Umpiring The Purpose Of Boundary Lines - Pies v Cats Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The umps had an interesting interpretation of the protected area. Surely Rhylee West isn't allowed to re-enter the square while Sicily is still in there prior to kicking in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813-204342.png
    Screenshot_20230813-204342.png
    648.9 KB · Views: 41
The umps had an interesting interpretation of the protected area. Surely Rhylee West isn't allowed to re-enter the square while Sicily is still in there prior to kicking in?
Hey, we had a magic one today where the umpire called Stand, and the GWS player stood the mark. Then ran off.
No 50.
But it’s just a mistake, Carlton fans have convinced me that umpiring has no effect on a game.

Umpires dont know the rules. Its clearly no longer a requirement.

Commentators dont know them either so maybe the AFL figure its not worth the hassle.

That was an obvious 50m penalty not HTB.

Hey, we had a magic one today where the umpire called Stand, and the GWS player stood the mark. Then ran off.
No 50.
But it’s just a mistake, Carlton fans have convinced me that umpiring has no effect on a game.

Let’s not forget, not only did they ignore the stand rule completely, they actually stopped the Port player from taking his kick as they stopped and asked the giants player to return to the mark rather than pay a 50! Insanity.

Geelong get looked after like no other club. It’s a joke.

Wouldn't say Geelong, but star players definitely do. And Cameron fits into that category. Most Geelong fans won't admit it, but he doesn't do badly from them at all.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if the treatment given to star players decides a final or two. They really do have their own set of standards that the umpires (don't) follow.

No 50.

I thought that one was umpired perfectly.
It was stated before the season started that a player faking a handball wouldn't be rewarded with a 50m penalty of the player on the mark fell for it.
Houston clearly faked a handball, and then cried like a bitch when he was told that their wouldn't be a 50m penalty.

Chris Scott was pretty poor in the press conference having a crack at the journo questioning the call

Basically said he hadn’t seen it but he’d heard from people who know the rules that it want out of bounds, but sarcastically said to the journo “but you seem pretty confident that you know more than them”

He was also asking back to journo questions “what did you think?”

A bit snarky old Scotty boy
He was unbelievably poor. You understand if a journo asks a bit of snarky question after a close loss, or if a decision was kinda 50/50, but Scott was totally out of line. Maybe he has, but he'd gain a lot of respect if he came out and apologised both in public and in private to both journos. Bit of humility goes a long way.

Wouldn't say Geelong, but star players definitely do. And Cameron fits into that category. Most Geelong fans won't admit it, but he doesn't do badly from them at all.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if the treatment given to star players decides a final or two. They really do have their own set of standards that the umpires (don't) follow.

Very true. Dusty only started getting pinged for the high dont argue when other players started doing it and the AFL decided shoving someone in the face isnt a good look.

IMO nothing beats Ty Zantuck giving away a downfield free after a score by Matthew Carr, and then the umpire asking Zantuck whether Carr should accept the behind or have another shot on goal. Understandably Zantuck said Carr will take the behind.

But this one is up there. Obviously the boundary ump saw what happened, but clearly didn't twig that it was not allowed under the rules. Hell, he's probably never seen it before in a game. But one of the fieldies should have seen what happened well enough to go and have a chat to the boundary ump just to remind him that if the handball was received outside of the line then it's a throw in.
There's a video of that one on YouTube - complete brain fart by the umpire that you thought they would have corrected after a player explained what was going on.

The Close/Cameron one is similar - just a * up. The big problem I have here is that none of the umpires said anything - although even if the goal umpire did I'm not sure they have the authority to do anything. What would the process be - asking the umpire "er, are you sure" after the all clear is given?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back