Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

T
It's... not a good film. The lightsaber fight at the end is good, and Duel of the Fates brings it to life. The podracing scene is bearable but overlong. The rest is a struggle, Jar Jar and the Gungans are terrible, the comedy from the droids not funny, the acting limited, the dialogue below average.

It's watchable, particularly with the kids, and it's better than Attack of the Clones.
Bearable? the pod race was awesome i was blown away in my chair at the cinema

T

Awesome game as well

s-l400.jpg

T

Three laps was boring. You could tell they knew it was going to be one of the most visually arresting scenes so went all in, where a good trim would have retained the visual appeal and been more narratively interesting. Of course it made a good game, it looked like it was designed for that purpose the first time I saw it.

AotC is fine but I think it depends on your age when watching for the first time (which is the same of almost any movie to be honest).
Obviously this is true of many movies, but ANH, ESB, TFA, R1, TLJ all received good reviews from adult critics. If the film is only appealing to children and appears to be terrible to others, then it's not really a good film. Pixar certainly has no problem making kids films that are praised by more than just kids.

I think the idea that Star Wars is expressly made for children is a rewriting of history. ANH looks aimed more at teen boys and young men, ESB is darker, it's around the time of ROTJ and then the prequels that Lucas started pitching it younger. I don't think much of the newer content is expressly kids first either. Mandalorian and Obi-Wan are definitely aimed at adults as well.

Last edited:
Other than being orchesteral, they don't sound that similar to me. One is distinctly Star Wars-y and the other distinctly Spiderman-y. If you heard just one of them and was asked which series it's from, you could easily get the right answer.
They literally use them same theme, the same riff or motif or whatever they call it. Just the 'sound' changes.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Prequels offered more world-building, but sequels offered more watchability. Rise of Skywalker is easily the worst of the sequels but it has some gorgeous scenery, decent action and the acting is up to par. I roll my eyes at bad directorial choices but I can still watch it. Attack of the Clones is the worst of the prequels and is borderline unwatchable, terrible acting, nonsensical action scenes.

TFA is a rehash of Star Wars but is still very watchable.

Obviously people will disagree on TLJ but it's better than all three prequels put together.

Rise of Skywalker? Awesome scenery better than prequels?

The Death Star fight could have been good but the choreography was terrible as was the cinematography. The final ship battle tried hard but it was too blue and CGI heavy. The action? Riding horses on a stardestroyer? Jetpacks as if they are new? Bad CGI heavy Jedi combat?

And don't even start on the most overrated fight scene in all of cinema, the throne room in TLJ. Literally defending the indefensible.

The prequels have their issues but claiming that Skywalker is better in those areas than them is ludicrous. Then the throne fight? The only fight that had to be edited and has weapons taken out with special effects because it was poorly planned and logic breaking?

Last edited:
AotC is fine but I think it depends on your age when watching for the first time (which is the same of almost any movie to be honest).
Pasanda or whatever it is from Skywalker is just knockoff Geonosis.

I mean again, issues, but suggesting that is has nothing good, not a single pro, compared to any of the sequels?

Three laps was boring. You could tell they knew it was going to be one of the most visually arresting scenes so went all in, where a good trim would have retained the visual appeal and been more narratively interesting. Of course it made a good game, it looked like it was designed for that purpose the first time I saw it.
Dude, it wasn't. You are actually in the minority here. The extended podrace in the extended Episode 1 is even better.

I guess it was no horsey chase on Canto Bight though hey. Talk about iconic classic scenes in the franchise. What a beauty.

I reckon one of the best things about Star Wars is it’s ‘rewatchableness’, more than any movies because the world building and timeless story telling principles.
That's true of the OT especially. The PT to a lesser extent, but it's there too. But the ST has zero rewatchability. I deliberately didn't bother storing the ST in my Star Wars collection because it's a disgrace. Rogue One is definitely rewatchable. Solo 50/50. None of the TV shows are rewatchable. Not even Mando. Boba is a complete write-off. Obi maybe has a couple episodes (1, 5, 6) that are rewatchable to dieharders, but they're not even that good to be honest to deserve rewatchability, because the story/intrigue/adventure is not there at all like the OT. I find The Clone Wars movie and the cartoon series to be definitely rewatchable. The first and last season of Rebels. Bad Batch is a good series but it's not rewatchable tbh either.

