FTA the better. FTA = exposure and its not going to get that if Fox own all the live games.

I would argue that the A-league needs to take a hit to the TV rights dollars to make sure FTA get some games.

I would argue that the A-league needs to take a hit to the TV rights dollars to make sure FTA get some games.

I too agree we need more FTA, but the above statement I disagree with. The A-League needs a big TV deal to help the clubs out. The 300m deal would give each club enough money to cover 100% of wages plus other expenses. We would not see clubs bleeding money. If we can somehow squeeze lots of cash out of FTA and Fox the A-League would prosper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can somehow squeeze lots of cash out of FTA and Fox the A-League would prosper.

Its what the AFL has done, this has helped the stuggling clubs in melbourne (10 or so clubs in the one state is huge anyway) And with Australian soccer the way it is (low numbers of fans) I don't know how the 3 clubs in NSW can survive or even QLD. I hope WA doesn't get another side we don't need one and it would destroy both clubs.

But If Foxtel can buy all but 1 game live and ONE purchase one game live, evenally FTA exposure will = $$$ in the club's gates. I feel the advertisements ONE has been getting lately, it will pay off the money it cost to buy 1 live game, each week for the season

The more a-league in FTA the better. FTA = exposure and its not going to get that if Fox own all the live games.

Even if they showed 2 games a week on FTA and the others on FOX i would be happy. Ch9 should have a look considering they have lost the footy to the worst possible channels for footy in 7 and 10 but unfortunately i can't see the A-League being brought to FTA other than One SD/HD.

The biggest issue in terms of the TV deal that the FFA will need to make will be about the Socceroos, not the A-League. It was when Australia qualified for the World Cup on FTA that the vast majority of people decided to start following the Australian team, and the World Cup being on FTA meant that it stayed in the public eye.

I think the A-League can stay on fox, but the national team needs to be on FTA, preferrably SBS because they actually care about the sports they pick up the rights too. Not just the Socceroos and football in general but also the Athletics World Championships, the Ashes, Tour de France etc...

The socceroos have already been put on the FTA list by the government so its not a decision they have to make, but unfortunately it will greatly reduce the value of the next rights.

SBS i would move completely away from, to make it the game needs to go on mainstream tv, SBS is a minority station and the only people who are going to find the game on there are people who are already interested in the game. Add to that SBS's product is well below what fox is putting out atm and they run agendas.

The socceroos have already been put on the FTA list by the government so its not a decision they have to make, but unfortunately it will greatly reduce the value of the next rights.

SBS i would move completely away from, to make it the game needs to go on mainstream tv, SBS is a minority station and the only people who are going to find the game on there are people who are already interested in the game. Add to that SBS's product is well below what fox is putting out atm and they run agendas.

SBS had viewing audiences in the 4.x millions for the match vs Uruaguay IIRC. This is somewhat more then most NRL GF's get IIRC, a few less then the AFL GF's, and up with most other TV braodcasts...

This isnt the 80's where some people didnt receive SBS in their homes. They show the matches live with comprehensive previews, reviews, next day replays etc... Compare that to the shambles that was the Channel 7 Olympic coverege this year...

Watch the 2010 covereage next year, and you will realise why the Soccerooos should be on SBS if they are on FTA...

SBS had viewing audiences in the 4.x millions for the match vs Uruaguay IIRC. This is somewhat more then most NRL GF's get IIRC, a few less then the AFL GF's, and up with most other TV braodcasts...

This isnt the 80's where some people didnt receive SBS in their homes. They show the matches live with comprehensive previews, reviews, next day replays etc... Compare that to the shambles that was the Channel 7 Olympic coverege this year...

Watch the 2010 covereage next year, and you will realise why the Soccerooos should be on SBS if they are on FTA...

Agree 100% good post :thumbsu:

I dont actually get SBS analogue or digital in my home (its semi country) but getting the reception wasn’t the point really the point, everyone gets it but no one watches it, they offer nothing to the sport in terms of boosting its profile or offering a regular mainstream audience to view the games. It is a minority station and that’s its place in the TV world, it hosts the 'Athletics World Championships, the Ashes, Tour de France etc' because no one else wanted them, if we want the game to get wider appeal it needs to go to more wide spread audience.

Using examples like the Uruaguay for big numbers isn’t a example because it was a one off game everyone knew about it, most games are not going to be like that in the future.

The quality of the product is one issue but i think that would be less of an issue now the FFA is fairly professional and can put clauses into contracts to get a clear understanding of whats wanted. Of course there will be a reduced quality of coverage compared to fox but none of the FTA stations get close to fox, not even SBS, they actually come across as fairly amateurish and extremist in their views these days.

SBS might be able to give more time with preview shows on how great Johnny warren was and commentary from craig foster about how we lack technique and the english game is rubbish but its low grade coverage and would be a step backwards in terms of mainstream appeal (ie no one watches them).

