2nds Northern Blues 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Charlie today. Hard to tell but walking around without issue. Funny seeing Ed riding old 10 speed bike with baby in back and both wearing bright blue helmets. He stopped and chatted to a few people whilst doing laps. Every time he stopped baby kept telling him to keep going. Must be hereditary. Very funny
expression on baby's face?

Player Summaries

Goddard: Was very impressive in one on one contests. Was able to get a spoil on pretty much everything. Comprehensively beat his opponent, however, in saying that, the conditions would have helped because it wasn't a great day to be a forward. He did drop a few marks that I would expect him to take. He's definitely worth persisting with. His decision making is relatively sound, just needs to improve his marking, kicking and running. Hopefully continuity will allow him to take his game to the next level.

JSOS: He was very good all day. His skills look a class above when playing VFL. I can see him developing into a similar player to Setterfield. Mid/forward utility appears to be his best position. His attack on the ball and defensive pressure was second to none. Was always throwing his body around and physical in the contest.

O'brien: He was playing wing but the problem was the ball was often on the opposite side of the ground. There's clearly a team structure that makes him hold his position for the switch, so if the ball doesn't switch to the other side of the ground, there's nothing he can do about it. I noticed there were a couple of quarters where he'd be on the ground for 10 mins or so and he and his opponent would have to ball watch as the play was stuck on the opposite boundary.

Despite these limitations, his performance really impressed me today because the possessions he did get were predominately in the contest. They weren't pretty possessions by any means, but he showed he was willing to put his body on the line when it was his turn to go. He wasn't able to damage the opposition by foot today, but I feel that he's progressing his game to a new level with the amount of ball he won in congestion. His progress and development is very promising.

Fasolo: Defensive pressure was excellent. Looks like the message to Fasolo was if you want to play in the 1's, you need to tackle and pressure. He certainly did that today. He was never going to kick a bag today because the conditions weren't conducive to high scoring. The ball was often kicked on top of his head, competing with a larger opponent in the air. He was able to half contests that he was never going to win, as well as pressure the kicker as the ball transitioned out of our forward line.

Schumacher: Was very good defensively. Is showing good signs for a second year player.

TDK: Started well but went off the ground after receiving a big knock.

Sam Fisher should be given our last spot on the list. He's clean in the contest and knows how to find his own ball. I'm not sure why we're overlooking him. Maybe we're concerned about his speed or agility? I don't have access to that data but he certainly passes the eye test.

I went there wanting to track the progress of Goddard, JSOS, O'brien, Fasolo and TDK. Tried to track a limited number of players as comprehensively as as I could.

Feel free to ask further questions on other players. I might not be able to help but I might have some tidbits for Carlton supporters.
That's a really encouraging report on Fasolo's defensive pressure Eiffel, bringing that pressure along with his natural goal scoring talent adds an exciting dynamic to our forward structure. couple of questions where did he play in forward half deep, further up the ground, both? did he cover much ground through he's pressure acts, with chasing down players run down tackles Cheers

He was quiet today. Applied pressure around the contest. Wasn't the best day for him to get involved. Ball movement from both sides wasn't great for forwards.

What I did notice was that he's agile for his size and got a bit of zip about him.

His contested game will develop in time, but I reckon he'll build his game around his running. Has the ability to create separation between him and his opponent.

Will take time to develop as all talls do, but he has definitely got AFL traits.
I really think he could develop into a player like Adelaides Lynch that plays the lead up link man role, been impressed with what I’ve seen so far.

No issue. I know how I appreciate reports when I can't make it. Only opinions ;)

This is what most on here are really about. The Blues
Thing is Soapy your opinions have no hyper critical agendas and are always well grounded. At least thats what my instinct tells me. Great stuff.

ps to all.....not saying everyone has an agenda, ok.....just making an observation

That's a really encouraging report on Fasolo's defensive pressure Eiffel, bringing that pressure along with his natural goal scoring talent adds an exciting dynamic to our forward structure. couple of questions where did he play in forward half deep, further up the ground, both? did he cover much ground through he's pressure acts, with chasing down players run down tackles Cheers

A bit of both. At stages he was pushing a fair way up the ground, especially in the first half. I'm sure this was orchestrated by our fitness department to get miles into his legs before round 1. He also played as the deepest forward at times, presenting as a marking target.

There wasn't a lot of space to lead into today as the game was scrappy and it actually rained for half the game.

He did have a chase down tackle in the forward pocket. He only had to make up like 5m or so but he was in the area and committed to making an impact. The guy still got the kick away but he definitely impacted the kick.

A lot of his tackles were applied when the ball was locked in the forward half and he was near the drop of the ball and just going hard at the contest. He was doing what he could to keep the ball locked in our forward half.

It wasn't a day for big chase down tackles because the ball wasn't freely moving across the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please excuse grammar spelling but typing on phone without glasses
emoji16.png

Volunteers to bring the great man a desk and pc with 28 inch screen for next week

A bit of both. At stages he was pushing a fair way up the ground, especially in the first half. I'm sure this was orchestrated by our fitness department to get miles into his legs before round 1. He also played as the deepest forward at times, presenting as a marking target.

There wasn't a lot of space to lead into today as the game was scrappy and it actually rained for half the game.

He did have a chase down tackle in the forward pocket. He only had to make up like 5m or so but he was in the area and committed to making an impact. The guy still got the kick away but he definitely impacted the kick.

A lot of his tackles were applied when the ball was locked in the forward half and he was near the drop of the ball and just going hard at the contest. He was doing what he could to keep the ball locked in our forward half.

It wasn't a day for big chase down tackles because the ball wasn't freely moving across the ground.
Appreciate the feed back👍

Thing is Soapy your opinions have no hyper critical agendas and are always well grounded. At least thats what my instinct tells me. Great stuff.

ps to all.....not saying everyone has an agenda, ok.....just making an observation

Cheers B&B. That's how I do it. No agendas. I'm opinionated with a very dry sense of humour but it's always about talking and discussing the Blues. Nothing more, nothing less :thumbsu:

Thanks for the reports all much appreciated. I wondered why the game was so low scoring as I went into the basketball with my son at quarter time and saw there were 2 goals each on the board. Came out to blazing sunshine and thought it must have been very defensive.
Think I would have preferred to watch the football, all the razzmatazz and showboating of basketball does my head in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back