Remove this Banner Ad

2nds NON-Crows SANFL Chat

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreyCrow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Geez west are bad. Not even bass can fix them.

Go the legs
I think you are looking at this through red and blue glasses

Bass will fix them. Losses like today will happen less and less
 

Log in to remove this Banner Ad

Been some definite signs of improvement with Westies this season, but as with any rebuild from the basement up, results like Saturday will still occur.

Hopefully West will take the State Game week off as a chance to regather and respond after the break and it doesn't derail their good start to the season.

Meanwhile, looks like the wooden spoon is heading north of Gepps Cross for the first time in nearly 40 seasons.
 
Interesting article in the Tise today. I agree with Mattner on raising the compo limit.

‘RIPPING THE GUTS OUT’ OF THE SANFL


Josh Francou could not be stronger.

He hates the impact the AFL mid-season draft has on the SANFL, describing the crapshoot as an “absolute disaster’’ and capable of “ripping the guts out of SANFL clubs’’.

“From an SANFL coach’s perspective, it’s an absolute disaster,’’ the North Adelaide coach and former Port Adelaide AFL star said.

“It’s absolutely brilliant for players who get to live out their dream by ending up on an AFL list, but from a coach’s perspective and anyone involved in the SANFL, it rips the guts out of SANFL clubs.

“You can lose key players who you’ve planned to have in your side all year – and you’ve trained a certain way all through the pre-season and early part of the (regular) season thinking you will have them – and then suddenly they could be lost to the AFL.

“It makes for a really challenging landscape.’’

A year after six SANFL players were ruthlessly snapped up at the 2025 AFL mid-season draft, South Australia’s state league clubs are bracing themselves for another hit (on May 26) which could change the dynamics of their seasons.

Last year, Glenelg, which was chasing a hat-trick of premierships for the first time in its history, was dealt a mid-year hammer blow when it lost two key defenders – Harrison Ramm (to Port) and Oscar Adams (Gold Coast) – and was smashed in the grand final by Sturt. Like Francou, who used his ABC Grandstand radio segment to express his concerns, triple Double Blues premiership coach Martin Mattner fully understands the opportunities afforded to SANFL players who get snapped up by AFL clubs in the mid-season draft.

But he believes AFL clubs should cough up more for them, so that SANFL clubs are better compensated for the work – and often high financial expense – they put into players to help them get to the next level.

Under current rules, SANFL clubs receive $10,000 for losing a player in the mid-season draft.

Mattner believes the figure should be raised to $50,000.

“It should be more, I think it should be $50,000, which would make AFL clubs make a bigger call on whether to take a player because then it’s a big investment,’’ he said.

“I think the base contract for a mid-season draftee should also be 18 months, it can’t be six months, so the player at least gets a decent opportunity to go and prove himself and isn’t just being picked up willy-nilly to fill the spot of an injured player.

“You don’t want players being used as a bandaid measure for six months and then being shown the door.

“And for SANFL clubs, it’s not as simple as, ‘oh, you can go and replace that player at the end of the year’.

“You’ve invested a lot of time and money into that player. Every time you manage to recruit someone from interstate you’ve probably had conversations with five other players because of the recruiting competition with other clubs.

“There is a big cost which comes with that because you have to fly the player to Adelaide, get them accommodation, show them around town and look after them, which all costs money.

“If mid-season draftees are offered an 18-month contract and SANFL clubs are compensated with $50,000 then at least AFL clubs will have to make a really clear choice about what they are doing.’’

SANFL club powerbrokers have revealed that signing a key interstate recruit costs them, on average, about $10,000, taking into consideration the costs involved with flights, which can include partners and family members, accommodation, other travel arrangements, dinners and meetings.

This is before a player makes a commitment and doesn’t include signing fees and match payments.

Clubs also say that while one of their focuses is to produce AFL players, their members and supporters are most concerned with having success and winning premierships. Losing players in the middle of a season might not only hurt their premiership and finals hopes, but also cost them plenty of money due to not playing in the big games, resulting in less commercial and membership revenue.

Glenelg coach Matthew Clarke, who like Francou and Mattner has vast AFL experience, said he simply was “not an advocate for the mid-season draft’’.