In conclusion FOX>>>>>>regular stations>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SBS.

It is a minority station and that’s its place in the TV world, it hosts the 'Athletics World Championships, the Ashes, Tour de France etc' because no one else wanted them, if we want the game to get wider appeal it needs to go to more wide spread audience.

You say this yet The Ashes got huge figures on SBS, and Le Tour always get big figures on SBS.

SBS is a safe bet because it always shows football well and the quality of the broadcast is always top notch. If people are aware of a Socceroos match they will watch it regardless of it being on SBS, Seven, Ten, or ONE (When everyone is digital).

SBS or Ten/ONE>>>>>>>>>Fox

I dont actually get SBS analogue or digital in my home (its semi country) but getting the reception wasn’t the point really the point, everyone gets it but no one watches it, they offer nothing to the sport in terms of boosting its profile or offering a regular mainstream audience to view the games.

Plenty of ads for the World Cup, and the various sports that SBS has shown in the last 6 years when I have personally watched a lot of SBS (UCL, EPL, Euro's, TDF, Ashes, as well as some doco's etc...) I think you are referencing the fact that people will watch it if it is on 7 or 9 etc... compared to SBS, which is absolutely laughable. Like people not watching the footy because its on 7 instead of 9. But they are all still watching....

It is a minority station and that’s its place in the TV world, it hosts the 'Athletics World Championships, the Ashes, Tour de France etc' because no one else wanted them, if we want the game to get wider appeal it needs to go to more wide spread audience.

Other channels have wanted these kind of sports, ONE predominately as well as some others. Not sure of their place on the Anti-Siphoning list, but Fox as well. Fox had nearly every stage, bar I think 3, of the TDF maybe 5 years ago... live.... Ashes have been covered by 7, ABC, SBS, FOX in recent tours...

Using examples like the Uruaguay for big numbers isn’t a example because it was a one off game everyone knew about it, most games are not going to be like that in the future.

The World Cup is once every 4 years, everyone knows about that. And most qualfiers will be the same afterwards. Some people might not watch say, Australia vs Kuwait on a Wednesday at 2am, but they dont watch RSA vs ENG in the tests at that time either. Bad Foxtel, bad foxtel.... lack of advertising etc..... That isnt the channels fault...

The quality of the product is one issue but i think that would be less of an issue now the FFA is fairly professional and can put clauses into contracts to get a clear understanding of whats wanted. Of course there will be a reduced quality of coverage compared to fox but none of the FTA stations get close to fox, not even SBS, they actually come across as fairly amateurish and extremist in their views these days.

Opinions of the likes of Les Murray, Craig Foster, etc... are like arseholes, everyone has one. Some people like these characters, some dont. Likewise my thoughts on Andy Harper, Simon Hill etc... at Fox. FFA adding these clauses would reduce the value of the rights IMO as few FTA would take the A-League if they have to put certain hours of coverage pre and post game. SBS coverage IMO was excellent last time around, Everygame live with serious review as well, a review show the next day, a full replay of one game each night, the half an hour light entertainment show... Excellent IMO and better then the 3 replays you would get on Fox with little in terms of panel discussions...

SBS might be able to give more time with preview shows on how great Johnny warren was and commentary from craig foster about how we lack technique and the english game is rubbish but its low grade coverage and would be a step backwards in terms of mainstream appeal (ie no one watches them).

What is low grade about it? They are opinions of people which is what I want to here, If I just wanted someone to agree with me I would just talk to myself... Everyone should be able to record a freakin match by now, 4 replays arent worth that much IMO...

In conclusion FOX>>>>>>regular stations>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SBS.

Disagree IMO... You really want Channel 9 having an hour of Eddie McGuire comparing Kaka to Chris Judd and how the FFA bid for 2018 is damaging the AFL etc... Or Bruce calling Messi "special" and how the through ball from Lampard was "clever" Ma please....

You say this yet The Ashes got huge figures on SBS, and Le Tour always get big figures on SBS.

SBS is a safe bet because it always shows football well and the quality of the broadcast is always top notch. If people are aware of a Socceroos match they will watch it regardless of it being on SBS, Seven, Ten, or ONE (When everyone is digital).

SBS or Ten/ONE>>>>>>>>>Fox

+1

If they got truely big figures they'd be on FTA, i remember the ashes even second time around when it was an even contest and there was interest they shopped the rights about but no one wanted it.

What is low grade about it?

It is low grade coverage because 100 hours on SBS is not the same as 100 hours on 9 or 7 or whatever, no one cares about SBS. The whole idea of getting a-league or socceroos on FTA is to expose more people to the game who dont know about it yet. The only people who will seek it out and find it on SBS are people who already follow the game but cant afford foxtel, which means their overall value to the rights is pretty low. The majority those types of people will seek it out in other ways like the pub, internet streams etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back