Dude, it wasn't. You are actually in the minority here. The extended podrace in the extended Episode 1 is even better.

I guess it was no horsey chase on Canto Bight though hey. Talk about iconic classic scenes in the franchise. What a beauty.

I recall it was criticised at the time of release. It's very self indulgent.

Obviously this is true of many movies, but ANH, ESB, TFA, R1, TLJ all received good reviews from adult critics. If the film is only appealing to children and appears to be terrible to others, then it's not really a good film. Pixar certainly has no problem making kids films that are praised by more than just kids.

I think the idea that Star Wars is expressly made for children is a rewriting of history. ANH looks aimed more at teen boys and young men, ESB is darker, it's around the time of ROTJ and then the prequels that Lucas started pitching it younger. I don't think much of the newer content is expressly kids first either. Mandalorian and Obi-Wan are definitely aimed at adults as well.

Sorry that's not what I meant. As a kid watching the Geonosis arena scene was amazing and I loved the movie as a result. I can still re-watch it and still really enjoy it because I loved it so much that first time. There's plenty of movies that I've only seen for the first time as an adult that I just don't get that I'm sure plenty of others think of as classics (ET, Ghostbusters just a few off the top of my head).

An under-appreciated aspect of the podrace in TPM was the audio. It wasn't JUST the visuals. Reckon the audio was the star of that sequence, not the visuals.
Lucas movies ALWAYS had great sound and music.

The non Lucas ones do not as much. Even if the music is good on its own, they can't integrate in to the film as well as he did. His sound effects are classic too (him and Ben Burt). The lightsaber noise, the sound of X-Wing lasers, tie fighter engines, depth charges.

Rogue One was comparable and had the most prominent music, even if not necessary the best music.

Funny enough two of my favourite scenes in the ST have no music. The two Kylo-Han scenes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucas movies ALWAYS had great sound and music.

The non Lucas ones do not as much. Even if the music is good on its own, they can't integrate in to the film as well as he did. His sound effects are classic too (him and Ben Burt). The lightsaber noise, the sound of X-Wing lasers, tie fighter engines, depth charges.

Rogue One was comparable and had the most prominent music, even if not necessary the best music.

Funny enough two of my favourite scenes in the ST have no music. The two Kylo-Han scenes.

Pioneers of movie lore...the special effects, the sound effects, the art direction, costume designing etc. They paved the way and created cinema legend forever more.

Disney/LFL have been nasty about it, even mocking George and McQuarry etc (eg, the Boba bike scene busting apart a famous McQuarry SW painting).

Just on these two, Luke was told to run by Owen and Beru and escapes out the roof without ever seeing Reva or her lightsaber, he looks back briefly when running but all you can see is a distant red light that doesn't appear to be a lightsaber, then he gets knocked out, again, without seeing Reva. There is nothing to link this to Jedi in his mind. Also, how do you know Luke has no recollection of it, just because he doesn't bring up this random event in ANH?

And Obi-Wan makes a point to Leia that they need to keep their meeting on the down-low. Yeah, it's a bit of a cheap workaround but that's why she acts like she doesn't know him, it's not that she doesn't remember.

It's a bit of stretch that Luke didn't see Reva. He was in the room when she came in and whacked his mother. But fair enough, that's the way they wrote it and at least it would be consistent with later events. But you would still think Luke's parents would tell him that there's a crazy Jedi lady coming to kill him.

I have more issues with other aspects of that sequence. Why is running and hiding not a better option for the family? Why does Reva wait until dark to go there? She's got Jedi skills and a lightsaber. Reva's redemption is very cheap. She doesn't kill Luke but she's killed hundreds of other people. Obi-Wan is aware this mass serial killer knows the true identities of Luke and Leia, which is the biggest secret in the Galaxy - yet he lets her live. Cough - spin off series.

It's similar to Darth Vader knowing that Reva knows he is Anakin, which is also a very closely guarded secret. It's not clear when he gained that knowledge, but he lets her live even after she tried to kill him.

I've had no issue discussing criticisms as and when they arise, it's the repetitiveness that gets annoying.

