Putting the Whistle Away

Remove this Banner Ad

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas
Much of GWS-Collingwood Preliminary Final, especially the final quarter, was played as if there weren't umpires there.
Things were clearly not being called even to the point that when the ball was clearly over the line, it was play on.
Hardly anything was holding the ball and as for throws, forget about it.
I understand and appreciate them not wanting to influence the game by making a wrong decision but this is exactly what they're doing by not blowing the whistle when they clearly should.

In cricket, the rules are the rules, whether the first ball or the last.
Same in tennis.
I'm guessing in rugby, soccer, NFL, basketball, there is sort of this grey area which grows at the end of the match where it's clear that this individual decision could have a tangible impact on the outcome of the match.

Not sure if anyone else commented on this, but when Toby Greene had that last shot for goal and Sidebottom marked it on the line, it was during this anything goes phase. I wouldn't be suprised if it should have been a point.

Has anybody not noticed yet that the best and most thrilling finals games are always when the umpires stay out of it and put the whistle away.

I understand it doesn't help with the supporters from the two Adelaide teams because it facilitates their narrative and continual crying about cheating and being robbed.

It annoys me that umpires allow a team to slow down play by not trying to get the ball out. Every team does it but some teams are more proficient at this part of the game. My issue is that the team locking in the ball need to be pinged for HTB but umpires are being conned and they keep falling for the con.

The game is AFL. It is supposed to be fast and free flowing not a series of rolling mauls and ball-ups. The last few minutes of the PF were boring and not great footy.

Five blatant frees were missed to GWS in the last quarter. Was the whistle put away or did the umpires have an agenda.
You have a severe case of Colliphobia. The umps also missed really obvious high contact frees to Moore, Mitchell and Nick Daicos deep in the last quarter. Somehow, you only saw the ones GWS missed out on.

You have a severe case of Colliphobia. The umps also missed really obvious high contact frees to Moore, Mitchell and Nick Daicos deep in the last quarter. Somehow, you only saw the ones GWS missed out on.

No I saw the 5 highlighted on The Footy Show also the 5 SEN went with this morning and Buckley quoted that Collingwood got the rub of the green.

It annoys me that umpires allow a team to slow down play by not trying to get the ball out. Every team does it but some teams are more proficient at this part of the game. My issue is that the team locking in the ball need to be pinged for HTB but umpires are being conned and they keep falling for the con.

The game is AFL. It is supposed to be fast and free flowing not a series of rolling mauls and ball-ups. The last few minutes of the PF were boring and not great footy.

Right through all matches blokes regularly choose to take a tackle where they haven't had prior in order to lock the ball in for a stoppage as they think it's the best option in their situation. It's funny, the thread starts with someone not wanting the umpires to alter interpretations and let it go in a close finish. Now we've moved to someone wanting them to change interpretations in the end of a close game. Just seems to me that those unhappy with a result of a particular game want change.

Right through all matches blokes regularly choose to take a tackle where they haven't had prior in order to lock the ball in for a stoppage as they think it's the best option in their situation. It's funny, the thread starts with someone not wanting the umpires to alter interpretations and let it go in a close finish. Now we've moved to someone wanting them to change interpretations in the end of a close game. Just seems to me that those unhappy with a result of a particular game want change.
No my issue is that the interpretation is wrong.

No my issue is that the interpretation is wrong.
How would you do it? Would you get rid of the no prior rule? Would you go back to the era of players squirming around like electrocuted fish pretending that they were trying to get it out?

The other issue with the current rule is that there's a really big advantage in that you can just choose to hold it in and wait until there's an option to release. Cats are pretty good at that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would you do it? Would you get rid of the no prior rule? Would you go back to the era of players squirming around like electrocuted fish pretending that they were trying to get it out?

The other issue with the current rule is that there's a really big advantage in that you can just choose to hold it in and wait until there's an option to release. Cats are pretty good at that one
Choosing to hold the ball in is a problem especially when players from the same team are doing this. When this happens pay HTB if an opponent has tackled the opposition player.

You see HTB when a player dives on the ball and the opponent keeps the ball locked in despite efforts from the tackled player to get the ball out.

I like the prior opportunity rule but I also like when you have been tackled with no prior that you try to dispose of the ball. If players hold the ball in waiting for the whistle and a ball-up then HTB should be the result not a ball-up.

It seems clear that you like this part of the game but I don't like it.

Choosing to hold the ball in is a problem especially when players from the same team are doing this. When this happens pay HTB if an opponent has tackled the opposition player.

You see HTB when a player dives on the ball and the opponent keeps the ball locked in despite efforts from the tackled player to get the ball out.

I like the prior opportunity rule but I also like when you have been tackled with no prior that you try to dispose of the ball. If players hold the ball in waiting for the whistle and a ball-up then HTB should be the result not a ball-up.

