Umpires call plus inconclusive evidence equals shambles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Didak Wine

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2009
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Without a goal umpire's call different and more acurate decisions would be made. If a goal umpire is in doubt and we go with their hunch we are allowing that to ruin the game. Petraccas goal, was not protested by a single carlton player. That tells you the ultimate truth. If afl players pick up on that they will change the game even more. If all you need is inconclusive evidence I'd be waving around that I touched every goal bound ball filling the goal umpire with doubt everytime. It was a clear goal, like Jamie elliors a few weeks back. One angle shows a clear gap between hand and ball.

And ffs just review goals scored where player runs over boundary line or marks over boundary line or allow teams a right to protest 3 decisions.

From what I - and most people in the match thread - saw, it was a goal and the Demons were robbed.

BUT this is not really anything to do with the DRS, the umpire made a call, perhaps it was an error, perhaps he was in the best position and saw something the footage didn't capture. Mistakes will always be made.

From what I - and most people in the match thread - saw, it was a goal and the Demons were robbed.

BUT this is not really anything to do with the DRS, the umpire made a call, perhaps it was an error, perhaps he was in the best position and saw something the footage didn't capture. Mistakes will always be made.
Agreed, but when the continual mistakes combined with the flatout dubious calls we see on a game by game basis become the rule and not the exception its about time they cleaned up the ones they can.
I cant think of another sport where its promoted as an elite competition yet adjudicated as you'd expect from a div5 ammo's.

Agreed, but when the continual mistakes combined with the flatout dubious calls we see on a game by game basis become the rule and not the exception its about time they cleaned up the ones they can.
I cant think of another sport where its promoted as an elite competition yet adjudicated as you'd expect from a div5 ammo's.

That's because they look much more closely at every goal/point decision now with zoomed in cameras and every game televised.

As for the dubious calls, meh, it is a very difficult sport to umpire.

That's because they look much more closely at every goal/point decision now with zoomed in cameras and every game televised.

As for the dubious calls, meh, it is a very difficult sport to umpire.
They make it a difficult sport to umpire by leaving a grey area in almost every rule and how it can be interpreted.

If we’re going to concede that a win or loss is determined by one singular decision (correct or incorrect) and not the four quarters of play that led teams to be in said situation requiring decision. Every free kick now needs to be reviewed under the same rigour. We’d also have to introduce something similar to the Tennis where teams could challenge decisions also and also call time out for non decisions.

It would ruin the game.

I’d rather just see the ARC removed and trust the umpire who was one metre away and their decision

Looked like a goal live and on one review angle was inconclusive but on another it looked like the ball misses the Carlton hand by at least 10cm.

No idea what the ARC rules are for overturning. Does every angle need to be conclusive to overturn ?

Either way pretty sure the Demons were robbed.

Looked like a goal live and on one review angle was inconclusive but on another it looked like the ball misses the Carlton hand by at least 10cm.

No idea what the ARC rules are for overturning. Does every angle need to be conclusive to overturn ?

Either way pretty sure the Demons were robbed.
At least 10cms? From the post when it clips his forearm? Huh?

Attachments

• CE1A74DC-32DE-463E-B531-4DC063E201AA.jpeg
    CE1A74DC-32DE-463E-B531-4DC063E201AA.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 59
At least 10cms? From the post when it clips his forearm? Huh?
surely the AFL could put cameras at top of goal post looking downwards?. that picture does not reveal conclusive proof it touched his arm as the ball is forward of his arm, cant tell how far in front of his arm the ball is. Decision could have gone either way but need better technology.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

surely the AFL could put cameras at top of goal post looking downwards?. that picture does not reveal conclusive proof it touched his arm as the ball is forward of his arm, cant tell how far in front of his arm the ball is. Decision could have gone either way but need better technology.
Hence why it was the umpires call. It was inconclusive. The narrative getting around was it was clearly a goal and the same photos and technology show that. It’s ridiculous.
I think the marking infringement not paid against Marchbank in the same incident deserves more air time then this

Without a goal umpire's call different and more acurate decisions would be made.
Without the soft call the footage would've still been inconclusive and there wouldn't be a call at all.
There's always been a 'soft call' - its just that before video review it wasn't a soft call it was just the call.
What would viewers rather - that we let goal umpires make a howler semi-often, or we check every call with the caveat that at times the findings will be inconclusive?

Obviously it would be better with high frame rate cameras, but in this particular instance I didn't see anything that could conclusively disprove the umpire's call.

Last edited:
Without the soft call the footage would've still been inconclusive and there wouldn't be a call at all.
There's always been a 'soft call' - its just that before video review it wasn't a soft call it was just the call.
What would viewers rather - that we let goal umpires make a howler semi-often, or we check every call with the caveat that at times the findings will be inconclusive?

Obviously it would be better with high frame rate cameras, but in this particular instance I didn't see anything that could conclusively disprove the umpire's call.

Yeah, it just is what it is.

A Human makes a decision under pressure and duress, and sometimes gets it wrong.

It happens.

Need to invest in some better cameras, and place a few more of them in more useful locations.

If the footage is 30fps, that may as well be a slide show. You want 60 or even 90fps.

You can get decent cameras off the shelf at electronics stores that would be more fit for purpose than whatever they're using now.

And also place them so that you have several different angles of view. If perspective effects or players blocking the line of sight ruin one shot, you've got others.

Petracca being awarded the goal doesn't mean Melbourne would've won it.

It goes straight back into the middle for a 6-6-6 scenario. Who's to say Carlton wouldn't have gotten it down the other end and scored a goal right away?

It's too simplistic to say Melbourne were robbed of the game.

Sure but it's not the first time there's been a controversy like this, nor will it be the last.

There's no 'conspiracy' though.

I agree. It's just the AFL being a clown show as always. As I alluded to in an earlier post, more view angles and some additional frames to fill in the slide show, and we would have seen clearly that it was a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back