Newman dragged off air by Nine

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Newman made no such comment. He may very well be a misogynist, but he isn't trying to hide what he is or what his opinions are. And that's all they are, his opinions. The people over-reacting to them just highlight their particular insecurity with themselves.

And if there is anybody on this forum willing to debate the actual issue let them step forward, because so far the loudest and most abusive have avoided it, preferring to fan the flames of hatred with their misandrist diatribe.

Oh sorry - it's all OK because he actually said: female board members in football served "very little purpose". He asked questions about what do they do. And just because he isn't hiding what he is doesn't make it OK - the evidence is in the falling audience and the advertising/sponsor responses - is it not?

Also, when reading this thread (most of it) all I saw was arguments about Caro needing to take it on the chin like all the other jokes, and debates about 'I'm right' and 'you're wrong'. Just what do you see the issue as being exactly?

Are you calling me a misandrist?

Here's a radical suggestion for Nine, who not have a footy show about, og I don't know, the footy?

Rather than it being 45 minutes of jokes about Gary's body hair, a bit of random abuse of people on the street and re-running some internet clips that have been circulating on YouTube since 2002, before we get to the teams for the first match?

You never know, it might actually rate.

Because if they did that the show would last 5 minutes.

Oh sorry - it's all OK because he actually said: female board members in football served "very little purpose". He asked questions about what do they do. And just because he isn't hiding what he is doesn't make it OK - the evidence is in the falling audience and the advertising/sponsor responses - is it not?

Also, when reading this thread (most of it) all I saw was arguments about Caro needing to take it on the chin like all the other jokes, and debates about 'I'm right' and 'you're wrong'. Just what do you see the issue as being exactly?

Don't bother asking. They believe there was nothing wrong with the stunt and that's fine. That's their opinion. They simply believe because caro sometimes gets her football-related opinions wrong she deserves to be humiliated the way she was. It's the "female journo syndrome" thing. That's pretty much it.

Wrong again. Yes he did. Have another listen and this time take off the ear muffs.

The people who are looking to make a bigger issue out of this like to use the quote "women in football serve no purpose", Sam Newman actually said that women at board level served no purpose. His opinion, and I'm pretty sure in this country you are still allowed to have one.

Don't bother asking. They believe there was nothing wrong with the stunt and that's fine. That's their opinion. They simply believe because caro sometimes gets her football-related opinions wrong she deserves to be humiliated the way she was. It's the "female journo syndrome" thing. That's pretty much it.

No I think it's more to do with it being aimed at Caro and only Caro. It has nothing to do with ALL women. It was never a dig at women it was a dig at Caro. Similar to Sam having a dig at anybody else. This was no different.

Yet it's why we come first to BigFooty rather than the traditional media and it's exacttly why the traditional media can't buy a clue about sports coverage.

How about co-opting some of the internet approach, like the ABC has done with the Q&A program for politics? How about a segment of the show where a coach or player or journo or AFL honcho is in the chair and the audience gets to fire questions at them live.

Yet it's why we come first to BigFooty rather than the traditional media and it's exacttly why the traditional media can't buy a clue about sports coverage.

How about co-opting some of the internet approach, like the ABC has done with the Q&A program for politics? How about a segment of the show where a coach or player or journo or AFL honcho is in the chair and the audience gets to fire questions at them live.

Because it isn't, never was or never will be a serious hard hitting show about football. Same reason that Before the Game doesnt talk a whole lot about football. It's using football as a theme (As football is popular) and making an entertainment show around that theme in an attempt to gain popularity, ratings and ofcourse the sponsorship dollar.

Here come the adelaide supporters. Half an hour behind as usual.

Just because your team is struggling and you single-handedly boned the heart of TFS doesn't mean you need to get stressed out Caro.:eek:

Half an hour, is that the amount of time it takes you to write such s**t articles and make up crap stories on Footy Classified?

I get that - the reason Before the Game still has life in its legs and the Footy Show doesn't is the same reason Channel Nine has performed poorly for the past few years.

As entertainment, it's dated, dull and predictable - it's the sort of conversation you can hear amongst blokes down a pub anytime, not particularly clever.

So, either they overhaul it and get some people in who actually know what it means to be entertaining, or dump it and replace it with a show about footy.

The Footy Show's problem is that it isn't good at entertainment and doesn't have enough about its subject. Choose.

No, I was not calling you a misandrist, that was aimed at others and even though they seem a bit slow on the uptake I'm sure they know who they are.

Nobody is saying that what Sam said was OK, but what is everybody afraid of? Do they really believe that he has an influence over what others think? People give their opinions every day and most of it is resigned to the mental bin. Why suddenly get uptight about this particular piece?

I can't really comment on the advertising aspect without further information, but so far I haven't seen anything that shows that contracts have actually been stopped. We have been given figures on the ratings that show a drop recently, but that could be attributed to anything. The ratings over the last few weeks are still higher than last year's average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that - the reason Before the Game still has life in its legs and the Footy Show doesn't is the same reason Channel Nine has performed poorly for the past few years.

As entertainment, it's dated, dull and predictable - it's the sort of conversation you can hear amongst blokes down a pub anytime, not particularly clever.

So, either they overhaul it and get some people in who actually know what it means to be entertaining, or dump it and replace it with a show about footy.

The Footy Show's problem is that it isn't good at entertainment and doesn't have enough about its subject. Choose.

Some good points. I think that when Sam returns from his "break" he would want to return to how he used to be. Not all about him. They need Eddie back. Brayshaw is as entertaining as Scrabble and while Gary is a good host, he doesn't hold it together like Eddie did.

