Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

From David Zita -

Reasons for sanction:

From footage, it’s clear Smith was not in a position to impact the contest and did not expect the contact. Accordingly, Parker failed in his duty of care.

There's always potential to cause injury in the action of Parker. The reasonableness of the bump engaged in by Parker is the heart of the issue, which leads to the charge as accepted.

We weigh up the matters … the incident being off the ball, unforeseen by Smith, causing injuries likely to result in surgery and 10 weeks missed games by Smith brings the Tribunal to the conclusion this was not at the lower end of carelessness.

It's the totality of the incident which ultimately settles the sanction to be imposed by the Tribunal.

Parker, having breached his duty of care when he engaged in the bump, accepts he accepts in cross examination he had alternative actions, which the Tribunal finds he did have that he could have taken rather than to bump.

Two video tendered documents tendered by defence we say are distinguishable from this incident and we place little weight on them.

The Tribunal is left with the unenviable task of assessing all the circumstances with this charge and matters put by both AFL Victoria and Parker’s legal team and have arrived at appropriate penalty of a six-match sanction.

Reasons for why exceptional and compelling circumstances argument failed:

Parker has a prior history, with some nine sanctions being imposed. We find he's not a player that qualifies as a verifiable example of exemplary disciplinary history. The Tribunal is not bound by this minimum penalty is at large to increase the penalty commensurate with this offence.

This would have contributed to the 6 weeks that was asked by the VFL, and ultimately the time he'll spend on the sidelines

"Josh Smith was knocked unconscious, suffered concussion, sustained multiple fractures to his eye socket and cheekbone and will undergo surgery when able.

He is expected to miss 6-8 weeks."
Hearing that it should have been 10. He deliberately lined him up.

The player who was injured wasn’t going to catch the ball carrier either he was no where near him so a shepherd wasn’t even needed.

Well.

You get 5 weeks for calling someone a bad name.

So.........

Not quite

You get 3 weeks for being an idiot with limited vocabulary & resorting to using a slur that wouldn't be accepted in the school playground now days - not hard to be better than that

At the time of Finlayson's suspension, the AFL said the next idiot to go the same path of stupidity will serve a longer suspension - didn't take long for the next idiot to come along, so don't feel sorry for them getting 5 weeks

If another player is stupid enough to use such slurs, I'd laugh if they spend 7 weeks on the sidelines - maybe the message will start getting through then

Seriously, is it really that hard to simply call your opponent a "****-wit" - you still get to make your point & no time on the sidelines

Not interested in the copy + paste spiel.
That's not close to Webster.

I would have been happy to see Webster spend longer on the sidelines for the way he lined up Simpkin

That doesn't mean this suspension is wrong though - it was a extremely poorly executed bump that's definitely left the opponent in a bad way. Happy to see this as 6 weeks on the sidelines

IF Reid decides to leave Eagles at some stage in the future, how much of it will be down to the media attention?

I know they love their shiny new “toy”, but surely there comes a point where it just becomes too much - I’m not suggesting he would be without attention had he been playing here in Vic, but feel like it would be a few notches down as the attention gets spread around a lot more out here

Well.

You get 5 weeks for calling someone a bad name.

So.........
It’s a workplace he’s lucky to have a job , in any case the rules are very clear in what’s expected of their code of conduct and that includes language

He isn’t the victim you’re making him out to be

This would have contributed to the 6 weeks that was asked by the VFL, and ultimately the time he'll spend on the sidelines

"Josh Smith was knocked unconscious, suffered concussion, sustained multiple fractures to his eye socket and cheekbone and will undergo surgery when able.

He is expected to miss 6-8 weeks."

Its long been my belief that the player should be suspended for the term of the victim's absence as a minimum, plus weeks for the intent.

In this case, at least 6 weeks PLUS a penalty for the intent. That'd communicate to the players that the AFL were serious about dirty play.

