No sugar/FODMAP combined diet

Remove this Banner Ad

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
To lose weight and deal with my IBS I am currently doing a no refined sugar and FODMAP diet at the moment, and have been doing it for the last month or so. Its going well - have a lost 4-5kg. Basically Ive just cut out absolutely all sweets (absolutely no chocolate, lollies, cakes, biscuits, muffins - haven't had a single sweet in weeks), bread, pasta, and limited myself to the low sugar FODMAP foods like meats, chicken, fish (eg: tuna, salmon) a couple of servings max of certain fruits a day (eg: grapes, oranges, rockmelon, pineapple), nuts (macadamia, peanuts, brazil nuts), and FODMAP vegies. Having limited processed sauces as they tend to be high in sugar, although I have found some FODMAP friendly curry simmer sauces. For breakfast I have eggs or gluten-free weetbix which taste just as good as the normal ones. Have lots of omlettes too. Milk - I cope with lactose ok so sticking to hi-lo.

Ive found that onion and garlic really screw up my stomach, making me bloated to the point of pain. Both contain high amounts of oligos sugars.

Anyone else doing FODMAP or sugar-free and would like to share their progress or food ideas?

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
To lose weight and deal with my IBS I am currently doing a no refined sugar and FODMAP diet at the moment, and have been doing it for the last month or so. Its going well - have a lost 4-5kg. Basically Ive just cut out absolutely all sweets (absolutely no chocolate, lollies, cakes, biscuits, muffins - haven't had a single sweet in weeks), bread, pasta, and limited myself to the low sugar FODMAP foods like meats, chicken, fish (eg: tuna, salmon) a couple of servings max of certain fruits a day (eg: grapes, oranges, rockmelon, pineapple), nuts (macadamia, peanuts, brazil nuts), and FODMAP vegies. Having limited processed sauces as they tend to be high in sugar, although I have found some FODMAP friendly curry simmer sauces. For breakfast I have eggs or gluten-free weetbix which taste just as good as the normal ones. Have lots of omlettes too. Milk - I cope with lactose ok so sticking to hi-lo.
Ive found that onion and garlic really screw up my stomach, making me bloated to the point of pain. Both contain high amounts of oligos sugars.

Anyone else doing FODMAP or sugar-free and would like to share their progress or food ideas?

I did the fodmap elimination 3 or 4 years ago and like you, onion and garlic (and cabbage) really create havoc. The good news, Garlic oil (like cobram estate) is recommended by Monash for those with issues.
It's amazing to think I suffered from chronic gut and indigestion issues all my adult life just because of three simple foods.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
following the fodmap diet has been a boon for me and the monash uni app with all the foods tagged with suggested diets is fantastic.

rioli_magic

Debutant
May 19, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I suffer from IBS and I did this a few years ago and felt great after a lot of issues.

Unfortunately since I’ve gone by the way side. I’ve found my biggest struggle has been social life and alcohol how do you cope with this? Any strategies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back