Remove this Banner Ad

have been watching the NFL 100 series of shows on 7Mate

Have seen:
Best Plays
Best Games
Characters
Originals(Game changers)

Anyone know if there are any others ?

What an incredible career, love hearing stories like this, playing as the QB and PK in the same game while throwing 3tds, kicking field goal from 48 yards as time expired as a 43 year old having not made one that long in over 2 years . Wild.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Magnificent Heff
By DICK CULLUM Minneapolis Tribune Sport columnist

THREE MEN OF FABULOUS MIGHT, one in legend and two in fact, have sprung from the soil of Minnesota.

The mighty man of legend was Paul Bunyan.

The mighty men of amazing fact are Bronko Nagurskl and Pudge Heffelfinger.

At the age of 82 the Magnificent Heff still glows with the evidence of his youthful power and prowess. His voice crackles with vitality. His ready smile dis plays big, healthy teeth in full array. His carriage is erect and easy, his pace brisk. His thoughts are of today, with no more than a proper respect for the things of yesterday.

No single football player in the history of the game has had so much influence on its trends. In Heff’s final year in college, Yale outscored the opposition 698 to 0. Pudge played every minute of the 13 games on the schedule.

He has been named at guard on every all-time, All America team ever selected.

The story of Heffelfinger in football went on until he was nearly 65, when he played nine minutes of a Thanksgiving day game in Minneapolis. He left the game because of an injured knee, his first incapacitating injury.

Perhaps the most Homeric feat in Heffelfinger’s life, if not indeed one of the greatest physical demonstrations ever given, occurred in Columbus, Ohio, in 1920 when Pudge was 52.

A squad of Ohio players, many of whom played on a fine Ohio State team that fall, was aligned in a Thanksgiving day charity game against an all-star array of players from Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Michigan State, Centre college—which was the wonder team of that time—and Harvard and Yale.

These men were all under 30. Many had played college football that year or the year before or had been active in professional or semi-professional play. Heffelfinger was invited to join the all-star squad chiefly for the publicity his presence would give the game but he insisted on being treated just as any other player and started at left guard.

It had been planned to withdraw him after a few plays but his performance was so magnificent that players on both sides soon perceived he needed no special consideration. Heff, at the age of 52, played 54 minutes of that game without relief. His team won by 16 to 0 with Bo McMillin of Centre at quarterback, Eddie Casey of Harvard, Roy Eichenlaub of Notre Dame and Red Roberts of Centre at the ball-carrying positions, and Heffelfinger pulling out of the line and leading them for long gains.

In the 1960s a man known only as "Nelson Ross" walked into the office of Art Rooney, the president of the Pittsburgh Steelers of the National Football League. After a brief discussion, the man gave Rooney a typed, 49-page manuscript about the early history of pro football. Ross' examination of Pittsburgh newspapers indicated that the first pro American football player actually was Pudge Heffelfinger, an all-American guard from Yale, who was hired to play for Allegheny on November 12, 1892 for $500 ($14,402 in 2020 dollars[13]). The Pro Football Hall of Fame soon discovered a page torn from an 1892 account ledger prepared by Allegheny manager, O. D. Thompson, that included the line item: "Game performance bonus to W. Heffelfinger for playing (cash) $500."[14] Though the payment was not verified until the acquisition of an Allegheny Athletic Association expense ledger from the day by the Pro Football Hall of Fame, this fee established Heffelfinger as being the first professional American football player on record.[15]

Throughout his life, Heffelfinger, maintained a high level of involvement with football.[10] After his professional coaching career ended, he continued for decades to make yearly trips to New Haven to assist the coaching staff.[9] Into his 50s, Heffelfinger not only coached the Yalies from the sideline, but scrimmaged with them on the field, showing remarkable toughness.[9][10] He also played competitively in charity and exhibition games against much younger men, playing his last game at age 65.[10] From 1935 to 1950, Heffelfinger edited Heffelfinger's Football Facts, a yearly booklet featuring history, rules, statistics, and professional and college schedules for the upcoming season.[26

Comments section again. One thats seems highly plausible, that Pat Tillman was killed by his own military and his story propagandized as a war hero because he was becoming a threat to national PR, anti-war spokesperson, criminal war against Iraq, etc.

Or the real reason why Butler was benched minutes before the SB....disciplinary reason because he took drugs night before, ran around nude, took a s**t on Bill, had a fight with Bills son, maybe even prostitute night before, how many players told various reasons so Bill could find the mole in the team, or Butler was a mole

Etc with many other things....deflategate, bottlegate, manning and the PEDs, halftime blackout, rigging of games etc.

Good article on why/how every major sport has true guaranteed contracts except the NFL

Good topic, comments section full of interesting stuff...

Example...

In 2017, the Saints went up 45-10 on the Lions. Thanks to Stafford, a kick return, and a big man TD, the Lions cut the lead to 7 and had the ball. A Cam Jordan pick 6 iced it, but the Lions damn near pulled off the greatest comeback of all time.

Here’s a guy who could fling a football nearly the length of a football field.

“The longest I have ever thrown a football was 93 yards,” Bishop said. “Damion McIntosh (former player on both the defensive and offensive lines) was a freak on the football field. He threw one 85 yards, so I came out and threw one 93, right there on the field at K-State.

“I always have had a strong arm; I worked at it for a long time to make it as strong as possible. We always had pitching contests while playing baseball when we were youths. I started playing baseball when I was 5.

“I started playing football when I was 8. I was born with the ability to throw a football, and I was blessed to be able to keep it strong.”

Back in the early aughts Peter King released a book where he ranked who he considered to be the top 100 QBs of all time. At the end of the book he had a section where he also ranked a few special scenarios, such as “Most Clutch” and “Strongest Arm.” In the Strongest Arm section he relayed a story he’d heard from an old-school Bears reporter about Rudy Bukich, a guy who could throw a ball from one end zone to the other. He checked into it and got it confirmed by Mike Ditka I believe.

Bukich was apparently a journeyman at best, bounced around a few different teams and was never in the conversation for greatest QB overall. But if we’re just talking about arm strength, he’s got to be it. I don’t think anyone else has ever been able to throw a ball 100 yards.

I hate to break it to ya, but Ditka is full of s**t

This is physically impossible. I suppose if he had a massive tailwind but assuming stable weather it defies the laws of physics. This is purely an old wives tale. .... Because to throw a football 100 yards would require you to throw approximately 70mph. That’s the velocity achieved by elite punters in the NFL. No recorded throw has ever been within a standard deviation of that. It’s the equivalent of throwing a baseball north of 110mph. You can believe your old Ditka story if you want but there’s a reason no one has ever produced more than hearsay about old high school legends or easily disproved camera tricks of this feat.

Someone did some math two years ago.

PFF's longest charted air yards was 70 yards in a game.

A QB Guru has said he's seen 66 MPH, allegedly, but no recorded pass (in a game) has been higher than 60.

Notable Cannon Arm Josh Allen can throw 62MPH, we know Mahomes can throw 62 as well. Mahomes says he can "Throw 100 yards in Mexico city.", which as we know doesn't count since it's not sea-level, and there's also no proof that he has thrown 100 yards there. Zack Moss says Josh Allen can throw it 100 yards. There is again, no proof of this.

There is no proof of anyone throwing 100 yards. 80 is comfortable believed to be the peak passing distance done by professionals. Just google longest football pass or "Can you throw a football 100 yards" and you fill find zero actual examples of guys throwing 100, or 95-99.

They had a competition for this from 1990-2007 and Testaverde has the longest at 80 yards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back