With all and sundry aware of the seriousness re: concussion I find it strange that a player can take out an opponent with a cowardly action but be allowed back into the playing group before his victim has recovered.

IF Reid decides to leave Eagles at some stage in the future, how much of it will be down to the media attention?

I know they love their shiny new “toy”, but surely there comes a point where it just becomes too much - I’m not suggesting he would be without attention had he been playing here in Vic, but feel like it would be a few notches down as the attention gets spread around a lot more out here

That's one of first reaction to Harley Mania!, it will go up some notches if they continue to win some games. Hope he has some good people around him.

That's one of first reaction to Harley Mania!, it will go up some notches if they continue to win some games. Hope he has some good people around him.

I'm pretty sure it's this isn't an exaggeration, but before he even debuted they were talking about how often he had been on the back cover of the WA papers and it was like 50+ times - that's just crazy

Totally agree that you'd hope he has some good people around him, but this is also where the club needs to step up & get the media to ease up and give the kid some space

I'm pretty sure it's this isn't an exaggeration, but before he even debuted they were talking about how often he had been on the back cover of the WA papers and it was like 50+ times - that's just crazy

Totally agree that you'd hope he has some good people around him, but this is also where the club needs to step up & get the media to ease up and give the kid some space
I've seen some player manias through the decades; Heisman winners who crumble when they hit the NFL, hugely talented NBA man-childs, even a local here who came back from MLB. The pressure of a being a pro amplified by expectations of being something special.
Sports media always hunts for content, and its even worse when its a potential messiah. The modern age of SM makes it even worse. It gets really disgusting when you get old enough to see through it and understand its a media machine driven thing.
In Harley's case, I hear WA is footy mad.....F it could get ugly; Everest heights to Marianas Trench depths if they get disappointed. Just look at this board and start multiplying. He'll need some outlets and a good culture there. Hmmmm, which club might have a healthy emphasis on happy work/life ratio he could turn to? :think:

I've seen some player manias through the decades; Heisman winners who crumble when they hit the NFL, hugely talented NBA man-childs, even a local here who came back from MLB. The pressure of a being a pro amplified by expectations of being something special.
Sports media always hunts for content, and its even worse when its a potential messiah. The modern age of SM makes it even worse. It gets really disgusting when you get old enough to see through it and understand its a media machine driven thing.
In Harley's case, I hear WA is footy mad.....F it could get ugly; Everest heights to Marianas Trench depths if they get disappointed. Just look at this board and start multiplying. He'll need some outlets and a good culture there. Hmmmm, which club might have a healthy emphasis on happy work/life ratio he could turn to? :think:
And if he leaves WCE he may never be able to go over to WA the poor kid really needs a good support group around him we all saw what happened to the last group of kids under this intense spotlight over there …at least Judd was smart enough to leave

From Tuggers Board:

"Here's a sad and sobering stat:

If you were to gather all Richmond Round 10 win-loss + percentage records from our very first season in 1908 until now, our Round 10 record in 2024 would rank last. Yep, in 116 years, we just witnessed our worst start to the season ever by seeing us go 1-9 with a percentage of 59.6%."

Sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Tuggers Board:

"Here's a sad and sobering stat:

If you were to gather all Richmond Round 10 win-loss + percentage records from our very first season in 1908 until now, our Round 10 record in 2024 would rank last. Yep, in 116 years, we just witnessed our worst start to the season ever by seeing us go 1-9 with a percentage of 59.6%."

Sad.
just shows how bad their injury status is.
Hate to see it.

The upside is they have a long tenured stable coach, a President and FO in for the long haul, the best youth coming thru and no expensive oft injured free agents just added to the list that will eat up SC going forward.

GO Catters

just shows how bad their injury status is.
Hate to see it.

The upside is they have a long tenured stable coach, a President and FO in for the long haul, the best youth coming thru and no expensive oft injured free agents just added to the list that will eat up SC going forward.

