NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Went past Blackburn again, still bugger all progress in the 6 weeks since I last had a look. Blackburn will be lucky if it's finished before the 2021 season. Blackburn s New Rooms.jpg

Last edited:
Went past Blackburn again, still bugger all progress in the 6 weeks since I last had a look. Blackburn will be lucky if it's finished before the 2021 season.View attachment 921128

With Blackburn they have had many issues delaying the progress of the building works.The latest one a few weeks back was drainage problems from the ground caused by the building works so that issue had to be sorted out.Early stages of any building works it looks like nothing is happening but plenty of work being done with foundations etc.Mitcham was the same early days where there would be 5 or 6 guys working there all day but you could not see any progress made.Really feel for the club though as the works were supposed to start Feb 2019 and finish Feb 2020.I think cricket (if played of cause) can get by with out completed rooms and lets hope new rooms completed for the start of the 2021 footy season.PS Have heard new rooms for Coldstream as well and a few grounds in the EFNL with improved ground lights like East Burwood,Whitehorse have.Mitcham,Coldstream and I think Vermont will also have and will make suitable for night footy.

With Blackburn they have had many issues delaying the progress of the building works.The latest one a few weeks back was drainage problems from the ground caused by the building works so that issue had to be sorted out.Early stages of any building works it looks like nothing is happening but plenty of work being done with foundations etc.Mitcham was the same early days where there would be 5 or 6 guys working there all day but you could not see any progress made.Really feel for the club though as the works were supposed to start Feb 2019 and finish Feb 2020.I think cricket (if played of cause) can get by with out completed rooms and lets hope new rooms completed for the start of the 2021 footy season.PS Have heard new rooms for Coldstream as well and a few grounds in the EFNL with improved ground lights like East Burwood,Whitehorse have.Mitcham,Coldstream and I think Vermont will also have and will make suitable for night footy.

if AFLW continues to grow I think grounds will start needing to host more night games to accommodate.
Could we s a Saturday that has
Women’s U18/19
Women’s seniors
Men’s U18/19
Ressies
Seniors

At Yarra Glen we had 18s, a women’s game, ressies and seniors on the same day for a Pride Cup.
Can’t remember what time we finished but it was definitely dark!

Doncaster new lights are up be good to train where you play now .

if AFLW continues to grow I think grounds will start needing to host more night games to accommodate.
Women’s U18/19
Women’s seniors
Men’s U18/19
Ressies
Seniors

At Yarra Glen we had 18s, a women’s game, ressies and seniors on the same day for a Pride Cup.
The Whitehorse council have a limit of 2 nights per week and the lights have to be turned off at 9-30.
Training sessions have to finish at 9pm. Strangely skate parks can have their lights on till 10pm.
Draft policies for Whitehorse are here.
https://oursay.org/whitehorsecitycouncil/floodlightingpolicy
I can see night games enabling much greater use of grounds, more than likely there will be night cricket games as well.

Women’s U18/19
Women’s seniors
Men’s U18/19
Ressies
Seniors

South Belgrave had the women play on the Saturday with the men for all their home fixtures, was usually Under 19, Reserves, Men & Women finished the day off Under light. Except for against FTG where the women played before the senior men
Worked really well, meant there was a decent crowd for the womens games & saved the volunteers
Also means there is a good mix of male, female & kids around the place for the majority of the day/night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I read Mulgrave have a redevelopment (it’s Daniel Andrews seat) coming though not sure when. Not sure about lights but they do have a huge space, I’ve seen three games of cricket being played there at once (main ground plus two others to the right).

Some clubs are very lucky if the women’s teams keep growing and they have two ovals, it’s a huge advantage to have both games happening at once as a lot of people’s time can be used more effectively.

I suppose the occasional game is ok but in general, leave me out of night footy! Best thing about the local footy is the good old Saturday afternoon. Some people don’t like that the AFL don’t really use it for big games but I think it’s really good as it allows local footy to own it and hopefully get a few more down to their game.

When I lived in England years ago they had the Saturday afternoon TV blackout - no Premier League games on TV as it was such an important time for local clubs. Believe it’s still the case.

The Whitehorse council have a limit of 2 nights per week and the lights have to be turned off at 9-30.
Training sessions have to finish at 9pm. Strangely skate parks can have their lights on till 10pm.
Draft policies for Whitehorse are here.
https://oursay.org/whitehorsecitycouncil/floodlightingpolicy
I can see night games enabling much greater use of grounds, more than likely there will be night cricket games as well.

