NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Any truth to the rumour that Beaconsfield have submitted a request to join Eastern. I know that Narre Warren and Cranbourne have applied to join the Mpnfl. Narre will certainly get knocked back as it requires a 75% vote and most Mpnfl clubs are strongly against clubs joining not in there geographic area

Just not sure in these uncertain times that EFNL clubs would welcome new sides in for 2022.The biggest concern as far I am concerned is D4 with Coldstream dominating it and a even bigger concern is the bottom 3 sides in Kilysth,Nunawading and North Croydon.With no promotion or relegation in 2021(or is there) perhaps Coldstream should be promoted to D3.Would leave 11,10,8,10 and 7 team grades which is not ideal but 2023 perhaps you could look at bringing Beaconsfield in.Again if you bring them into Premier means the D1 premier will not be promoted and I think Park Orchards are not far off playing premier.48 teams perhaps 2023 would make it 10,10,10,10 and 8 team grades, perhaps.

Any truth to the rumour that Beaconsfield have submitted a request to join Eastern. I know that Narre Warren and Cranbourne have applied to join the Mpnfl. Narre will certainly get knocked back as it requires a 75% vote and most Mpnfl clubs are strongly against clubs joining not in there geographic area

Not sure if official “submission” but it needs to go to the clubs and certainly hasn’t yet. They need to be voted in (not sure what the % hurdle is). I’d be surprised if it could happen for 2022. 2023 perhaps.

Narre has been raised in the past, apparently netball is the big stumbling block.

Not sure if official “submission” but it needs to go to the clubs and certainly hasn’t yet. They need to be voted in (not sure what the % hurdle is). I’d be surprised if it could happen for 2022. 2023 perhaps.

Narre has been raised in the past, apparently netball is the big stumbling block.
In what way? They have a large Netball club. Travel?

In what way? They have a large Netball club. Travel?

“Country” leagues play their netball on Saturday arvos alongside the footy and many value it very highly. Metro leagues like the EFL don’t have this. They’ve started netball comps but they’re on Friday night.

For some clubs the netball contingent is as big as the football and they’d view splitting them up as a major issue.

Can make it hard for any country club (even though these are far from country clubs any more) to move to a metro comp, especially when the netballers have the same voting rights as the rest of the club.

Pretty much every country footy ground you go to will have netball courts too… few in the city do.

“Country” leagues play their netball on Saturday arvos alongside the footy and many value it very highly. Metro leagues like the EFL don’t have this. They’ve started netball comps but they’re on Friday night.

For some clubs the netball contingent is as big as the football and they’d view splitting them up as a major issue.

Can make it hard for any country club (even though these are far from country clubs any more) to move to a metro comp, especially when the netballers have the same voting rights as the rest of the club.

Pretty much every country footy ground you go to will have netball courts too… few in the city do.
Berwick are in the same situation, except that hasn't stopped them. Berwick, Narre Warren and Beaconsfield are all currently playing in the AFLOE Netball competition. Berwick don't have any teams in the EFNL competition. If the Berwick netball team can still play in that comp and the footy team in the EFNL, how would that prevent Narre and Beaconsfield from doing the same.

Berwick are in the same situation, except that hasn't stopped them. Berwick, Narre Warren and Beaconsfield are all currently playing in the AFLOE Netball competition. Berwick don't have any teams in the EFNL competition. If the Berwick netball team can still play in that comp and the footy team in the EFNL, how would that prevent Narre and Beaconsfield from doing the same.

As I understand it, the Berwick Football and Netball clubs are actually separate entities and thus both were able to do as they pleased. The footy club wanted to move so they did, the netball club had no say in it. I think Beaconsfield might be the same.

Narre is Narre Warren Football Netball Club... a single entity, so more complicated. The netballers have as much a say in things as the football side.

Every single Mpnfl club has netball courts next to the footy oval and all field 4/5 teams playing on the Saturday. It’s one of the reasons why they have such big crowds and benefits clubs financially

Just not sure in these uncertain times that EFNL clubs would welcome new sides in for 2022.The biggest concern as far I am concerned is D4 with Coldstream dominating it and a even bigger concern is the bottom 3 sides in Kilysth,Nunawading and North Croydon.With no promotion or relegation in 2021(or is there) perhaps Coldstream should be promoted to D3.Would leave 11,10,8,10 and 7 team grades which is not ideal but 2023 perhaps you could look at bringing Beaconsfield in.Again if you bring them into Premier means the D1 premier will not be promoted and I think Park Orchards are not far off playing premier.48 teams perhaps 2023 would make it 10,10,10,10 and 8 team grades, perhaps.
Coldstream seniors are dominant, but the rest of the sides are no good. You would think Surrey has a better case to be promoted. Seniors competetive, reserves dominant, 19s in premier

Meeting tonight to consider what the rest of the season may look like. League & clubs.

The AFL talking about scrapping the bye round and having the AFL grand final on the 18th September does not make it any easier in planning and if that did happen what would happen to the public holiday on Friday 24th September.Just about over this footy season,to many hurdles in the road to continue but you never know and look forward to the results from the meeting.

No more home and away season. Looking at going straight into finals, if extends further week go straight to grand final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best possible we get out next Thurs (that’s not even a given) so no way they’ll play next Saturday. That leaves four Saturdays until the 18th Sept, absolute best case. Relies on getting out on time and no more lockdowns, which in itself is a big leap.

I reckon we’re a chance to sneak in two weeks of footy and you can’t really plan any more. Surely H&A season is done, unfortunately.

Two weeks of finals and that’s all she wrote.

One left-field option is to only take into account results as though each team has only played each other once. If teams have played each other twice, those games are only worth two points. That’s the only way I can think to retrospectively make it somewhat fair. Don’t know if or how it’d change the ladders.

