Rule Change for kicking for goal/30 second countdown

Remove this Banner Ad

the_cleaner

Senior List
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
one rule that i would love to see get changed or tweaked a little bit. a rule that i think gets abused way too much is the 30 second kicking for goal rule.

i hate seeing teams use it as a way to run the clock down and time waste essentially.

some rules i would bring in to counteract and help eliminate time wasting are

1. if you mark the ball from outside the 50m arc, you get the 30 second shot clock. however if you don’t register a score or if the ball goes out on the fool. then the ball goes back to the opposition where the kick for goal was taken.

don’t want to take long bomb goals out of the game but i’m sick to death of seeing players who are clearly outside their kicking range waste the 30 seconds just to kick to the top of the square. if you’re gonna use the 30 second countdown from outside the 50, you better be sure as hell you’re gonna be able to register a score from their

2. another play that grinds my gears watching is when a player inside the 50m arc takes a mark and uses the 30 second countdown only for that player to pass it to another player who then uses the 30 second countdown to have a shot at goal. that’s a whole minute of the game gone.

my solution would be if you take a mark from inside the 50m arc and use the 30 second countdown only for the player to pass it off to another player, it’s play on regardless of what the distance is.

a player can take a mark inside the 50m arc and pass it without it being called played on they just can’t used the 30 second countdown to do it. who then uses the 30 second countdown to have a shot at goal

this is just my opinion but would love to hear other people’s thoughts on whether or not these rules would work or not.

I would prefer they stop the clock when a player lines up for a shot. Then there would be no time wasted. But keep the 30 seconds
not a bad idea but would you reduce the length of the quarters though?

One rule I'd like to see changed is us having to field the same number of players as our opponent. Clearly this year that provides a mismatch in most circumstances and we should be allowed to field an extra few bodies to compensate.
could try, still don’t think it would help either of our clubs.

I think it would be better that you only get one 30 sec shot clock. If you take your 30 and then pass it off to someone else they only get the usual time (8 to 10 seconds?). This would reset once the ball comes out of the 50.

I think it would be better that you only get one 30 sec shot clock. If you take your 30 and then pass it off to someone else they only get the usual time (8 to 10 seconds?). This would reset once the ball comes out of the 50.

Thats a good way of doing it. One 30 second clock per score. A behind or goal resets. So even OOF youve used it - learn to kick better

I've never understood why the time stops running down when you start the run up. It should keep running down regardless, if the 30 seconds is up and your only half way through your run up, bad luck, play on.

I reckon they should make it that if you take the 30 secs then no mark will be paid from the subsequent kick.

It's supposed to be a special allowance for shots on goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back