Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to laugh at the hypocrisy of the AFL. Gives Wright four weeks citing community standards dictates such a suspension yet that thug Maynard gets off in last years finals series ending the career of a player and there is nothing to see.

The AFL were always waiting for an easy target club to make their statement.

Seriously pathetic hypocrisy by the AFL.

Maynard created the community standards. AFL has got it right.

Well at least Melbourne United got the job done in Tasmania so we are back at the basketball on Sunday in Melbourne for the decider. At least Something positive happened tonight

Some of these alternate strips are head scratching. The Roos look like the Dogs and the Blues look like the Roos.

Perhaps the dogs are being folded into tas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo was interesting to watch yesterday.

- they try hard going for risky kicks, make mistakes but the one thing the team did wholeheartedly was run twice as hard to swarm the defense and help out. In Q4 sometimes the cavalry will arrive and outnumber the crows 4/5 to 2.

- Instead of waiting for opposition player to kick and try smother it, they literally pushed or crashed into ball carrier which I found as interesting tactic. It brought the skills down a peg and made it scrappy but it seems to suit Freo well.

- I found my answer on why big bodied, tall mids matter. When Young or Fyfe took possession they held the ball above their head which is fairly high for a normal size mid to reach and tackle. So most times the mids went for their bodies and all of Young, fyfe and even Jackson were releasing side flick handballs over their heads

- Matthew Johnson shouldn't be on backline. Turns over too easily and he should play in the middle or off the bench

- Sharp played well. When Nathan ODriscoll returns to the other wing they'll be a pretty good pair to settle around

- Jackson is too good as a ruck + extra mid. I wonder if they can figure out playing both Darcy and Jackson in the middle together.

Last edited:
Freo was interesting to watch yesterday.

- they try hard going for risky kicks, make mistakes but the one thing the team did wholeheartedly was run twice as hard to swarm the defense and help out. In Q4 sometimes the cavalry will arrive and outnumber the crows 4/5 to 2.

- I found my answer on why big bodied, tall mids matter. When Young or Fyfe took possession they held the ball above their head which is fairly high for a normal size mid to reach and tackle. So most times the mids went for their bodies and all of Young, fyfe and even Jackson were releasing side flick handballs over their heads

- Matthew Johnson shouldn't be on backline. Turns over too easily and he should play in the middle or off the bench

- Sharp played well. When Nathan ODriscoll returns to the other wing they'll be a pretty good pair to settle around

- Jackson is too good as a ruck + extra mid. I wonder if they can figure out playing both Darcy and Jackson in the middle together.
On Jackson, I was thinking the last few weeks watching Freo about how good Stef Martin was for us and then about if we had Martin or a type like him the last 3-4 years instead of Oscar how much we’d have been. I guess I’m saying is mobile rucks that are like mids really are worth their weight in gold.

On Jackson, I was thinking the last few weeks watching Freo about how good Stef Martin was for us and then about if we had Martin or a type like him the last 3-4 years instead of Oscar how much we’d have been. I guess I’m saying is mobile rucks that are like mids really are worth their weight in gold.
Agreed, in Jackson they have a tremendous asset who can burst away from packs and so hard to tackle.

If a gameplan gets figured out where Darcy taps to Jackson who's standing tall next to him but as a rover - it'll be a nightmare to play against.

Goes to show how hard interstate teams have it. We’ve used two of our home games already with only 9 left and here the Saints, like most Melbourne clubs, play away games at their home grounds. 🤷‍♂️

Goes to show how hard interstate teams have it. We’ve used two of our home games already with only 9 left and here the Saints, like most Melbourne clubs, play away games at their home grounds. 🤷‍♂️
You can argue their home ground advantage is also diminished in comparison to ours.

Swings and roundabouts.

You can argue their home ground advantage is also diminished in comparison to ours.

Swings and roundabouts.
And if you ever read a thread on the main board about the advanatages Vic clubs have / disadvantages of northern clubs / value of academies etc you will hear it mentioned ad nauseum by dwellers in said environs of privilage!

Swings and roundabouts.
You don’t think a team that gets to play 17 games on a particular ground in a year has more advantage than a team that plays 11.

You don’t think a team that gets to play 17 games on a particular ground in a year has more advantage than a team that plays 11.
I wasn't insinuating that. I think the big advantage is actually the lack of travel, more-so than the particular ground itself.

In the grand scheme of the entire AFL season, the lack of travel and being familiar with a ground you play so much at, is a far bigger advantage than our 11 home games.

Apologies if you thought I was suggesting that VIC teams have it hard, they certainly do not.

I wasn't insinuating that. I think the big advantage is actually the lack of travel, more-so than the particular ground itself.

In the grand scheme of the entire AFL season, the lack of travel and being familiar with a ground you play so much at, is a far bigger advantage than our 11 home games.

Apologies if you thought I was suggesting that VIC teams have it hard, they certainly do not.
Well and truly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back