It seems clear that you like this part of the game but I don't like it.
No it's that I like the no prior rule, and don't see how you can pay these ones as frees with any consistency as blokes holding the ball in really does happen all game. I think what you're proposing is unumpirable without simply getting rid of the no prior rule and giving a free every time a bloke gets tackled and it doesn't come out

Some interesting comments here. Thanks to all who shared!
The ironic thing is that I think everyone agrees that less is more when it comes to umpiring and the players sort it out for themselves.
So why can't we have this all the time? When we're conditioned to the soft silly free kicks during the season, umpiring with the whistle away seems even more foreign.

No it's that I like the no prior rule, and don't see how you can pay these ones as frees with any consistency as blokes holding the ball in really does happen all game. I think what you're proposing is unumpirable without simply getting rid of the no prior rule and giving a free every time a bloke gets tackled and it doesn't come out

Malcom Blight another nobody of the game scathing attack on the umpires from Friday night. Four frees all went Collingwoods way of course.

Some interesting comments here. Thanks to all who shared!
The ironic thing is that I think everyone agrees that less is more when it comes to umpiring and the players sort it out for themselves.
So why can't we have this all the time? When we're conditioned to the soft silly free kicks during the season, umpiring with the whistle away seems even more foreign.
I’ll out myself as a community umpire - and I’ve done enough games / grand finals (including one last Saturday) to think I have a reasonable understanding of the game.

I would encourage all of you to have a read of the laws of the game and draw your attention to the spirit of the laws which in a nutshell says “the player playing the ball must be given an opportunity to correctly dispose of it”

My intention every week is to have as little involvement as possible. What does that mean in practice?

Protect the head
Demand that the players listen to me/us
Set a Standard and Be consistent
Don’t pay any s**t frees or 50’s
Ensure the player with the ball has had an opportunity to dispose of it
Don’t pay any s**t frees or 50’s

If I get off and no one has noticed me, I’ve had a great day.

Friday Night was poor - it failed to follow the standards above - the umpiring was inconsistent - players should be able to work out after 5 minutes how you’re going to roll - if they can’t…chaos

The old “putting the whistle away” is bullshit - you are there to do a job.

I like the concept of “let them play” which means pay the frees that are there but steer clear of the s**t tiggy touchwood frees and s**t 50’s.

I would love to get my hands on the AFL umpiring department - simple is better and four isn’t the answer

If there is a difference between the H&A rounds and finals something has gone catastrophically wrong.

Either the umpires have set new standards themselves which is rogue.

Or AFL House have in which case there is compromised integrity in the game.

Or the rules in H&A are not fit for purpose.

You simply cannot change things just because it's a final.

Much of GWS-Collingwood Preliminary Final, especially the final quarter, was played as if there weren't umpires there.
Things were clearly not being called even to the point that when the ball was clearly over the line, it was play on.
Hardly anything was holding the ball and as for throws, forget about it.
I understand and appreciate them not wanting to influence the game by making a wrong decision but this is exactly what they're doing by not blowing the whistle when they clearly should.

In cricket, the rules are the rules, whether the first ball or the last.
Same in tennis.
I'm guessing in rugby, soccer, NFL, basketball, there is sort of this grey area which grows at the end of the match where it's clear that this individual decision could have a tangible impact on the outcome of the match.

Not sure if anyone else commented on this, but when Toby Greene had that last shot for goal and Sidebottom marked it on the line, it was during this anything goes phase. I wouldn't be suprised if it should have been a point.

I rewatched the last 6 minutes of the final quarter and the only 50/50 free not paid was Moore's which wasn't paid.

There were literally no free kicks not paid or missed in the last 6 monites.

I rewatched the last 6 minutes of the final quarter and the only 50/50 free not paid was Moore's which wasn't paid.

There were literally no free kicks not paid or missed in the last 6 monites.

DeGoey caught holding the ball.
Toby Green take high
Idon taken high
Tom Green legged
Brett Daniel driven head first into the ground then Daicos landed on his back.

All 5 were highlighted and discussed on numerous Footbal programs and Radio stations. Legends Mathews Buckley Blight Hodge amongst many who could not believe none were awarded as frees in the last quarter.

If there is a difference between the H&A rounds and finals something has gone catastrophically wrong.

Either the umpires have set new standards themselves which is rogue.

Or AFL House have in which case there is compromised integrity in the game.

Or the rules in H&A are not fit for purpose.

You simply cannot change things just because it's a final.

Yet Razor mentioned on SEN it was only 1 or 2 less free kicks than the season average, so they didn’t put the whistle away at all.

Meanwhile, the Grand Final they definitely didn’t put it away, paid more free kicks than the season average and found plenty of soft ones for the Lions.

It seems the bleating about the prelim made them reward the Lions ducking.

The GWS V Collingwood Prelim received more negative publicity about the umpiring than any game I can remember. Buckley even commented that Collingwood got the rub of the green. This sort of comment is unheard of in media circles.

Yet Razor mentioned on SEN it was only 1 or 2 less free kicks than the season average, so they didn’t put the whistle away at all.

Meanwhile, the Grand Final they definitely didn’t put it away, paid more free kicks than the season average and found plenty of soft ones for the Lions.

It seems the bleating about the prelim made them reward the Lions ducking.
Go away troll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back