Also note with Cliff,s photo of Blackburn it has been taken from the bottom oval as initially I thought it was from the main oval.With playing night games I think Vermont last season played 19,s,2,s,1's at normal times with a womans night game starting at 5PM approx and finishing before 8 PM so should be able to get 4 games in on 1 oval before 9.30PM and even 5 if the earlier games started a little earlier.The biggest worry I think would be all the traffic on a ground in a wet season.

Also note with Cliff,s photo of Blackburn it has been taken from the bottom oval as initially I thought it was from the main oval.With playing night games I think Vermont last season played 19,s,2,s,1's at normal times with a womans night game starting at 5PM approx and finishing before 8 PM so should be able to get 4 games in on 1 oval before 9.30PM and even 5 if the earlier games started a little earlier.The biggest worry I think would be all the traffic on a ground in a wet season.
Just on another matter GMac, did you watch the show on Monday night about Bill Lawry. Fantastic.

Just on another matter GMac, did you watch the show on Monday night about Bill Lawry. Fantastic.

No I did not,what channel was that on.Actually listened to a radio show hosted by Paul Hooper on 94.1FM at 7.00PM.Interviewed Leigh Odermatt and Steve Fleming the BHRDCA admin.manager.It seems Leigh at 39 years of age will go around again for Blackburn North CC and next footy season with South Belgrave F.C.As for BHRDCA cricket they think they can a get a season up and going on the first week end of October but I think at this stage the covid 19 crisis will prevent this happening.It seems also the YJFC still have not called off their footy season which surprises me so if they get up and going it would delay the start of the cricket season perhaps any way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things not looking good for the cricket season GMac. We might be in lockdown until Christmas and it could be the whole state as covid seems to be appearing in country areas.

We were talking about facilities earlier... here's another one that has just started at Seaford. $9 million redevelopment of their ground, they've been off it for a couple of years as it was used as a base for the level crossing project.

Meanwhile, just around the corner is their interim ground, Belvedere Reserve which St Kilda recently abandoned. Long-term it's the home of the junior footy club. Three ovals and AFL club facilities. Might be the best junior setup in Australia!

On another note for season 2021 have heard EFNL are considering changing U19 to U20 and U17 to U18 then reverting back to U19 and U17 in 2022.

Wouldn't be the worst idea.
I suspect Outer East will finally make the move from U18 to U19 for the next season.

wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a few venues similar to Casey Fields our that way in a few years time with their population growth.
Only one I can think of near us is Kilsyth with the basketball stadium next to the ground, and a few grounds with tennis courts next to them
Kings park has had plans for a considerable upgrade of the precinct. We’ve got a plan to include the inclusion of netball courts, more lighting across the main oval and baseball field. Also initial plans for new rooms similar to those at Upwey and what boronia are getting, as well as facilities similar to those completed at Ftg and Rowville to accomodate women’s amd girls footy and junior expansion. Plus sealed roads and fencing, it’s a few years down the pipeline still, but we’re hopefull!

On another note for season 2021 have heard EFNL are considering changing U19 to U20 and U17 to U18 then reverting back to U19 and U17 in 2022.
There was a questionnaire that got sent out asking clubs their opinion on multiple issues Gmac. That was one of the questions. Also questions about women’s footy as well. Watch this space

Isaac Quaynor's injury from metal studs. How is it possible when they were ruled illegal in the 60's. Who makes them and how can you still buy them. Get rid of them. Make it illegal to make them, import them or sell them. If you click on the picture it really shows how bad the injury is.
metal studs.jpg

Last edited:
Retailer . It's a soccer thing but I've seen refs check players' boots before a game. It's also a penalty to tackle 'studs leading'. Easily available through eBay and Amazon. Rebel sports sells them as well. If it's been illegal since the sixties ( I remember my first ankle boots) why was Sydney let off with a warning, extra time for remedial reading courses??? Rebel_454646_hi-res.jpg

Retailer . It's a soccer thing but I've seen refs check players' boots before a game. It's also a penalty to tackle 'studs leading'. Easily available through eBay and Amazon. Rebel sports sells them as well. If it's been illegal since the sixties ( I remember my first ankle boots) why was Sydney let off with a warning, extra time for remedial reading courses???View attachment 930338

Let off with warning perhaps because other players were using that type boot.Why are the making these type studs if they are illegal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back