• Nic Newman

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the argument for lead by example guys and for guys who direct on field.

I don't think we need a quiet, introverted type. We've been all about peace, love and harmony for years now and it's not working terribly well.

I do want to see someone who can be commanding with their direction during the game, and not just wrap his arms around them in quarter time huddles and try to be everyone's friend.

Weitering is too far away from it all and under too much pressure on the last line to be able to lead effectively.

Cerra seems very quiet. Not sure he'd be ready to lead this team when so many were here before him.

I think Walsh would be a teaching leader and also give a serve when required. He gives himself enough serves to know this is how he would be. He's a pretty driven individual and he was a leader all the way through junior football.

I'm not sure we have anyone on the list right now that fits the mould I really want. Personality wise - something like a Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge or even James Sicily type.

Not someone who will just lead by example, but someone who has a bit of s**t about them and is not afraid of healthy conflict, willing to step up and call out others and enforce standards.

I feel like we have been lacking this for a long time in our leaders. Sadly, as I said, I'm not sure we have anyone who exactly fits that mould. Maybe Newman or Cerra could grow into the role, but I'm not sure. They both seem a bit too "respectful" for what I think we need right now.

We need a bit of a mongrel, but in a good way - the "tough but fair" type. I thought Cripps would be that person tbh, but it doesn't seem to be panning out that way.

We need someone who enjoys being quite vocal, and who values being respected (both individually and as a team) more than being liked. I'm not sure that we've cultivated that too well at the club though.

This is the sort of captain that may, in time, ruffle a few feathers and even cause a couple of people to leave as they struggle with the expectation placed upon them. Provided we get adequate compensation, I don't necessarily think that would be a bad thing at all for the club.

A "uniter" is fine, as long as it's under the right banner. Not someone who just wants to be mates with everyone.

My apologies - ended up way longer and rantier than I expected ;)

TLDR: I have no idea who.

Last edited:

Bring a senior leader type in from outside of our club. Somebody who isn't tainted by our past and who will command the respect of our players. Who is that? I'm not quite sure but there's definitely a dearth of leadership from within our own list.
We need to make some changes in a variety of areas at the end of the year, this is one of the important ones.

Cerra seems very quiet. Not sure he'd be ready to lead this team when so many were here before him.

I think Walsh would be a teaching leader and also give a serve when required. He gives himself enough serves to know this is how he would be. He's a pretty driven individual and he was a leader all the way through junior football.

This is exactly what I feel too. Cerra is a safe media player. Will do exactly what the club needs in a media role. That, now infamous, interview/presser he delivered was so clearly a club directive. I'm just not sold on him being the director like a Walsh would be. I feel he's a fantastic Intuit between the captain and the rest of the playing group where his strengths would be better utilised.

If you look at the set ups at dynasty clubs every club had a Cerra but they all played 2IC to the captain. Mitchell wasn't a great captain but Hodge was but Sam excelled at keeping the playing group united. There's examples st every club. Edwards and Houli st Richmond, the Cats had them on every line under Selwood, etc.

You need someone who can take that and help take the heat off the skipper in the media.

Too laid back. I dont think he's smart enough.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Great captains don’t need to be smart, look at Voss.

Slim pickings for options atm. Cerra seems a bit quiet like Marc Murphy. The way he melted under the pressure of a few journos angling him for a soundbite is not a good sign. In his defence with the club being so directionless, reactionary and scared of pressure he probably just didn’t know what to say. “We want to play finals, no it’s ok if we don’t, no we expect to play finals, no we’re on long journey of learnings.” And that’s just speaking of finals, what about actual success? What a mess.

The messaging should be simple and clear at all times and through all levels of the club, we’re here to win flags and we’re hungry for success. Never deviate from that language. It’s that simple. But apparently at Carlton, it’s not.

They should prioritise drafting a captain this year. Put Weitering in for a couple years and then give Walsh the opportunity for a few years as well.

Great captains don’t need to be smart, look at Voss.

