Umpiring The Purpose Of Boundary Lines - Pies v Cats Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Given it was a handball it probably cant be called out on the full, but by passing the ball to Cameron who was clearly out of bounds their was insufficient attempt to keep the ball in. Therefore should have been a free kick to Collingwood.
Haha.

If Geelong scrapes into fines on percentage because of the 2 goals there should be hell to pay. Luckily Jeremy Cameron is far enough back in the Coleman that the 2 goals shouldn't matter.
Oh geez if it so happens cats finish 8th and blues 9th and the % difference is 0.1%, this is going to resurface big time. We don’t know yet what the impact of the worst non call possibly in the history of the game. The first one is a bad error, it happens sometimes in games but the second one…Wow.

The more I look at it, the more I can see that the mark was on the line, and its a depth perception issue why it looks out.
I’d love to see a reverse angle because a few say he didn’t pluck it at first grab and took control after he landed, which was close to the fence.

The McCreery one? Old mate below thinks it's okay but IDK. Your point stands either way that there will always be errors both ways in every game... but Jezza receiving a handball from miles OOB with 4 umpires watching is particularly gobsmacking. And the commentary team missing it too.

Handpass IMO.

Remember one day Enright got done because he was trying to make a long handpass (under no pressure) and flat batted it with his palm.
He'd done it dozens of times over the years but was pulled up that time as there was no clenched fist.

Field Umpires don’t call out of bounds.
I don't know whether they do or not, but in this case I would guess the boundary umpire might have confused about who's free it was and the field umpires were more concerned about the Collingwood players encroaching into the "protected area".

]

This is genuinely hilarious by the league. “Here’s the proof it was in play”…proceed to show footage of Cameron in slow motion with his feet on the line with outstretched arms catching it.
Not only that. They deem showing a worse angle as "evidence" it was in play.

Also they admit that the umps fcuked up the handball OOB decicision, however are backing the same set of dipsh!ts with the OOB mark.

However unsurprising and to be expected from one of the most corrupt sports organisations in the world that even gives FIFA a run for its money.

Can we all agree if adjudicated correctly it should have been called insufficient intent or straight up Out on the Full and a free kick awarded to Collingwood?
Well that is actually a fantastic point. If you mark the ball on the boundary 40m out, 1 min to play and up by say 3 points, what is the best thing to do?

You can utilise the full 30 seconds before taking your run up, take another 7 secs running in and walk in too close to the man on the mark and then to start running round him while out of play. It’s called out of play.

Now there are 20 secs on the clock, and almost impossible for the other team to win. Should be penalised for insufficient intent but it will never happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When a player kicks the ball in from out on the full, is he allowed to kick it from outside the boundary line?

This routinely happens because the defender on the mark has one foot on the boundary line.

But you must go from outside the line to inside the line.

Outside the line to outside the line is OOB.

Not only that. They deem showing a worse angle as "evidence" it was in play.

Also they admit that the umps fcuked up the handball OOB decicision, however are backing the same set of dipsh!ts with the OOB mark.

However unsurprising and to be expected from one of the most corrupt sports organisations in the world that even gives FIFA a run for its money.
Nah, sorry, yes corrupt, but I agree with the AFL on the mark.

The boundary line that you’re referencing is not level with Cameron but further away from the camera with the curve.
I reckon the gets to that ball almost directly on the line.

The handball one however, just atrocious.

That OOB handball was a howler but it's squarely on the boundary umpire, not the field umpires. Judging whether the ball is in the field of play or not is the responsibility of the boundary and/or goal umpires. If the field umpires start encroaching on the responsibilities of other umps I think it's asking for trouble. It wouldn't be long before some whistle-happy grandstander decides to call "deliberate" or "insufficient intent" when the ball's still in the field of play.

As for the marks, I think the umps were rubbish about paying them all night. Earlier in the night, I think it was de Goey got paid one that 100% hit the ground. Later Cameron didn't get paid a juggled mark that was plainly a mark. If the one on the boundary line was out, and I'm not convinced it was, that would be a fair evener upperer. Then there was a two-grab mark taken by Brad Close on the wing where the ump paid a free kick for interference instead; later Cameron got one that was exactly the same. You look at the free kick stats and it's 17-9 our way, but when the numbers are padded with ineffectual crap like that it doesn't mean a lot. But you just know someone will sqwawk to the AFL about it, next Saturday will be 30-15 St Kilda's way, and those decisions will be meaningful.

ITs like that 'handball' Taylor Adams did with the back of his fist between his legs.

nothing is perfect and micro analysis in todays game will produce hundreds of missed calls but that is the wonderfully beautiful part about sport. The inconsistencies that allow you to get the win
Nothing illegal in that disposal.

This routinely happens because the defender on the mark has one foot on the boundary line.

But you must go from outside the line to inside the line.

Outside the line to outside the line is OOB.
I thought so. So the man on the mark should be 5 meters from the boundary then.

I never known a sport with so many grey zones with it’s rules.

2 goals to Cameron from blatant boundary line errors. One with the dopey boundary ump not more than 3 meters from the contest, right on the line. Those 2 goals could have an effect right at the end of the season with percentage as well in a season as tight as this. Just not good enough, you’d hope the boundary ump in front of the marking contest is banished for a weeks for intensive eye tests. One job and he can’t do it.
It looks like Cameron probably marked it in the play. Look where the boundary line is in the pic. Its not conclusive. But calling it obviously out is ridiculous. Commentators were just being biased to appease pies supporters. And like usual, most neutrals fall for what the commentators and crowd think is gospel.

the hand ball should of been out of bounds. But they have been allowing players to start playing on over the boundary line for a while now. I dont know why they are doing this. if close was forced to handball it to cameron in play them cameron most likely still kicks the goal. Doesnt really change the outcome.

Geelong get looked after like no other club. It’s a joke.
Looks at net free kick ladder over the past 15 years. collingwood near the top. Cats near the bottom.

Looks at where geelong has played all its home games against collingwood the past 15 years. Every single game at collingwoods home ground and city.

can i have some of what you are taking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back