“I am an advocate for people getting (AFL) opportunities but I just think they should do it (drafts) at the end of the season because ultimately the AFL clubs aren’t using it (mid-season draft) to fill a need in the short term,’’ he said.

“They are using it as a second dip for taking talent that they aren’t necessarily going to use that year, but instead think will be part of their list the next year. So I’d encourage the powers that be to leave it (drafting) to the end of the season or the pre-season draft. They should leave mid-season alone.’’

Woodville-West Torrens coach Sam Jacobs agreed with his counterparts.

“We (clubs) understand that one of our roles is to help provide a path and development for players with ambitions to play AFL, but I really believe it (the draft) is something that should happen at the end of the year,’’ he said.

Several SANFL players are understood to be on the radar of AFL clubs for this year’s mid-season draft.

Among those to have caught the eye are Eagles quartet Ted Clohesy, who trained with the Power in the pre-season, Max Beattie, Ethan Grace and Kade Herbert, giant West Adelaide ruckman Caleb May, North’s Alex Van Wyk, Adelaide’s Tom Bell, Port’s Rome Burgoyne and Sturt’s Luca Slade.

Bloods tall Tom Scully, a former Power-listed key forward, has reportedly met with the Western Bulldogs.

He has been ruled out of this week’s SANFL-WAFL interstate clash after suffering a minor knee injury against Norwood last Saturday.
 
the money is paltry, for both the mid season and main drafts. Used to get money for each player draftee, now the 8 clubs just get a lump sum whether they get 0 or 5 drafted. Where's the incentive for clubs?
 
the money is paltry, for both the mid season and main drafts. Used to get money for each player draftee, now the 8 clubs just get a lump sum whether they get 0 or 5 drafted. Where's the incentive for clubs?
Clubs chose the lump sum so they had a more dependable fee they could budget around.
 

KIA State Game Team Selections
KIA State Game – 4.40pm (SA time)
Saturday May 16 at Sullivan Logistics Oval, Perth

WEST END STATE TEAM

F: (8) Josh Hone, (21) Finn Heard, (25) Beau Thomas

HF: (12) Kade Herbert, (17) Tom Emmett, (6) Max Beattie

C: (19) Jacob Kennerley, (10) Tom Lewis (captain), (7) Marty Frederick

HB: (20) Jez McLennan, (18) Aaron Francis (vice captain), (16) Luca Whitelum

B: (4) Cooper Murley, (23) Tom Donnelly, (2) Ethan Grace



R: (27) Caleb May, (13) Baynen Lowe, (3) Ted Clohesy

INT: (15) Aiden Grace, (5) Sam Conforti, (14) Finn Emile-Brennan, (24) Lukas Cooke, (9) Nik Rokahr

EMG: (26) Alex Van Wyk, (11) Jack Delean, (1) Patrick Parnell

DEBUT – Caleb May, Beau Thomas, Jacob Kennerley, Finn Emile-Brennan, Ted Clohesy, Lukas Cooke, Kade Herbert, Ethan Grace



WAFL

F: 16. Jiah Ready, 29. Aaron Clarke, 17. Jack Sears

HF: 3. Zac Mainwaring, 31. Jaiden Hunter, 4. Joey Hinder

C: 2. Stef Giro, 1. Christian Ameduri (captain), 19. Jesse Turner

HB: 8. Jamaine Jones, 26. Chad Pearson, 6. Stan Wright

B: 18. Ethan Hughes, 28. Noah Strom, 10. Zac Guadagnin



R: 33. Scott Jones, 9. Callan England, 20. Lachie Tardrew

INT: 15. Kane Bevan, 12. Galen Savigni, 25. Austin Davis, 23. Kyle Baskerville, 21. Jack Mayo

EMG: 11. Scott Tuia, 14. Ryan Borchet, 24. Corey Watts
 
i suspect if caleb gets through the state game the game against south next weekend will be his last sanfl match. i cant see afl clubs passing up a 208cm 21 year old competitive beast who has worked really hard at his game and strength since coming over. still not a finished product but there is something there once his body matures.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

How good a team did the SANFL even play though? I'm not the most knowledgable about the SANFL but surely a best 22 would include McBean, Hosie and Snelling?
you could probably make about 10 changes if everyone was fit/available.
 

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Back
Top Bottom