Here's a radical suggestion for Nine, who not have a footy show about, oh I don't know, the footy?

Rather than it being 45 minutes of jokes about Gary's body hair, a bit of random abuse of people on the street and re-running some internet clips that have been circulating on YouTube since 2002, before we get to the teams for the first match?

You never know, it might actually rate.

It rates now, and you obviously watch it, so what's your problem?

I thought Sam was trying to improve Caro's dress sense on the Footy Classified show, hence why he brought out a mannequin to represent Caro, dressing up the mannequin with clothing that may have added more spice to Caro and for a laugh, he thought he staple on a picture of Caro...

Whats wrong with that??

I think football audience of today has changed where its getting out of hand.

Talking it over with my wife, we both seem to agree that Sam Newman is the footy show and that he adds an element of un-expectancy to the show that no one can replace.

Now that companies are pulling out of that time slot to advertise the executives of Nine ask Sam to take a holiday to cool off to protect there sponsors is some what stupid, because at the end of the day, if you don't have TV ratings you wont get sponsors.

I am not going to watch the footy because Sam has be taken off, it just wont be the same with out him.

I haven't actually watched it for ages, but was my guess about the average week's content still correct?

That's funny because you and many other people say the exact same thing. They know every little detail of what happened on TFS and post on here saying how crap, racist, feminist, etc. the footy show is or how bad it has turned, jeez how crap is TFS, etc. but deny watching it.:rolleyes:

Good try but why do you deny watching it? Are you above this type of light-hearted entertainment?

"All women are liars and hypocrites and have no place in football". Hello again, if it wasn't for a woman giving birth to him he wouldn't even exist to have a role in football. In other words, as long as women stick to handing out oranges at half time and apply bandaids on scratches we're ok with them hey?

My god there are some seriously ill people out there.

yeh you. You are pathetic. You sound so pussy whipped it makes me ill. In fact, are you a chick? You certainly sound like one.

The people who are looking to make a bigger issue out of this like to use the quote "women in football serve no purpose", Sam Newman actually said that women at board level served no purpose. His opinion, and I'm pretty sure in this country you are still allowed to have one.

What's the difference? Why is sam an expert all of a sudden about women at board level? Has he ever served on a board? I don't think so. What makes him an expert all of a sudden to say what he said? You're comfortable with that too?

yeh you. You are pathetic. You sound so pussy whipped it makes me ill. In fact, are you a chick? You certainly sound like one.

Im pathetic? Really? Are you going to contribute to this discussion or are you just going to be an idiot? I'm pussy whipped am I? No Im not female. I have a wife and kids FWIW. Why does it matter? You sound like you beat yours up.

No, I was not calling you a misandrist, that was aimed at others and even though they seem a bit slow on the uptake I'm sure they know who they are.

Great - because it sure looked that way

Nobody is saying that what Sam said was OK, but what is everybody afraid of? Do they really believe that he has an influence over what others think? People give their opinions every day and most of it is resigned to the mental bin. Why suddenly get uptight about this particular piece?

The issue relates to sexism being unacceptable. Same as racism. If you personally find it acceptable, that's great - good luck to you and the women in your life. If people can't discern the difference between Sam's jokes about Dunstall, or about Lyon cyring or being hairy and deliberately denegrating people on the basis of gender then they need to move out of the dark ages.

Regardless of all that Sam has done over the years he crossed the line with his comments about 'women in football'. The rest of it would have been tolerable, as with many of his 'borderline acceptable' comments. Unfortuntely it took nine a number of weeks, falling ratings, the ANZ moving their advertising away from the timeslot and expressions of concern from Crazy Johns for anything to happen.

I can't really comment on the advertising aspect without further information, but so far I haven't seen anything that shows that contracts have actually been stopped. We have been given figures on the ratings that show a drop recently, but that could be attributed to anything. The ratings over the last few weeks are still higher than last year's average.

As above - ANZ and Crazy Johns. I don't have links - don't have time to find them now, but I can assure you these 2 companies have acted as stated.

I thought Sam was trying to improve Caro's dress sense on the Footy Classified show, hence why he brought out a mannequin to represent Caro, dressing up the mannequin with clothing that may have added more spice to Caro and for a laugh, he thought he staple on a picture of Caro...

Whats wrong with that??

I think football audience of today has changed where its getting out of hand.

Talking it over with my wife, we both seem to agree that Sam Newman is the footy show and that he adds an element of un-expectancy to the show that no one can replace.

Now that companies are pulling out of that time slot to advertise the executives of Nine ask Sam to take a holiday to cool off to protect there sponsors is some what stupid, because at the end of the day, if you don't have TV ratings you wont get sponsors.

I am not going to watch the footy because Sam has be taken off, it just wont be the same with out him.

What is wrong with it, apparently, was that when he grasped the inanimate object (a mannequin) his hand touched the area that had it actually been alive would be referred to as its groin. This clearly was an affront to all women.

The fact that male mannequins are only ever fitted with an obscure bump in this area is the real tragedy. I suggest picket lines at menswear stores nationwide.

What's the difference? Why is sam an expert all of a sudden about women at board level? Has he ever served on a board? I don't think so. What makes him an expert all of a sudden to say what he said? You're comfortable with that too?

And why are you on your high horse about it? I'm pretty sure he is the only person who was brave enough to say what many were already thinking. Football is a men's game. Men play it, Men coach it. Female board members do not have an understanding of football. They may be good on the business side of things, but when decisions are made they need to be made with the considerations of football, not business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back