news Umpire McLaren set to hang up his whistle

Remove this Banner Ad

The people who know a thing or two about umpiring (advisors, coaches, bosses) have kept McLaren in the AFL because they obviously think he deserves his spot and that he is a good umpire. He may have "cheated" every supporter who ever supported football ever, but he kept his place because the people who know the rules, make the rules, and implement the rules know that he can umpire.

Contrary to popular belief, not just anyone can umpire. And for the people who use the excuse "yeah, but it's their job, they should do it well", go umpire junoir football for a season and then decide whether or not the job of umpiring is easy to do well.

The fact is no one will ever be happy with umpiring. And there will be people like Grant Thomas who will continue to talk down to umpires (recently said on Footy Classified that it won't be until a team loses the Grand Final because of umpires that something will be done about them) and there will always be people like that. A little appreciation for a man who umpired five Grand Finals might be nice though.

A glorious day for footy fans everywhere. The only bloke that managed to make the fans of 16 clubs think he had it in for their club.

Ever sinse Hirds comments.. hes dead set F**king hated us. Its so damn noticeable aswell (not your average run of the mill "the umpire is giving us the short end" routine). Some decisions he regularly makes against us are baffling.

The people who know a thing or two about umpiring (advisors, coaches, bosses) have kept McLaren in the AFL because they obviously think he deserves his spot and that he is a good umpire. He may have "cheated" every supporter who ever supported football ever, but he kept his place because the people who know the rules, make the rules, and implement the rules know that he can umpire.

Contrary to popular belief, not just anyone can umpire. And for the people who use the excuse "yeah, but it's their job, they should do it well", go umpire junoir football for a season and then decide whether or not the job of umpiring is easy to do well.

The fact is no one will ever be happy with umpiring. And there will be people like Grant Thomas who will continue to talk down to umpires (recently said on Footy Classified that it won't be until a team loses the Grand Final because of umpires that something will be done about them) and there will always be people like that. A little appreciation for a man who umpired five Grand Finals might be nice though.
or maybe, just maybe, the standard of umpiring at the highest level is not sufficient for a professional sport.

No offense, but blah blah blah. I have no problem with most the AFL umpires. Most do a great job under very difficult circumstances.

McLaren was an attention seeking tool of the highest order and no only will he not be missed, but I'm thoroughly happy to see the back of him.

Vadz, while people continue this line of argument, respect for umpires will reach an even lower point. The idea that players, coaches, commentators and the public at large have no idea and the umpiring department is infallible is arrogance at its worst.

I don't think anyone would know everything about umpiring until they actually umpire themselves. It's like commentators who never played AFL. There's always that sense amongst audiences that they shouldn't really provide any special comments regarding to footballers.

Abuse comes with the job of umpring. Not saying that should change, because that would take away much of the emotion that goes into supporting football.

I don't agree that the standards of AFL umpriing needs to be improved, though I will admit that with the game changing as quickly as it is, the umpiring department seems to be struggling to keep up.

And just once again, five grand finals. He must've done something right.

link

"Being able to say I paid the Leo Barry mark, I'll certainly use that at a few sportsmen's nights," he said.

link

What a wank. Barry didn't need McLaren's help to call it a mark. Barry's vice like grip meant everyone knew it was a mark as the ball never left his hands. And who is going to pay to listen to him talk - unless he admits he was incompetent cheat. That might draw a crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that press conference footage with gieschen and mclaren that the footy show played last night had to have been some of the most cringeworthy footage i have ever seen.

yes, even worse than danny frawley turning on the water works at the saints function.

link

"Being able to say I paid the Leo Barry mark, I'll certainly use that at a few sportsmen's nights," he said.

link

What a wank. Barry didn't need McLaren's help to call it a mark. Barry's vice like grip meant everyone knew it was a mark as the ball never left his hands. And who is going to pay to listen to him talk - unless he admits he was incompetent cheat. That might draw a crowd.

I think it's a problem where he didn't do his job and pay Sampi the free kick!

Easiest job in footy = potting umpires.

Hardest job in footy = umpiring.

We don't accept mediocrity. Umpires will continue to get blasted while they continue to be inconsistent. They aren't being helped by the AFL and the constant changes to the rules and interpretations though.

We don't accept mediocrity. Umpires will continue to get blasted while they continue to be inconsistent. They aren't being helped by the AFL and the constant changes to the rules and interpretations though.

It doesn't really matter what you "accept", does it?

It doesn't change the fact the nameless, faceless people potting umpires is about as pissweak as it gets.

I haven't noticed a single poster on this website EVER say "Wait, I know. I'll become an umpire. I could do a better job."

Constantly bagging them isn't getting us anywhere, and it's been going on forever. Suggestions of inconsistency and mediocrity are hardly recent innovations to the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back