Noosa or Whitsunday's - Value for money

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Heya fellas,

Coming back to oz soon and me and the mrs trying to work out which one we are going to go to.

We're in Byron for a little bit for her sisters wedding celebration then go back to her sis's house in Brisbane for a couple of days.

From there we're trying to work out if we'll go to Noosa or Whitsundays, before heading to Melbourne and Sydney.

Never been to either so don't know which is a better destination but have heard nothing but good things about both places.

But another fact is cost. Being young, were naturally broke :( so travel costs i've worked out as:

Flying Brisbane to Whitsundays to Melbourne to Sydney: $532, however there's not much availability on the flight from Whitsundays to Melbourne. Could be gone soon and adds $100 onto the cost of the flight.

Drive to Noosa from Brisbane (free), then fly to Melbourne onto Sydney: $206.

Also worth nothing we're coming back to oz again towards the end of 2008 with her on a one-year visa so we could go upto whitsundays then with a bit more money saved.

Is the Whitsundays worth the extra $320??

Heya fellas,

Coming back to oz soon and me and the mrs trying to work out which one we are going to go to.

We're in Byron for a little bit for her sisters wedding celebration then go back to her sis's house in Brisbane for a couple of days.

From there we're trying to work out if we'll go to Noosa or Whitsundays, before heading to Melbourne and Sydney.

Never been to either so don't know which is a better destination but have heard nothing but good things about both places.

But another fact is cost. Being young, were naturally broke :( so travel costs i've worked out as:

Flying Brisbane to Whitsundays to Melbourne to Sydney: $532, however there's not much availability on the flight from Whitsundays to Melbourne. Could be gone soon and adds $100 onto the cost of the flight.

Drive to Noosa from Brisbane (free), then fly to Melbourne onto Sydney: $206.

Also worth nothing we're coming back to oz again towards the end of 2008 with her on a one-year visa so we could go upto whitsundays then with a bit more money saved.

Is the Whitsundays worth the extra $320??

You can rent a house for about $800 with a pool $6/650 pretty basic for a week at Sunshine Beach. If you go to the Island your talking 2K +. Plus the food cost a bomb.

Plus Prosepine is abot 40kms + from the coast

Also if you drive out of Noosa back to Bris airport 1 hour you should be able to get a flight to Syd/Melb for $100

Whitsundays>>>>>>>>Noosa. Spent last weekend at the Sunny Coast for end of season footy trip, was good, but better up north I'd say. Although as said, Whitsundays is expensive.

Another option is Mission Beach or Port Douglas, you can still get the Island Reef thing without the cost. Plus Flights to Cairns/Townsville can be much Cheaper than Prosepine

I am actually contemplating a holiday to Noosa soon. Can someone please tell me when the seasons i.e Peak, off peak etc. run?

Thanks

Whitsundays a million times over, you can stay at a backpackers or caravan park if on a budget, or up a bit to an on site cabin or up as far as 5 star hotels, all at Airlie Beach. Some great day outs from there, boat trips etc. Staying on any of the islands though is a major major rip off, may look cheap on the surface for flights and accom but once you are on the island the activities cost so much more and foregt buying a bottle of wine with dinner!!

You can visit some of the resorts on a day pass if you want to but I would seriously recoomend staying at Airlie and doing trips out. A day out on a boat with snorkelling lunch and afternoon tea with a bush walk on Whistsunday Island and a tour along Whitehaven Beach was about $70 when I went about 4 years ago - was a great day out. You can go quad biking in the hinterland, some neautiful waterfalls and swimming holes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitsundays a million times over, you can stay at a backpackers or caravan park if on a budget, or up a bit to an on site cabin or up as far as 5 star hotels, all at Airlie Beach. Some great day outs from there, boat trips etc. Staying on any of the islands though is a major major rip off, may look cheap on the surface for flights and accom but once you are on the island the activities cost so much more and foregt buying a bottle of wine with dinner!!

You can visit some of the resorts on a day pass if you want to but I would seriously recoomend staying at Airlie and doing trips out. A day out on a boat with snorkelling lunch and afternoon tea with a bush walk on Whistsunday Island and a tour along Whitehaven Beach was about $70 when I went about 4 years ago - was a great day out. You can go quad biking in the hinterland, some neautiful waterfalls and swimming holes.

Some of the resorts are all inclusive, like brampton. The food is excellent, all inclusive 3 meals a day.Lots of things to do and see. You pay for alcohol and the day spa stuff.

Some of the resorts are all inclusive, like brampton. The food is excellent, all inclusive 3 meals a day.Lots of things to do and see. You pay for alcohol and the day spa stuff.

I looked at taking my Gf (English) to the Whitsundays when we visited in APril. I just couldn't justify it. Places like Brampton, Dunk, Hayman etc were around $1500 ea + flights for 3-5 days...that's £1200.

I looked at taking my Gf (English) to the Whitsundays when we visited in APril. I just couldn't justify it. Places like Brampton, Dunk, Hayman etc were around $1500 ea + flights for 3-5 days...that's £1200.

If you go to Mission Beach, Dunk? is 15 mnutes away by boat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back