Umpiring The Purpose Of Boundary Lines - Pies v Cats Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily the worst decision I can ever recall seeing. They are lucky the Pies won but its time the umpires were held to account like the good old days when they were sent bush. And its time the media stopped covering for them.

IMG-8263.jpg

We have video review for sometimes silly reviews

Wouldn’t a simple, common sense “hey ump” review have sorted this out?

Imagine if a flag was decided by this?

I thought they reviewed every goal. It was out of bounds so no goal?
Had Quaynor got a blurry fingernail on it they would have reviewed.

Only justification could be it was so weird, there was a brain delay by the umpires out of shock.
This was a bad call on a disposal before the goal was kicked though, so not reviewed.

This is one of the more blatant bad calls in modern times. Probably the worst this year. It's not an obscure rule, it's a well known rule.

Jeremy Cameron great game though either way.

Mate I'm gonna absolutely howl with laughter if the AFL somehow tries to spin/justify that non call handball OUTSIDE THE FIELD OF PLAY
They can't, they'll admit the wrong call was made, they have to. But it's not a final, Collingwood still won, and the crowd got to see a very nice goal. It really was a good call in the end.

If Geelong scrapes into fines on percentage because of the 2 goals there should be hell to pay. Luckily Jeremy Cameron is far enough back in the Coleman that the 2 goals shouldn't matter.

I reckon the umpires are busy thinking about doing so many different things these days (setting the mark, telling blokes to stand, setting people 10m back from the play, looking for gut punches etc) that they forgot to call the most blatant breach of the laws. Weve seen players get pinged for playing on out of bounds in the last two weeks so its not like they dont know the rules (Aliir and a Noth player last week) but neither of those were around set shots. As for the boundary umpire, well he already had a mare. Anyway, looking forward to hearing Razor explain it to Gerard on SEN next week.

We have all seen a front of fist "handball" be called 'incorrect disposal' so that is inaccurate
We've all seen a player handball the ball to a team mate 2m outside the boundary and it wasn't called out of bounds. Doesn't mean the decision was correct.

Geelong get looked after like no other club. It’s a joke.
If only we got 16 home games a year and plated the same team twice on their home deck.

If Geelong scrapes into fines on percentage because of the 2 goals there should be hell to pay. Luckily Jeremy Cameron is far enough back in the Coleman that the 2 goals shouldn't matter.
The 3 goals (2 Cameron ones and Henry one after the siren) taken off them brings them down 1%. The AFL would want to hope that it doesn't come down to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 3 goals (2 Cameron ones and Henry one after the siren) taken off them brings them down 1%. The AFL would want to hope that it doesn't come down to that.
Could effect draft position as well. Other clubs will be rightfully pissed.

These aren't interpretational or Umpire on the wrong side of play these are in clear view in front of the umpires. Hell the handball and kick over the line is just a blatant attempt to cheat by Cameron in front of 4 umpires and they let him get away with it.

If we are going to ignore players deliberately throwing the ball instead of handpassing, the AFL may as well ignore boundary lines and allow players to take set shots or shots on the run from any and all angles. This includes being smart arses and taking shots at goal from the spectators seats!!

Can excuse the mark, was line ball on initial contact and boundary ump was blindsided when it got juggled
The handball though is a joke. Not one umpire called play on, so boundary ump couldn't call out of bounds

These boundary line decisions should concern every football fan, coach and player. Including anyone associated with Geelong. It is deeply concerning what happened here especially so close to finals. This isn't just a missed high tackle or something it's much more fundamental than that. We risk losing fans because they can't take the game seriously.

The umpiring is at the worst standard that I ever remember it. Issues in the past were always related to over umpiring now it's bad because they fail to pay clear infringements.

Chris Scott was pretty poor in the press conference having a crack at the journo questioning the call

Basically said he hadn’t seen it but he’d heard from people who know the rules that it wasn't out of bounds, but sarcastically said to the journo “but you seem pretty confident that you know more than them”
"Yep. Apparently I also know more than you."

He was also asking back to journo questions “what did you think?”
"I think it was out of bounds."

Last edited:
Utterly bewildering non-decision (the Close to Cameron handball), and yeah, seriously appalling that it wasn't picked up by any of the watching officials.

But I can't help but think umpires missing these obvious ones is unsurprising when rule changes in the last decade or so have carved out various exceptions to basic boundary-line principles. You no longer need to kick it to yourself to play on from the goal square - it's not called out of bounds if you run off your line from over the line after a mark/free kick, so long as you don't change direction again whilst still over the line - the mark in the backline is now "back to the nine", so the player with the ball often enters the field of play (sometimes only on the line, other times more overtly) but isn't called to play on straight away... you can agree or disagree with each of the rule tweaks, but the upshot of them all is that umpires will no longer have as clear an instinct about what's wrong or right when dealing with boundary lines - and successful officiating in the moment relies on well-honed instincts, not fine legal interpretation.

Doesn't excuse this shocker of a non-call - but maybe explains how we ended up here.
Also why I think the commentary team didn't know what to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back