Best possible we get out next Thurs (that’s not even a given) so no way they’ll play next Saturday. That leaves four Saturdays until the 18th Sept, absolute best case. Relies on getting out on time and no more lockdowns, which in itself is a big leap.

I reckon we’re a chance to sneak in two weeks of footy and you can’t really plan any more. Surely H&A season is done, unfortunately.

Two weeks of finals and that’s all she wrote.

One left-field option is to only take into account results as though each team has only played each other once. If teams have played each other twice, those games are only worth two points. That’s the only way I can think to retrospectively make it somewhat fair. Don’t know if or how it’d change the ladders.
From what I’ve heard in Div 1 is they are reverting to a 3 week top 6 finals beginning on the 28th August with the grand final on September 11th. If they can’t play on the 28th then it will move to to a two week top 4 finals.

Sounds like the H&A season is definitely done for the year though.

All divisions the same scenario I heard

And if we arent open up for the final 6 or 4 it will simply be a top 2 grand final

Why would it be Premier. Berwick haven't exactly set the League on fire and might have been better in Div 1. That might also be a better fit for Beaconsfield.
In fact that might be a better Policy for the EFNL. Anyone who wants to join cannot start any higher than Div 1.

Last edited:
From what I’ve heard in Div 1 is they are reverting to a 3 week top 6 finals beginning on the 28th August with the grand final on September 11th. If they can’t play on the 28th then it will move to to a two week top 4 finals.

Sounds like the H&A season is definitely done for the year though.

Be very lucky to get three weeks in I reckon but fingers crossed.

Why would it be Premier. Berwick haven't exactly set the League on fire and might have been better in Div 1. That might also be a better fit for Beaconsfield.
In fact that might be a better Policy for the EFNL. Anyone who wants to join cannot start any higher than Div 1.

The mail was off… Beaconsfield have applied to enter the MPNFL.

Having said that, there is zero chance the MPNFL will have them so who knows where they go. What a mess the merger with YVMDFL has been.

On admitting new clubs, reckon you’re better to err on the side on putting them in too high. Premier is usually best if you’re unsure. If they’re too weak for a year, who cares. But if you put them in lower and they’re too strong and walk in for a flag, it ruins a whole season for that division.

Though have to wonder how far the appetite for expansion lasts. It’s to the clubs’ credit that they’ve always been fairly open to new clubs, but does that last forever. In 20 years there’s been Noble, Balwyn, Berwick and Park Orchards, and you’d think in not too long they’ll all be in Premier. That’s four spots of ten the long-standing clubs don’t have in Premier. Even South Belgrave appear to be marching up the divisions. Beaconsfield too? Does it just continue forever?

The mail was off… Beaconsfield have applied to enter the MPNFL.

Having said that, there is zero chance the MPNFL will have them so who knows where they go. What a mess the merger with YVMDFL has been.

On admitting new clubs, reckon you’re better to err on the side on putting them in too high. Premier is usually best if you’re unsure. If they’re too weak for a year, who cares. But if you put them in lower and they’re too strong and walk in for a flag, it ruins a whole season for that division.

Though have to wonder how far the appetite for expansion lasts. It’s to the clubs’ credit that they’ve always been fairly open to new clubs, but does that last forever. In 20 years there’s been Noble, Balwyn, Berwick and Park Orchards, and you’d think in not too long they’ll all be in Premier. That’s four spots of ten the long-standing clubs don’t have in Premier. Even South Belgrave appear to be marching up the divisions. Beaconsfield too? Does it just continue forever?
They were in the MPFL about 20 years ago and have only been in Outer Eastern for 3 years. They seem to have swapped Leagues pretty regularly over the years.

They were in the MPFL about 20 years ago and have only been in Outer Eastern for 3 years. They seem to have swapped Leagues pretty regularly over the years.

All of those clubs are lost mate. Most were originally in South West Gippsland, then moved to MPNFL which didn’t work. Then started the SEFNL that didn’t work. Now are in the OE and that hasn’t worked. Now back to the MPNFL? No way they’ll have them.

They were “country“ clubs that long ago became suburban clubs. It’s been the biggest growth corridor in Vic for 20+ years and still AFL Vic haven’t stepped in and sorted it all out. They belong in the Southern league.

Kudos to Berwick for getting on with life and making a permanent move in their own long term interests.

I haven't been in this camp all year but with today's news I think now is the the time to put a line through it all. Perhaps the best we can hope for is a 1 vs 2 Grand Final.

But really, is that even worth it? How valid is a one-off GF with the players coming straight off a break of up to two months? It'd be a joke.

It's a shame, but I think we're done for 2021. No premierships, promotion or relegation unfortunately. At least we all got a few enjoyable Saturdays in. Go again in 2022. Who knows, by then we might've cracked 30% vaccination!

I haven't been in this camp all year but with today's news I think now is the the time to put a line through it all. Perhaps the best we can hope for is a 1 vs 2 Grand Final.

But really, is that even worth it? How valid is a one-off GF with the players coming straight off a break of up to two months? It'd be a joke.

It's a shame, but I think we're done for 2021. No premierships, promotion or relegation unfortunately. At least we all got a few enjoyable Saturdays in. Go again in 2022. Who knows, by then we might've cracked 30% vaccination!
They said in the adjustment announcement they will play the grand finals up to the end of September.

They said in the adjustment announcement they will play the grand finals up to the end of September.

After a huge break off half a season and no finals series?

Honestly, for the sake of two teams playing one game, what's the point? Ridiculous to award a premiership imho.

I don't see the point in playing after a long break as well.

Could they just award premierships to the team who was on top of the ladder for the longest time of the season instead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back