Recalled boundary throw ins

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had one of these at Crows v Brisbane yesterday.

Reasonable too. Ball would have been slippery and the throw was a shocker.

Common sense aside (as is the AFL motto) is there anything in the rules which allows this. Obviously can for bounces but couldn’t find anything for throw ins or ups, and can’t say I’ve seen this before.

8.2.2 Boundary Umpires (a) Unless otherwise determined by the relevant Controlling Body, the duties of a boundary Umpire shall include without limitation: (i) judging whether a football is Out of Bounds or Out of Bounds On the Full and signalling to the field Umpire when that has occurred; (ii) throwing the football back into play if it has gone Out of Bounds, when directed to do so by a field Umpire; (iii) determining whether a Player has breached a starting position in contravention of Law 18.2.2(b); (iv) bringing the football back to the Centre Square after a Goal has been scored; (v) reporting a Player or Official who commits a Reportable Offence; and (vi) assisting goal Umpires to determine a score. (b) When the boundary Umpire signals that the football is Out of Bounds, the field Umpire shall immediately sound a whistle to indicate that the football is out of play. When directed by the field Umpire, the boundary Umpire shall bring the football into play by throwing the football over their head towards the centre of the Playing Surface. The field Umpire may recall any throw-in by the boundary Umpire that in their opinion does not allow any opportunity for the football to be contested.

Had one of these at Crows v Brisbane yesterday.

Reasonable too. Ball would have been slippery and the throw was a shocker.

Common sense aside (as is the AFL motto) is there anything in the rules which allows this. Obviously can for bounces but couldn’t find anything for throw ins or ups, and can’t say I’ve seen this before.

Do you know what stage of the game that was at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back