Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure- but what’s your solution? They just have to play better?
Trade, draft and free agency.
We have support case mids.

We need a younger Dangerfield and Guthrie type at years end. Cam and Patrick are at the end and can't be relied upon.
Put an A grader or two in this team with the bulk of the guys we have and no issues. We'd do alright.

We need a younger Dangerfield and Guthrie type at years end. Cam and Patrick are at the end and can't be relied upon.
Put an A grader or two in this team with the bulk of the guys we have and no issues. We'd do alright.
Yep- agree-so it’s not a quick fix though.

I am just sick of this group being praised, and they are on a weekly basis, and for what... Output that is significantly below AFL average.

I just made an observation on today's game, and that was the crows taking it up to an in-form reigning premier.
Virtually every game in the AFL is the same atm. 3-4 mids on each team outdoing what our guys cannot do more than sporadically. Warhorse gets mocked for his view on Bruhn, and maybe he should make the same observation on the rest for fairness. I get lambasted regularly anytime I mention Parfitt (who has regressed this year).

They get undue praise here and it is annoying how low standards have become for our mids.
Yeah there's so much praise over the past 3 weeks, it is truly sickening.

It's a team effort and our team was doing enough round 1-7 (how dare people enjoy a 7-0 start!), but since then we have been seriously easy to play against while not exploiting our strengths nearly enough.

Going and finding every 30 disposal effort recorded from opposition teams I guess is one way to sort things out. Maybe I'll ring Scott and tell him Butters got 40 touches tomorrow night.

Or...we can simply go back to playing the Geelong football that was getting results, and that can work with a just-okay midfield that pressures well, is accountable and are efficient with ball in hand. They can be helped if the forwards and defenders return to their best form as well.

There's a multitude of factors at play. I hope the club explores all angles to improve the team for the rest of the season.

Can't you two duke this s**t out on a different thread?
You aren't allowed to just tag people in other threads to start an argument, I was merely responding to a comment in here and yes, almost every opposition insight in here will end up relating to Geelong.

Why not offer your own opposition observation rather than a petty complaint that merely clogs the thread up more? Or ignore it, since it appears done anyway? Moderators move things or advise on off topic matters if they see fit.

Would be a good effing start.

Achieving Heeney's 24 or more this season (a slow game for Isaac this year btw) is Holmes, Zuthrie, Miers, Stewart, Duncan, Cameron and Bruhn. One mid among 4 back flankers, a forward flanker and the CHF.

The 4 you list have done it a combined 20 times.
Bowes, Clark, Bruhn, Atkins, Parfitt have done it once.... ONCE.

You really need to stop making this the hill you'll die on, because you are deadset wrong.
Our mids group are s**t and need to be significantly better than they are at present.

Not sure anyones making it a hill to die one

But the expected respones are great for a laugh 😎

Doubt you find one person who’s said our midfield is without issues, but when addressing where areas of improvement are needed doesn’t mean that one can’t also acknowledge the positives that we’ve also seen

Focusing purely on the negatives seems a rather boring approach & a really good way to take the fun out of football - I’d rather take the opportunties to also see the positives, to acknowledge them and keep the fun of going to the football, because there’s so many other negatives in the world that the escapism of football doesn’t need to be one of them

It's a team effort and our team was doing enough round 1-7 (how dare people enjoy a 7-0 start!), but since then we have been seriously easy to play against while not exploiting our strengths nearly enough.
It was a great start. No denying that.
Ruthless efficiency and speed going forward and a back 6 that soaked up entries was a large contributing factor.

The last 3 weeks have been shit, and we're seeing what happens when a strong mid group realises they can dominate us. Ball lives down one end. And if Stewart (getting tagged), Henry (poor form), SDK and Zuthrie cannot repel the opposition we end up losing.
Going and finding every 30 disposal effort recorded from opposition teams I guess is one way to sort things out. Maybe I'll ring Scott and tell him Butters got 40 touches tomorrow night.
It's not so much the 'number' that matters. Every team in the comp has 3-4 mids who with complete ease accumulate mid 20s disposals and contribute in stoppages. Our guys seem to make both look so damn hard. In comparison I would say off half back that Holmes makes it look so easy. As does Gryan on the forward flank. They just play and before you know it they have 20 touches.
Or...we can simply go back to playing the Geelong football that was getting results, and that can work with a just-okay midfield that pressures well, is accountable and are efficient with ball in hand. They can be helped if the forwards and defenders return to their best form as well.
Sadly I think if we cannot get Dangerfield on the park and stay fit for the 2nd half of the year we look like a lame duck.
Would make the switch and back in Conway from here though.

Just saw the end of the Pies vs Crows game and that was another "you just cost us the game" moment from the umpire.

Is that when Rankine ran 24m without a bounce?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You aren't allowed to just tag people in other threads to start an argument, I was merely responding to a comment in here and yes, almost every opposition insight in here will end up relating to Geelong.

Why not offer your own opposition observation rather than a petty complaint that merely clogs the thread up more? Or ignore it, since it appears done anyway? Moderators move things or advise on off topic matters if they see fit.
I have my own observations of our midfield issues, but the "Non Geelong Thread" is not the place for it.

Not sure anyones making it a hill to die one

But the expected respones are great for a laugh 😎

Doubt you find one person who’s said our midfield is without issues, but when addressing where areas of improvement are needed doesn’t mean that one can’t also acknowledge the positives that we’ve also seen

Focusing purely on the negatives seems a rather boring approach & a really good way to take the fun out of football - I’d rather take the opportunties to also see the positives, to acknowledge them and keep the fun of going to the football, because there’s so many other negatives in the world that the escapism of football doesn’t need to be one of them
yeah and the alternative of giving figurative reacharounds to under-performing players is so good to read.
They're aren't many acknowledging Parfitt has been crap. Blicavs and Atkins have copped it but he hasn't.

Been plenty trying to lop Duncan's head off and send him to pasture... Despite him playing better than nearly all our mids.

I agree that Art put the observation in the wrong thread and was not sure how to reply to it without quoting it here directly. I am trying my best mate. Bare with me. :)
technically I had it in the right thread. My observation was on Pies v Crows ;)

Reddit thread on the matter claims the lines are cut 12ish metres wide, meaning after that first bounce Rankine ran approx. 24m.

Fox Footy had an explanation on it

You reckon a prime aged Danger and Guthrie would improve us? You sure about that?

Any chance you could magic those up for us come trade period? Preferably as free agents actually. Maybe a couple of Abletts while you're at it would be nice too. I'll accept a senior and a junior. Maybe a 24 year old Tom Hawkins too.

And while you're handing out miracles I'll take 10 years off my age and if you could organise a down to earth, funny, loyal, nymphomaniac supermodel who happens to fall for me that would be great too. Should be pretty easy compared to just adding a prime aged Danger and Guthrie really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back