Slim pickings for options atm. Cerra seems a bit quiet like Marc Murphy. The way he melted under the pressure of a few journos angling him for a soundbite is not a good sign. In his defence with the club being so directionless, reactionary and scared of pressure he probably just didn’t know what to say. “We want to play finals, no it’s ok if we don’t, no we expect to play finals, no we’re on long journey of learnings.” And that’s just speaking of finals, what about actual success? What a mess.

The messaging should be simple and clear at all times and through all levels of the club, we’re here to win flags and we’re hungry for success. Never deviate from that language. It’s that simple. But apparently at Carlton, it’s not.

They should prioritise drafting a captain this year. Put Weitering in for a couple years and then give Walsh the opportunity for a few years as well.
Several years ago, we drafted a kid (potential future leader) who was captain in school footy and U18s. We "Carltonised" him for a few seasons, dumped him and now he is the skipper of Willi in the VFL. Who knows if we had properly developed that skillset abit further we might have had a handy footballer on our list today, dare I say it maybe even a Captain or handy Vice.

If you take the last 20 years Carlton has been the worst club in the Afl.

To achieve this “title” the people in control must have made more wrong decisions than right. But you still blindly support their decisions. That is illogical.

At this point nothing other than massive change at all levels of the club should be supported.

And btw the coach doesn’t pick the captain at Carlton, the marketing department does.

Not a clue what you're on about. I'll say it again, the coach should pick the captain.

Not a clue what you're on about. I'll say it again, the coach should pick the captain.
It should have always remained that the Coach picks the Captain, otherwise, it just turns into a popularity contest among the players.

If you take the last 20 years Carlton has been the worst club in the Afl.

To achieve this “title” the people in control must have made more wrong decisions than right. But you still blindly support their decisions. That is illogical.

At this point nothing other than massive change at all levels of the club should be supported.

And btw the coach doesn’t pick the captain at Carlton, the marketing department does.

Since when does the marketing dept pick the Captain!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You spelled Simpson funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carrazzo and Duigan were both way ahead but the decision had to get though the board.

Malthouse had only picked 2 premiership captains from left field previously, what would he know.

We are at a similar point to when Juddy came into the team. I can't even remember who gave up the leadership to him. And within 12 months Sticks was the skipper. The two best captains in my lifetime were relatively new to the club. If we all agree Crippa and co are not in even the same sphere as Sticks and Juddy then who out there is? And where do we need that level of leadership on the field?
We need a real ruckman, not Pitto or TDK or JSOS or Mirkov, although reckon O'Keefe will make the grade. Darcy from Freo is the one, absolute Captain material as well, Victorian with the go home factor, competition from Jackson, definitely someone whom a potential Cripps trade would have some currency, I'd throw in Fisher too. Bring him straight in make him captain the likes of Doc, Weiters and Walsh would get the message straight away. Stay and play or sook and feck off. Club takes back control from playing group.

Malthouse was overridden by the club to appoint Marc Murphy. Even though he knew Carrazzo was a better leader.
100% true.

At Hyundai we sponsored Carrazzo, and I sat at the announcement dinner with him, because the inside word we got was he would be Captain.

Board overrode Mick.

Mick captain preferences with exception of Buckley, was generally speaking both at West coast and collingwood, the team oriented blue collar unheralded worker (maxwell, burns, mckenna, woosha etc.

For Carlton right now, as next Captain, Id like to see the team oriented blue collar worker, not the superstar.

Id argue, the player hasn't yet been seen.

Cerra seems to have the resilience in troubled times, as his performance actually is improving not receding

Still think we need our Joel Selwood moment. Was hoping maybe Cowan was that man, with a run through the middle. Came with strong leadership credentials didnt he?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Not sure who it will be, but we don’t have to make the decision yet.

What I can say is we have three very good options waiting in the wings.

Walsh
Cerra
Weitering

Different types who would bring a different style of leadership.

Not sure where the narrative that we have no options comes from.
Many clubs across the competition would love to have those options available to them.

But hey, negative supporters will say anything I guess.

Walsh and it's not even close.

People around here have short memories.

Exactly - he will be back in form soon enough and continue to inspire his teammates and when he becomes captain everyone will say it was inevitable and won’t even remember that people on here suggested Cerra or Weitering

And Walsh will probably end up being our third longest serving captain behind Sticks and Nicholls

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back