GO Catters

giphy.gif

It’s a workplace he’s lucky to have a job , in any case the rules are very clear in what’s expected of their code of conduct and that includes language

He isn’t the victim you’re making him out to be
It is a suspension beyond ridiculous.

But the real issue is the hypocrisy of the AFL, and most posters on here.

Not quite

You get 3 weeks for being an idiot with limited vocabulary & resorting to using a slur that wouldn't be accepted in the school playground now days - not hard to be better than that

At the time of Finlayson's suspension, the AFL said the next idiot to go the same path of stupidity will serve a longer suspension - didn't take long for the next idiot to come along, so don't feel sorry for them getting 5 weeks

If another player is stupid enough to use such slurs, I'd laugh if they spend 7 weeks on the sidelines - maybe the message will start getting through then

Seriously, is it really that hard to simply call your opponent a "heck-wit" - you still get to make your point & no time on the sidelines
So noble. :rolleyes:

Most workplaces would have you written up or dismissed so I can’t see the issue here it’s very clear what’s expected from the their behaviour

From David Zita -

Reasons for sanction:

From footage, it’s clear Smith was not in a position to impact the contest and did not expect the contact. Accordingly, Parker failed in his duty of care.

There's always potential to cause injury in the action of Parker. The reasonableness of the bump engaged in by Parker is the heart of the issue, which leads to the charge as accepted.

We weigh up the matters … the incident being off the ball, unforeseen by Smith, causing injuries likely to result in surgery and 10 weeks missed games by Smith brings the Tribunal to the conclusion this was not at the lower end of carelessness.

It's the totality of the incident which ultimately settles the sanction to be imposed by the Tribunal.

Parker, having breached his duty of care when he engaged in the bump, accepts he accepts in cross examination he had alternative actions, which the Tribunal finds he did have that he could have taken rather than to bump.

Two video tendered documents tendered by defence we say are distinguishable from this incident and we place little weight on them.

The Tribunal is left with the unenviable task of assessing all the circumstances with this charge and matters put by both AFL Victoria and Parker’s legal team and have arrived at appropriate penalty of a six-match sanction.

Reasons for why exceptional and compelling circumstances argument failed:

Parker has a prior history, with some nine sanctions being imposed. We find he's not a player that qualifies as a verifiable example of exemplary disciplinary history. The Tribunal is not bound by this minimum penalty is at large to increase the penalty commensurate with this offence.

So the only difference from what Parker did to what Zac Butters did was Meek got up played out the game.
Also Parker should have got more, the bloke knocked out is a chippy, so I hear, is Parker going to pay him while he is out of action? I presume he will need a few days off the tools.

Interesting you mention AFL hypocrisy. On a change of topic, has there been an investigation into the ground invader last week who made contact with Kolo? Especially considering the coverage the Collingwood fan who hugged the WC player got.

Interesting you mention AFL hypocrisy. On a change of topic, has there been an investigation into the ground invader last week who made contact with Kolo? Especially considering the coverage the Collingwood fan who hugged the WC player got.
Sadly as much as anything the AFL are beholden to their sponsors and funders - corporates and govts. They will push whichever narrative keeps them all happy and the money coming in.

It's been this way for a long time but now it is more evident.

If you think this is a totally cynical perspective it's certainly not. I'm happy to elaborate.

Last edited:
Most workplaces would have you written up or dismissed so I can’t see the issue here it’s very clear what’s expected from the their behaviour
Its either wrong or not, that is my point.

I think it's terrible to abuse someone for their same sex attraction, even though I think that SSA is at odds with both a theistic worldview, and an atheistic worldview.

I really don't think the 'work place' is relevant if we are talking ethical stands made by the AFL.

Should players be suspended for 5 weeks for calling someone a "****en dickhead"?

I don't think the AFL would look sideways.

But if you said that in the classroom, or Drs suite, or office, etc.

Well......

No consistency.

Every 3rd post on BF blasphemes and belittles Christians.

Full of hypocritical bigots this place.

Everyone just jumps on the next cause celebre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back