News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

I always wondered about history and how leaders got people to accept faustian bargains. What put regular people in a nazi uniforms or behind machine guns for example? Perhaps you get enough citizens onboard, convince them the holdouts are the threat, while they police each other the states actual repression can go unchecked.

Tldr; we lost a good poster to the forum yesterday over pissy non football stuff, it's a shame but probably just a reflection on society as a whole

I always wondered about history and how leaders got people to accept faustian bargains. What put regular people in a nazi uniforms or behind machine guns for example? Perhaps you get enough citizens onboard, convince them the holdouts are the threat, while they police each other the states actual repression can go unchecked.

Tldr; we lost a good poster to the forum yesterday over pissy non football stuff, it's a shame but probably just a reflection on society as a whole

Who did we lose?

Seeing what happened to those that didn't played a big part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just FYI, BigFooty's Terms of Service have been updated to include a determination that any content which is dangerous to health, including anti-vax and covid denial cannot be posted or linked to on the forum.

If you have any queries, concerns or feedback about this you can open a private conversation with Chief.

Going forward, all such material will be dealt with in accordance with the ToS. If you see it, please report it.

3 rounds of cricket....3 rounds interrupted by Covid....All games cancelled for our club as a close contact was at our club on Thursday...hasn't tested positive or negative at this point as he found out last night.....get a rapid test done available at the chemist. Everyone is vaccinated for FFS.

Last week we were waiting for an opposition player to get a negative...which he got...at the very last minute...games went ahead but nearly didn't (not good when you have to travel in some of these competitions from one side of Melb to the other). First round another clubs 4 rounds were cancelled for a similar thing. Thought we were supposed to get vaccinated so we can get on with things...vaccination rates are not going to improve much now.

100 blokes not allowed to play cricket outside today but can all get together at the pub if they want.

Last edited:
3 rounds of cricket....3 rounds interrupted by Covid....All games cancelled for our club as a close contact was at our club on Thursday...hasn't tested positive or negative at this point as he found out last night.....get a rapid test done available at the chemist. Everyone is vaccinated for FFS.

Last week we were waiting for an opposition player to get a negative...which he got...at the very last minute...games went ahead but nearly didn't (not good when you have to travel in some of these competitions from one side of Melb to the other). First round another clubs 4 rounds were cancelled for a similar thing. Thought we were supposed to get vaccinated so we can get on with things...vaccination rates are not going to improve much now.

100 blokes not allowed to play cricket outside today but can all get together at the pub if they want.
That’s dodgy. The one close contact has to quarantine for a week but their family/housemates don’t need to isolate unless the first one turns positive, let alone people they play sport with.

I mean unless you’re in a different state…

That’s dodgy. The one close contact has to quarantine for a week but their family/housemates don’t need to isolate unless the first one turns positive, let alone people they play sport with.

I mean unless you’re in a different state…
It's sub district cricket (fairly high level). I would say they are following the guidelines set out by cricket Victoria...but you are correct. Contacts of close contacts shouldn't stop what they are doing unless that close contact tests positive. Just really disappointing after everyone works all week, travels for training etc. So many would be in contact with cases now without knowing about it with a large number vaccinated anyway and they will all be off playing atm.

Masks are back. Smart and sensible decision.
i don’t think masks every really went out - being considerate of your community and caring for others has always been sexy AF

s**t starting to get real now. The whole country sans WA is getting swamped.

Until this last fortnight our maximum daily number had been south of 40, we're now nudging 1000. Per capita we're on par with Victoria if not slightly worse.

A lot also depends on how you deal with being out and about. Having worked through the lockdowns I guess I am used to masks and sanitizer to the point where I am 3/4 germaphobe when it comes to touching anything and using sanitizer. There is still a chance to catch it obviously but having had the booster at the start of December and my stringent hygiene practices no doubt helped me survive Sydney and new years :cool:
It is easy to see how it spreads. Lets face it a lot of people are not overly stringent with mask wearing or wearing them correctly when the rules have been there and even less sanitize regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back