Hangers on the goal line

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
Curious as to how far a player can take things to spoil a potential shot on goal. I saw a Fitzroy player do it to try stopping a goal on the line in 1991.

With the Houston goal, could a Bombers player have stood firm and allowed another team mate to have taken a hanger to prevent the goal.

How do the rules address such a situation.

Curious as to how far a player can take things to spoil a potential shot on goal. I saw a Fitzroy player do it to try stopping a goal on the line in 1991.

With the Houston goal, could a Bombers player have stood firm and allowed another team mate to have taken a hanger to prevent the goal.

How do the rules address such a situation.
I thought the exact same thing, surely an attempt at a mark by jumping on the back of a teammate is a legitimate act?

Jay Schulz to mark the ball and prevent it being touched on the goal line.

Matthew Lappin to mark the ball and prevent it being rushed through for a behind or out of bounds.

Jay Schulz to mark the ball and prevent it being touched on the goal line.

Matthew Lappin to mark the ball and prevent it being rushed through for a behind or out of bounds.

In both of those cases players come in from in field. What about when a player comes in from behind and their team mate allows them to get the hanger?

In both of those cases players come in from in field. What about when a player comes in from behind and their team mate allows them to get the hanger?
As long as that team mate is also legitimately contesting the ball. They can't, for example, be facing the goals and deliberately boost their team mate.

I also suspect that if there was no attacking player also competing then officials may not allow it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back