NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it's coming up. On the other side of Easter on the 14th the EFNL and other Metro Comps will decide on whether play will start on May 2nd.
What do you think will happen?

Well it's coming up. On the other side of Easter on the 14th the EFNL and other Metro Comps will decide on whether play will start on May 2nd.

1 Start 30th May,play 18 rounds and finals in October.With only a small number of cricket venues being used for finals a cricket fixture could be worked out.
2 Play 9 rounds start 4th July,finals in September.
3 Play juniors only starting Aug/Sept.(If footy can not start till Aug)
4 Call the season off.Clubs currently in debt or borderline if a season starts most likely could end up further in debt with sponsors un likely to support due to their financial worries.BUT if players are willing to take a pay cut or admin/council fees are reduced perhaps this could get over this issue.Eg Nunawading which you have mentioned in a previous post.

BUT if every one follows the guidelines "Stay at Home" we might get a footy season yet but a long way to go before we can say we have the Corona virus beaten.

I am missing footy as much as any one and lets hope this Corona virus ends earlier and not later.

PS And we have a flag to unfurl at Mitcham,new rooms to be opened and they look great.

As a

As a follow up to my previous post I would recommend you watch ABC TV 10.00AM AEST on Sunday.The effects COVID-19 will have on community sport.Might be worth a look at and nothing much else to do if we are stuck at home.

Let's hope something positive happens. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually getting tired of watching the "89" Grand Final.

Last edited:
Let's hope something positive happens. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually getting tired of watching the "89" Grand Final.

I hope a few of you watched the Offsiders on ABC2 this morning at 10.00AM with some very good points made.The key one for me is our juniors and why I think we should get our juniors on the park as even as late as Aug and play 2 months if possible.The biggest fear for me is no junior sport over the winter months how many of these kids will be lost to footy and other sports in the future.

Last edited:
I hope a few of you watched the Insiders on ABC2 this morning at 10.00AM with some very good points made.The key one for me is our juniors and why I think we should get our juniors on the park as even as late as Aug and play 2 months if possible.The biggest fear for me is no junior sport over the winter months how many of these kids will we lost to footy and other sports in the future.
Let's just hope the kids are really missing these outdoor sports and can't wait to participate again .time will tell I suppose ??

Let's just hope the kids are really missing these outdoor sports and can't wait to participate again .time will tell I suppose ??

And more bad news with Daniel Andrew's announcement that we will remain in lock down till mid May and you would think little hope of senior local footy this season.Some key points out of that Offsider program was the importance of clubs using social media to support their sponsors which I am pleased to see a few clubs are doing.If you can watch this program I would recommend.Some goods PE programs on social media at the moment to help the kids and lets hope they are watching and doing the programs.

Last edited:
And more bad news with Daniel Andrew's announcement that we will remain in lock down till mid May and you would think little hope of senior local footy this season.Some key points out of that Insider program was the importance of clubs using social media to support their sponsors which I am pleased to see a few clubs are doing.If you can watch this program I would recommend.Some goods PE programs on social media at the moment to help the kids and lets hope they are watching and doing the programs.
Yes that has made it most unlikely.

I hope a few of you watched the Insiders on ABC2 this morning at 10.00AM with some very good points made.The key one for me is our juniors and why I think we should get our juniors on the park as even as late as Aug and play 2 months if possible.The biggest fear for me is no junior sport over the winter months how many of these kids will we lost to footy and other sports in the future.
Did you mean "Offsiders?"

I loved the kitchen rock climbing video they had. Are you doing that at home to keep fit GMac?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just in case you missed it.

Myself, I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

1 Start 30th May,play 18 rounds and finals in October.With only a small number of cricket venues being used for finals a cricket fixture could be worked out.
4 Call the season off.Clubs currently in debt or borderline if a season starts most likely could end up further in debt with sponsors un likely to support due to their financial worries.BUT if players are willing to take a pay cut or admin/council fees are reduced perhaps this could get over this issue.Eg Nunawading which you have mentioned in a previous post.

BUT if every one follows the guidelines "Stay at Home" we might get a footy season yet but a long way to go before we can say we have the Corona virus beaten.

I am missing footy as much as any one and lets hope this Corona virus ends earlier and not later.

PS And we have a flag to unfurl at Mitcham,new rooms to be opened and they look great.

I am hoping for Option 2

Now option 3 for me.20 of the 45 EDFNL clubs have voted to scrap the season but another decision to be made at the end of the lock down on 11th May.Say only half the clubs play what a shambles the competition would be.If they want a competition players will have to play for nothing and I am sure that would not happen(Look at the VAFA) For our clubs to survive they would be better off not playing,if they did they run the risk of getting into debt and it is not worth that risk.We want all our clubs to survive.

Apparently 44% of clubs want season cancelled.. bit disappointing

Important to look at the big picture and what income will the clubs get from their sponsors. For example we have Vermont,Noble Park and East Ringwood that rely on money from hotel/poker machine venues and as we all know now closed and who knows for how long.Would think most small business sponsors would also be struggling.Lack of sponsors is going to hurt all clubs and we are all disappointed if no footy season but at this stage common sense says do not play for the clubs future survival.

So a 50% reduction in the salary cap when we don’t even know what the cards are at this point.

The SFL club that lost the $4k sponsor set it aside for ground hire. Just how many times are they likely to use the ground in 2020? Possibly none, surely the council cannot charge in such a circumstance.

The article even states league are waiting in regards to affiliate fees to see what transpires. Not sure why there is a stampede to reduce caps without any clear data at this point.
Bobby, 84% of EFNL clubs are supportive of lower player payment caps for season 2020, 2021 and 2022

84% means that 5 clubs aren't in favour of reducing the salary cap. I can think of 2 really good possibilities off the top of my head.
I wonder who the other 3 teams are?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back