News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

If I knew I had Covid recently...I might consider not getting the booster until the original 6 months after second shot advice, and let natural immunity protect with the first two jabs for the moment. I might ask my doctor if it is wise/stupid...problem is there are going to be a lot of people that had such mild symptoms and won't know they've had covid without a blood test which puts extra pressure on the health system.

Improvements in the way you have been feeling yet?
Felt much better yesterday for the first half of the day but it really came back with a vengeance last night and today.

Definitely still caving my cranium in, but I’ll get there!

Pfizer. It hammered me when I got my 2nd dose last time too.

Might be a silly question but I wonder if there is any correlation to how people react to the vaccine compared to how they would react to the virus?

Might be a silly question but I wonder if there is any correlation to how people react to the vaccine compared to how they would react to the virus?
The first night I felt the aches from COVID was identical to how I felt after my first jab back in August

The first night I felt the aches from COVID was identical to how I felt after my first jab back in August

I thought I had read the Vax knocked you around a bit more that was what made me kind of wonder if since you have copped the virus fairly badly while others are like "just a runny nose bro".

Would love to understand the 'why' of it all.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

This is really interesting.

Explains how RATs work (the RAT detects a high viral load that indicates you're contagious, rather than whether you're infected), makes the rather obvious but new-to-me point that you can't do genomic testing on a RAT, which means when they are doing genomic testing it's random checks on the PCR tests they do get. Estimates that cases are being under-reporting by a factor of 5.

Makes a couple of points about COVID never being endemic, which is funny because everyone has been saying it'll be like the flu, but if it's not endemic then it's not like the flu.

Also how the vaccines are working against variants. The [spike protein] immunity is less effective which means you're more likely to be infected, but the 'back up' immunity that you get from the vaccines with the T-cell response is holding against the variants.

So you're still able to fight it off and don't get as badly sick. Apparently the T-cell part of the virus is much less likely to mutate too, so new variants should still be covered by the T-cell immunity (assuming your immunity doesn't wane over time, which it does without a booster).

Curious how boosters are treating you all. Yesterday's Moderna has just given me a sore arm where both Pfizers knocked me flat.
Got my booster booked for tomorrow. Was relatively fine after both Pfizer's so I'd expect no reaction but wifey is a bit worried. Got her ass kicked by second pfizer

This is really interesting.

Explains how RATs work (the RAT detects a high viral load that indicates you're contagious, rather than whether you're infected), makes the rather obvious but new-to-me point that you can't do genomic testing on a RAT, which means when they are doing genomic testing it's random checks on the PCR tests they do get. Estimates that cases are being under-reporting by a factor of 5.

Makes a couple of points about COVID never being endemic, which is funny because everyone has been saying it'll be like the flu, but if it's not endemic then it's not like the flu.

Also how the vaccines are working against variants. The [spike protein] immunity is less effective which means you're more likely to be infected, but the 'back up' immunity that you get from the vaccines with the T-cell response is holding against the variants.

So you're still able to fight it off and don't get as badly sick. Apparently the T-cell part of the virus is much less likely to mutate too, so new variants should still be covered by the T-cell immunity (assuming your immunity doesn't wane over time, which it does without a booster).
this all comes with the massive caveat of "it's norman swann speaking", so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious how boosters are treating you all. Yesterday's Moderna has just given me a sore arm where both Pfizers knocked me flat.
No issues with Pfizer booster or the first two.

Friend of mine had Moderna booster after 2 x Pfizer, could not move her arm the day after, went to hospital. Apparently known issue, sent home for the week with antibiotics.

Had Pfizer booster today….a little tender in the arm but that’s all.
This one is kicking my ass, sore arm, body aches and headache.
Strange I had little to none the first two.

This one is kicking my ass, sore arm, body aches and headache.
Strange I had little to none the first two.
Reaction is your immune system kicking the vaccine’s butt - so the first two must have worked :smilev1:

I’m not looking forward to it much… mine’s due Tuesday and given the last two were successively worse, I’m expecting to be wiped out for Australia Day haha

Had Pfizer booster today….a little tender in the arm but that’s all.
That was the same with me. Slightly sore arm for a couple of days. Nothing else.

It will be interesting to see what effect the WA border issue will have on the AFL.

Eagles have coped horribly with bubble life so far.
I have a solution.
Hobart Eagles.
Launceston Dockers.
:p
Seriously though it will be interesting but I suspect there will be some sort of exemptions where teams can fly in and out as long as they are double vaccinated and have had regular negative tests or even better have had boosters. The kicker will be how their vax program is going and what the case levels are in March. That will decide the level of quarantine . The clubs will get in but it will be the how that could be messy.

Had Covid in mid-Jan, just before I was due for the booster. Wiped me out for a week. 3 weeks later I still cant run, tried to go back to the gym and ended up in bed for two days. Anyone who says it's just the flu is full of s**t.

Had Covid in mid-Jan, just before I was due for the booster. Wiped me out for a week. 3 weeks later I still cant run, tried to go back to the gym and ended up in bed for two days. Anyone who says it's just the flu is full of sh*t.

You are in pretty good shape to start with yeah? CrossFit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back