NSW is the only state where soccer is bigger than Australian Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Source????

At the lower levels I'd say that would not be the case (it would be as big if not bigger in other states, but that's only opinion and I'd really need research on participation levels for that one.

FTR up here in Rocky there are 7 World Game clubs, 1 of which is the elite state league team and the other 6 field anywhere between 2-5 senior mens teams (and a womens team) each week.

By ABS (adult) participation apparently there are more male soccer players (40,000), than League (37,000) with Australian Football at (20,000)

Of course, soccer participation rates are misleading as has been discussed elsewhere. Many people play it without it necessarily being their number on football code. Far less likely to be the case for Aussie rules and League

Queensland has produced the following calibre of footballers:

Voss, Riewoldt, Dunstall, Akermanis, Crossisca, and some of the best young players going around at the moment

Would be shocked if someone could supply a list of soccer players from Queensland of the same quality.

Of course, in terms of following the elite there is no contest.

All in all, very strong case for Australian Football ahead of soccer in Queensland

based on what exactly?

the following is nation wide, not just nsw

attendance- sure, afl is bigger in this aspect, but its also got a 100 yr+ head start on the a-league

participation- would be in favour of football if anything, more kids play football than afl/auskick country wide.

based on what exactly?

the following is nation wide, not just nsw

attendance- sure, afl is bigger in this aspect, but its also got a 100 yr+ head start on the a-league

participation- would be in favour of football if anything, more kids play football than afl/auskick country wide.

Soccer has been in Australia since the latter part of the 19th century so don't give us the AFL has "a 100 yr+ head start on the a-league" bullshyse.

If you want play that game, soccer had a national league (remember the National Soccer League) over a decade before footy. So the head start soccer had has been squandered.

I'm not really sure how it is relevant to the bid.

^^ what he said ^^

But for what it's worth, the participation rates debate and the pointless bickering over what consitutes the true depth of each code is simply a waste of a time. Association Football has been around in various forms since the late 1800's - comparable to the WAFL, SANFL, and VFL. It just never captured the imagination in this country. Fact.

The NSL actually had a genuine national comp with teams in the ACT, QLD, VIC, SA and NSW back in 1977 and it went nowhere. AR didn't have a comparable National League set up until 1986 when the Lions and West Coast joined Sydney as interstate sides. Although, obviously AR was the dominant code in VIC, SA and WA with the local VFL, SANFL and WAFL competitions.

I support both codes. But have been unimpressed by the way the WC bid has been handled thus far, so I am not yet fully supportive of the bid - like most posters on this site, I think.

I'm not really sure how it is relevant to the bid.

Forum title "Hot Topic - Australian Football vs Association Football : the gloves are off

Apologies if I've misunderstood the forum title. Having a look through the other thread title its clearly not the only one that is not "bid" related

I would have thought, if anything, this might drag some of the "what sport's bigger" traffic off the bid threads

Forum title "Hot Topic - Australian Football vs Association Football : the gloves are off

Apologies if I've misunderstood the forum title. Having a look through the other thread title its clearly not the only one that is not "bid" related

I would have thought, if anything, this might drag some of the "what sport's bigger" traffic off the bid threads
im confused, is this subforum about basing association football or discussing the merits of a fifa wc in australia?

theres been countless threads about the same thing over and over again around here, and the same people making the exact same arguements (from both sides) theres also been some completly idiodic threads (the craig foster article thread for 1)

Imo even the title of the subforum- Australian football vs Association football- the gloves are off indicates that afl fans are at war with world football fans or something.

as for the- what sport is bigger- i'll say this

everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is that a sport played predominatly in 1 country worldwide isnt bigger than 1 that is played in over 200 (202 nations were in 2010 wcq)

Soccer has been in Australia since the latter part of the 19th century so don't give us the AFL has "a 100 yr+ head start on the a-league" bullshyse.

If you want play that game, soccer had a national league (remember the National Soccer League) over a decade before footy. So the head start soccer had has been squandered.
true, but i was refering to the current national competitions, of which the afl has a massive headstart commerically, stadium wise, financially and product on the field.

over time this will balance out

true, but i was refering to the current national competitions, of which the afl has a massive headstart commerically, stadium wise, financially and product on the field.

over time this will balance out

I have been hearing such things as this all my life. Hasn't happened yet.

