Umpire Integrity and Game Outcomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

GoPies1

Debutant
Sep 7, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m wondering when there is going to be a time when an umpire is going to be held accountable for a decision that costs a team a premiership.
So much money put into winning one, the team expenditure, sponsors etc.
But I think it will be a gambling issue that causes a demise of an umpire that will shock us all.
Underworld connections will drive it.
Fans will forever be angered by an umpire who wants to stamp his name in history but the $$$ will eventually get one in trouble.

I’m wondering when there is going to be a time when an umpire is going to be held accountable for a decision that costs a team a premiership.
But I think it will be a gambling issue that causes a demise of an umpire that will shock us all.
Fans will forever be angered by an umpire who wants to stamp his name in history but the $$$ will eventually get one in trouble.
Block on Bruzzy cost the pies

It will never happen and nor should it.

It is very rare that one singular decision made by an umpire costs a team a game or a premiership. There are thousands of decisions each and every game that can impact a result.
That is a layman’s approach.
I’m talking about the gambling issue that runs the afl.
Millions of dollars.

That is a layman’s approach.
I’m talking about the gambling issue that runs the afl.
Millions of dollars.

Yes and no amount of money will be worth the potential toll of dragging an umpire through the mud for a decision, when most understand how rare it is for one decision to decide a result.

Yes and no amount of money will be worth the potential toll of dragging an umpire through the mud for a decision, when most understand how rare it is for one decision to decide a result.
You don’t get where i am coming from!
Supporters or media attention and frustration is all hot air.
I’m talking about retribution for someone losing millions of dollars because an umpire created an outcome.

You don’t get where i am coming from!
Supporters or media attention and frustration is all hot air.
I’m talking about retribution for someone losing millions of dollars because an umpire created an outcome.

I get exactly where you are coming from.

Believe it or not umpire performance is reviewed and they are held to account. Some are dropped, others are stood down.

What is your solution - the umpire must pay out of his or her own pocket? Public stoning in the middle of the MCG? Using his or her head as the ball on grand final day?

What you are getting at is not plausible.

I get exactly where you are coming from.

Believe it or not umpire performance is reviewed and they are held to account. Some are dropped, others are stood down.

What is your solution - the umpire must pay out of his or her own pocket? Public stoning in the middle of the MCG? Using his or her head as the ball on grand final day?

What you are getting at is not plausible.
I’m not talking about anything the public will do.
We all know umpires make terrible decisions that cost teams games or show outright preference in some games, but we as supporters and media get angry, talk crap for a while and move on.
But if you have put a few million on a game and an umpire does it, a retribution fee is small in comparison.
It’s happened overseas, will eventually happen here.
The AFL is so heavy into gambling it’s created its own monster.

But if you have put a few million on a game and an umpire does it, a retribution fee is small in comparison.

Pretty confident this will not happen any time soon and it is ridiculous to expect it to.

Speaking of a few million, that is probably the number of issues the AFL has that would take priority over what to do with punters who feel aggrieved that they lost their bet due to an umpiring error.

Pretty confident this will not happen any time soon and it is ridiculous to expect it to.

Speaking of a few million, that is probably the number of issues the AFL has that would take priority over what to do with punters who feel aggrieved that they lost their bet due to an umpiring error.
The punter I’m talking about won’t be complaining.
They will just organise something quietly.
That’s the question i have raised.
The afl in deep with gambling which is not a clean sector.
Umpires doing a sh*t job, even shown this finals series to date.
Someone will crack, I’m asking how long until then?
Gamblers tried hobbling players many years ago, a famous full forward im to believe.

Someone will crack, I’m asking how long until then?
However long it takes for them to sort out the millions of issues that would take priority over this. And that's assuming no further issues come to hand before that time, which obviously won't happen.

So, a long long long time. Conservatively, a couple of centuries.

Considering 95% of fan abuse at umpires is totally unwarranted I don't see this being a real issue. Best thing I recommend you do GoPies1 is spend a year or two umpiring your local seniors competition and then you will have a whole new perspective on life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is very rare that one singular decision made by an umpire costs a team a game or a premiership. There are thousands of decisions each and every game that can impact a result.

Adelaide had 2 games this season in which a single umpiring decision cost us the game.
It's not very rare, it happens more often than many might realise.

Adelaide had 2 games this season in which a single umpiring decision cost us the game.
It's not very rare, it happens more often than many might realise.

But in each of those games there were probably 100+ decisions that could have gone either way, that had just as big an impact.

We lose sight of it in the passion of it all, but it's very rarely about one single decision. And that's why ideas like the one put forward by the OP will never get off the ground.

You are all looking at it from a fan’s perspective!
I’m talking about organised crime, gambling and somebody losing millions and taking retribution

Goal umpiring mistake and A(V)FL's lack of good process may have cost the Crows this years flag!

Umpire integrity? - Exhibit 1 - 2016 GF. Umps got caught up in the Fairy Pups feel good being promoted by the AFL

There’s no doubt the AFL itself wants to see certain clubs successful. They regularly turn an eye away from different things including salary cap and recruiting breechs. Not to mention favourable umpiring and as we’ve seen tribunal outcomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back