Toast Non-replaying of injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

vikingpimp

Senior List
May 19, 2011
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We always like to bang on about how crap 7 and Fox are with their broadcasts (especially the commentary), but I noticed the absence of something during the Hawks v Cats match that had me for once singing their praises. Something that has always bugged me about serious injuries is the almost fetishistic and sadistic ways that the broadcasters have replayed them from every angle possible. Having missed the start of the second quarter, I came back to see that Impey had gone down, and didn't see a single replay after that fact. Granted, I may have missed a replay or two immediately after, but there wasn't the constant analysis and repeat showing of the incident. Sounded nasty, and I had no interest in seeing it - and I'm sure most would have no interest either - so praise where praise is due.

Has this been a relatively recent development, or have I just been blinkered due to it not happening much in Hawks matches of late?

It's something I've always found bizarre and a bit disrespectful to the player.

I don't enjoy seeing injuries, especially concussions, from every angle, at different speeds, multiple times. Then replayed on every news outlet and footy show.

If there is a nasty injury in the EPL they'll show it once so that the viewers know what happened but that's it - and it's all that's needed.

I don't mind "minor" injuries where they are replayed to see what happened. Did he roll his ankle in a tackle, step on a foot, was it something behind play etc etc?

I don't think their is any value in replaying leg breaks or ugly hyper-extensions

One or two replays is ok. The constant showing of them on the bench is bullshit. Yes we know they are injured, bad luck, show the f in game though. Example would be rance at the start of the year, reckon 2-3 minutes of live play wasn’t shown as we had to watch rance holding his knee on the pine and constant facial reactions.

I don't mind "minor" injuries where they are replayed to see what happened. Did he roll his ankle in a tackle, step on a foot, was it something behind play etc etc?

I don't think their is any value in replaying leg breaks or ugly hyper-extensions
I personally thought the continued replaying of Gary Lyons leg break on TFS by Sam Newman was hilarious

Now if they'd do the same with any slight bump/nudge that happens, it'd be great.

Let the MRP pick stuff out if they want to. Don't try and do their job for them during the broadcast.

MRP don't review matches according to what I heard. They review the incidents that are nominated to them and they are not entitled to add to that list based on any actual review of a match.

One or two replays is ok. The constant showing of them on the bench is bulls**t. Yes we know they are injured, bad luck, show the f in game though. Example would be rance at the start of the year, reckon 2-3 minutes of live play wasn’t shown as we had to watch rance holding his knee on the pine and constant facial reactions.
Yeah that annoys me too. It's almost like the broadcasters are "teasing" the player by continuosly showing them on the bench.

In a similar vein, I've noticed that Channel 7 LOVE to constantly focus on Buckley in the coaches box during the game. I watch every game and don't notice happen to any other coach as much Buckley during a FTA Collingwood game.

By the same tokon its nice to know what happened.
Yeah I was about to say that. Fine line between being voyeuristic and leaving everyone in the dark.

The AFL broadcast has always been shithouse with replays. They'll show an injury or a maybe-in-trouble bump 400 times, but good luck seeing that really contested pack mark from 5 minutes before when you went to grab another beer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott brothers were on ‘angry cam’ a lot

Hated how they showed Buckley immediately after the gf ended, as opposed to the winners coaching box.
Yeah that was some horribly editing. I get that you'd want a camera on it and all, it's a powerful moment. But show it later on in the washup or in the GF highlights package or something.

That said at the time I wasn't too bothered!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back