Umpiring The Purpose Of Boundary Lines - Pies v Cats Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

ITs like that 'handball' Taylor Adams did with the back of his fist between his legs.

nothing is perfect and micro analysis in todays game will produce hundreds of missed calls but that is the wonderfully beautiful part about sport. The inconsistencies that allow you to get the win
The McCreery one? Old mate below thinks it's okay but IDK. Your point stands either way that there will always be errors both ways in every game... but Jezza receiving a handball from miles OOB with 4 umpires watching is particularly gobsmacking. And the commentary team missing it too.

The McCreery one? Old mate below thinks it's okay but IDK. Your point stands either way that there will always be errors both ways in every game... but Jezza receiving a handball from miles OOB with 4 umpires watching is particularly gobsmacking. And the commentary team missing it too.

We have all seen a front of fist "handball" be called 'incorrect disposal' so that is inaccurate

Yep. Draw a line from the boundary umpire's head to the ball and its maybe 30cm out.

He was 2m to 3m away too so that is a poor mistake. Similar to Rankine kicking a goal after running OOB against us earlier in the year.

The 2nd one with the handball was just atrocious. I cant remember as poor a decision. Beyond belief than 4 umpires were within 30m and not one blew their whistle.

Or ARC overturning such a blatant * up.
Change the OoB rule to something like basketball has ie the ball is only once it hits the ground or played at by somebody from OoB.

It's impossible to judge the instant when a rotating oblong ball crosses a concave plane from metres away. Much easier if there something on the ground to judge by.

Easily the worst decision I can ever recall seeing. They are lucky the Pies won but its time the umpires were held to account like the good old days when they were sent bush. And its time the media stopped covering for them.

IMG-8263.jpg

The complete no sell by the commentators was weird as well. A second or two wondering why the pies fans were booing, a quick discussion and laugh at the replay and then roll on.

The complete no sell by the commentators was weird as well. A second or two wondering why the pies fans were booing, a quick discussion and laugh at the replay and then roll on.
it took the commentary team 1 min after Cameron’s goal from a handball receive while out of bounds for a comment to be made about the illegitimate nature of the goal. Before then they were all gushing over Cameron’s goal and BT said “I don’t know what the boos are for”. Pathetic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care which team it benefits, it's bullshit.

And any fan (and I was with some who said it) who says "well I don't care how we win..." etc., then why have rules at all?

There's getting an iffy free, there's having a mark paid when it wasn't and so on. But this is so far beyond that, just appalling incompetence, with no less than four separate umpires having a clear view of what happened.

Let's not forget the totally compliant, totally bought and sold footy media that is terrified to say anything against their overlords.

Last edited:
Utterly bewildering non-decision (the Close to Cameron handball), and yeah, seriously appalling that it wasn't picked up by any of the watching officials.

But I can't help but think umpires missing these obvious ones is unsurprising when rule changes in the last decade or so have carved out various exceptions to basic boundary-line principles. You no longer need to kick it to yourself to play on from the goal square - it's not called out of bounds if you run off your line from over the line after a mark/free kick, so long as you don't change direction again whilst still over the line - the mark in the backline is now "back to the nine", so the player with the ball often enters the field of play (sometimes only on the line, other times more overtly) but isn't called to play on straight away... you can agree or disagree with each of the rule tweaks, but the upshot of them all is that umpires will no longer have as clear an instinct about what's wrong or right when dealing with boundary lines - and successful officiating in the moment relies on well-honed instincts, not fine legal interpretation.

Doesn't excuse this shocker of a non-call - but maybe explains how we ended up here.

I don't care which team it benefits, it's bullshit.

And any fan (and I was with some who said it) who says "well I don't care how we win..." etc., then why have rules at all?

There's getting an iffy free, there's having a mark paid when it wasn't and so on. But this is so far beyond that, just appalling incompetence,, with no less than four separate umpires have a clear view of what happened.

Let's not forget the totally compliant, totally bought and sold footy media that is terrified to say anything against their overlords.

Worth also noting Cameron was awarded a mark in the third when the Pies were surging where he was a meter or so over the boundary line.

You can maybe argue the boundary ump was blind sided but there are no excuses for this. Its just appalling.

If the AFL didn't want the goal they wouldn't of allowed it. I had no problem with the AFL allowing the goal because we want to see more good goals like that.

Just last week there was an out of bounds on the full in the Carlton vs St. Kilda game and the 3 umpires met to deliberate to try come up with the right call and you could clearly see the main umpire receive the decision from above as he puts his hand to his earpiece to hear more clearly what the correct call is, the correct call was made in the end, and they easily could've made the right call last night but didn't want to, it's the AFL's prerogative in my opinion.

Last edited:
And Geelong fans wonder why he is disliked across the league?

No. Two field umpires are close enough and looking directly at the play. Yes, it is their job to assess every rule constantly, but in that moment they only really had one rule to assess.
Field Umpires don’t call out of bounds.

If the AFL didn't want the goal they wouldn't of allowed it. I had no problem with the AFL allowing the goal because we want to see more good goals like that.

Just last week there was an out of bounds on the full in the Carlton vs St. Kilda game and the 3 umpires met to deliberate to try come up with the right call and you could clearly see the main umpire recieve the decision from above as he puts his hand to his earpiece to hear more clearly what the correct call is, the correct call was made in the end, and they easily could've made the right call last night but didn't want to, it's the AFL's prerogative in my opinion.
Integrity of the game?

Look at the people responding, all clubs. AFL needs to be very careful. We had an umpire banned for assisting the brownlow betting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back