I have been hearing such things as this all my life. Hasn't happened yet.
in the past the game was governed poorly, but since the govt reform and lowy and o'neill made sweeping changes, the game has began to grow in terms of

* a stable, successful and viable a-league
* a national team who is now successfully competiting on the world stage
* moving into a competitive confederation
* a proper tv deal that isnt a c7 attempt to get the game off tv alltogether
* much better sponsorship and commercial deals that the previous nsl/ soccer australia had

id say those are signs of things balancing out ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By ABS (adult) participation apparently there are more male soccer players (40,000), than League (37,000) with Australian Football at (20,000)

Of course, soccer participation rates are misleading as has been discussed elsewhere. Many people play it without it necessarily being their number on football code. Far less likely to be the case for Aussie rules and League

Voss, Riewoldt, Dunstall, Akermanis, Crossisca, and some of the best young players going around at the moment

Would be shocked if someone could supply a list of soccer players from Queensland of the same quality.

Of course, in terms of following the elite there is no contest.

All in all, very strong case for Australian Football ahead of soccer in Queensland

Mate i have to fill out ABS forms every week unfortunately - in the real work I have job therefore I quite happily feed them with crap like every other poor sod who has to do it - anyone who places any faith in these types of studies is a delusional.

in the past the game was governed poorly, but since the govt reform and lowy and o'neill made sweeping changes, the game has began to grow in terms of

* much better sponsorship and commercial deals that the previous nsl/ soccer australia had

They are signs of management becoming more professional but that's the same everywhere. In relative terms I doubt much has really changed.

Remember that once upon a time the Phillips National Soccer League ushered in a new era of sponsorship and commercial deals too.;)

The only thing missing are the big stadium deals.
true, but the ovals (mcg, adelaide oval, ect) are out becasue of cricket pitches in the middle of the ground.

deals with etihad, suncorp and sfs, westpac stadium in NZ and newcastle are a good start thou

They are signs of management becoming more professional but that's the same everywhere. In relative terms I doubt much has really changed.

Remember that once upon a time the Phillips National Soccer League ushered in a new era of sponsorship and commercial deals too.;)

I personally had no interest in national football competitions until the A league started, I went to a few South Melb games - I didn't feel welcome there, and didn't bother going back. Being from Gippsland, I also followed the Falcons every now and then but they were pretty awful truth be told. Went to quite a few VFL games when the Traralgon Maroons were in the VFL.

The old NSL clubs marketed only to their ethnic backgrounds and were simply not commercially viable. The difference between the A league is like night and day, and it is only 5 years old. It is only going to improve over time.

I personally had no interest in national football competitions until the A league started, I went to a few South Melb games - I didn't feel welcome there, and didn't bother going back. Being from Gippsland, I also followed the Falcons every now and then but they were pretty awful truth be told. Went to quite a few VFL games when the Traralgon Maroons were in the VFL.

The old NSL clubs marketed only to their ethnic backgrounds and were simply not commercially viable. The difference between the A league is like night and day, and it is only 5 years old. It is only going to improve over time.

You only started following the AFL when the a-league started?? Weird...

Just as a matter of interest, Reiwoldt born & bred in Tasmania. His Parents moved to Qld when he was 12yo. Obviously recruited to StKilda at 18yo. All his uncles & cousins played in Tassie, so he comes from good footy stock. I don't think Qld 'produced' him at all.

Just as a matter of interest, Reiwoldt born & bred in Tasmania. His Parents moved to Qld when he was 12yo. Obviously recruited to StKilda at 18yo. All his uncles & cousins played in Tassie, so he comes from good footy stock. I don't think Qld 'produced' him at all.

Correct. Only Crossisca & Dunstall are born & bred QLD'ers off that list.

Reiwoldt was younger than that when they moved. I was 12 when i started at broadbeach and Roo is 2 years older than i am.

s UOTE=scotto_01;16819060]in the past the game was governed poorly, but since the govt reform and lowy and o'neill made sweeping changes, the game has began to grow in terms of

id say those are signs of things balancing out ;)[/QUOTE]

Australian Soccer made theWC in Germany in the 1970s so how come its the smallest of the 4 football codes???

s UOTE=scotto_01;16819060]in the past the game was governed poorly, but since the govt reform and lowy and o'neill made sweeping changes, the game has began to grow in terms of

Australian Soccer made theWC in Germany in the 1970s so how come its the smallest of the 4 football codes???[/quote]

And it was the first code to go national - and by a good ten years.

Reiwoldt was younger than that when they moved. I was 12 when i started at broadbeach and Roo is 2 years older than i am.

He was born here & bred in the only footy state not allowed to have its own team. Thats more the issue. Continually claiming people as queenslanders when the came from somewhere else first is pretty pathetic. Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back