NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

EFL Special General Meeting - 25th September
Berwick want to join EFL.

Well it seems Berwick wants the EFL but does the EFL want Berwick.I am sure the EFL's wish list is to have 5 divisions of 10 but if they come in what division should they be in.The are on top of the ladder in the Outer East Premier competition so can not start in D4 and no way will they be in the EFL premier grade.Seems like D1 or D2 but that means 11 teams in D1 or 9 in D2.Would you go the bye and re structure in 2021.I am sure this will be in the discussion on the night and further rumours that other clubs might follow at a later date.Interesting times ahead for EFL footy and even more in the Outer East competition.

Division 1 & Knox stay up if Berwick get the vote.

You only had to ask G.

So are you the person to ask,lol. I like your answer as how stiff are Knox in being relegated after finishing bottom with 6 wins.So 2020 we have a 12 team D1 and only a 7 team D2.Does this mean the grand final teams in D3 and D4 this season would be promoted or no one is relegated or am I getting ahead of myself.And then what happens 2021,surely the EFL would look at a 10,10,10,8 and 8 division structure.

Last edited:
Last edited:
You would have to think that the clubs would have to know all the promotion and relegation details before voting on Sept 25th.

I heard this a year and a half ago.
The whisper is, there are a couple of other clubs interested as well.

https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/sport/2019-09-05/outer-east-powerhouse-wants-out/

They would need to have U19's already and not on a promise like Balwyn.
If they are admitted there will be a lot of interest from other clubs in the following years.

I think Cliff the requirement that you have to have U19's went out the window a long time ago.U19's will be graded like this season,worked fairly well for a number of clubs and has helped them get a side on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Beaconsfield. Though they are unhappy in the AFL Outer East comp they are planning on going back to West Gippy.
https://berwick.starcommunity.com.a...me-changing-proposal-for-the-local-landscape/
Wouldn't be surprised at Dingley making a bid if Berwick get in.

No chance Beacy go into WG, that article is just a blue sky thought piece.

Clubs in Gippsland are sick of endless change and want some stability.

The other thing the subject of that article mentions is how they see themselves as a country footy club.

But he talks about creating a 3-division country league. Basically a metro league in the country 🙄

These clubs need to get over that thinking, they’ve been suburbs for decades. Not only are they suburbs, they’re some of the biggest suburbs in Melbourne.

The Berwick president is spot on when he says Berwick has a population of 50k, they long ago outgrew country footy. He has the right approach.

Word on Narre is they’re not looking for a move any time soon, somebody on that board mentioned they’d put a lot of their own funds into their new facilities and want to stabilise financially. Sensible move if so.

The other thing these clubs will have to plan for is new senior clubs which will mean they won’t be able to rely on multiple different junior clubs feeding them an endless supply of players. Berwick Springs is on the way and there’s been talk of Narre North / Narre South for years.

Anyway what a silly situation the whole south / south-east has become.

MPNFL fiercely resist going to 3 divisions

SEFL clubs leave MPNFL

Many MPNFL resist going to two divisions. They finally relent but many (south of Frankston) still not happy and want their own Peninsula league

MPNFL now actively trying to poach SFL clubs to make a third division again

Silly merger of SEFL and YVMDFL, hugely mismatched, massive suburbs against tiny country towns

Now clubs want out of that

Meanwhile SFL has problems of its own on other fronts with clubs stuggling for numbers around Dandenong and others like Sandown and Mount Waverley going into recess. They have a 6 team division now ffs

I mean seriously, what are AFL Vic there for, it’s plain as day there needs to be a review of the entire south east, it’s grown enormously in the last 30 years and footy hasn’t moved with it. Instead there’s all these isolated, short term moves of clubs and leagues that just cause other moves down the track.

Surely they need a proper country league south of Frankston for the genuine Peninsula clubs, and everybody else (MPNFL, SFL, old SEFL) should be in one big league similar to the EFL, who have it right with a big area and more divisions so that everybody can be as competitive as possible.

Instead there’s clubs moving between the three leagues (plus ammos) because we don’t want to play there and this isn’t the right level for us. And now it’s spread to the YVMDFL which has been wrecked as a result. Now it’s spreading further and clubs want to join the EFL.

FFS do it once, do it properly and make a proper league to cater for them all

End rant!

GF selections:
As soon as Richmond won, I wanted them to win the GF. I just couldn't bring myself to support either GWS or Collingwood.
Tom Lynch most goals.
Toby Green for Norm. He might be a cement head but he is a competitive beast who had a good rest last week.

Did they make the final Berwick vote numbers public? I heard it was heavily rejected.

I heard from a “reliable source” that the overall vote was close however that included all the board votes, which were for Berwick joining. The sticking points were that Berwick going into D1 would mean 12 teams meaning they didn’t all play each other twice, and that the D2 clubs weren’t in favour of Berwick joining D2 even though the EFL and Berwick were prepared to go that route.

Also heard a whisper that a certain very successful Premier division club was dead set against it, “look at the size of Berwick” was the comment.......

I heard from a “reliable source” that the overall vote was close however that included all the board votes, which were for Berwick joining. The sticking points were that Berwick going into D1 would mean 12 teams meaning they didn’t all play each other twice, and that the D2 clubs weren’t in favour of Berwick joining D2 even though the EFL and Berwick were prepared to go that route.

Also heard a whisper that a certain very successful Premier division club was dead set against it, “look at the size of Berwick” was the comment.......
I say bring them in . Makes our league even stronger .

Vermont?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you go to the EFL's website, you'd think that it never happened. Nothing about the meeting at all. Secret EFL business?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back