Except that you're not doing that. If it's repetitive it's because you are just deflecting rather than addressing the criticisms.

You claimed that the actress for Leia looks 9. I pointed out that she's the height of an average 5 and 1/2 year old. Having been corrected you then claimed you didn't care. I have raised numerous examples of poor writing in this show and your response is that apparently I need to move on. That's a deflection rather than an argument.

I don't expect responses to every point I raise but there are so many dumb things in this show that it's probably implausible to do that anyway. But feel free to answer these questions.

How did a battleship with dozens of fighters not take out the rebel escape ship?

After Obi-Wan surrendered why did they take him away inside the rebel base with only two useless guards?

How did Reva fix the gaping holes in her body then teleport to Tatooine?

Canto was the single worst part
It's a bit of stretch that Luke didn't see Reva. He was in the room when she came in and whacked his mother. But fair enough, that's the way they wrote it and at least it would be consistent with later events. But you would still think Luke's parents would tell him that there's a crazy Jedi lady coming to kill him.

I have more issues with other aspects of that sequence. Why is running and hiding not a better option for the family? Why does Reva wait until dark to go there? She's got Jedi skills and a lightsaber. Reva's redemption is very cheap. She doesn't kill Luke but she's killed hundreds of other people. Obi-Wan is aware this mass serial killer knows the true identities of Luke and Leia, which is the biggest secret in the Galaxy - yet he lets her live. Cough - spin off series.

It's similar to Darth Vader knowing that Reva knows he is Anakin, which is also a very closely guarded secret. It's not clear when he gained that knowledge, but he lets her live even after she tried to kill him.
she doesn’t kill Luke because he represents her as a little girl, he is innocent with force potential.

Just on these two, Luke was told to run by Owen and Beru and escapes out the roof without ever seeing Reva or her lightsaber, he looks back briefly when running but all you can see is a distant red light that doesn't appear to be a lightsaber, then he gets knocked out, again, without seeing Reva. There is nothing to link this to Jedi in his mind. Also, how do you know Luke has no recollection of it, just because he doesn't bring up this random event in ANH?

And Obi-Wan makes a point to Leia that they need to keep their meeting on the down-low. Yeah, it's a bit of a cheap workaround but that's why she acts like she doesn't know him, it's not that she doesn't remember.
And neither of the twins in ANH appear damaged goods from their 10th year of life

Except that you're not doing that. If it's repetitive it's because you are just deflecting rather than addressing the criticisms.

You claimed that the actress for Leia looks 9. I pointed out that she's the height of an average 5 and 1/2 year old. Having been corrected you then claimed you didn't care. I have raised numerous examples of poor writing in this show and your response is that apparently I need to move on. That's a deflection rather than an argument.

I don't expect responses to every point I raise but there are so many dumb things in this show that it's probably implausible to do that anyway. But feel free to answer these questions.

How did a battleship with dozens of fighters not take out the rebel escape ship?

After Obi-Wan surrendered why did they take him away inside the rebel base with only two useless guards?

How did Reva fix the gaping holes in her body then teleport to Tatooine?

I said she was 9 and was playing a 10 year old, just because someone is short doesn't mean they don't 'look' right. Was Carrie Fisher not right to play a 19 year old Leia because she was also shorter than the average height?

I said I don't care because I really don't care to have back and forth over a kid's height when discussing a SW show.

Why the SD didn't send out TIEs I don't know, it's 9 years after ROTS isn't it, did they have TIEs in SDs at that stage?

Because Reva was willing to let him escape to help her deal with Vader, did you miss their exchange prior to his capture?

Holes? She was stabbed once in the side and very clearly had not fixed them considering she was struggling on Tatooine.

Many of these questions (apart from the TIE) indicate you didn't actually watch and take in the content on screen which is part of why I find it so hard to engage with you on these sorts of criticisms.

If they do a Reva spin-off series it will confirm (not that it hasn't already been confirmed) that Disney LF is more interested in their own internal politics/representation/self-inserts than crowd reaction. A Reva series would be potentially the least watched series on Disney+ ever made.

If they do a Reva spin-off series it will confirm (not that it hasn't already been confirmed) that Disney LF is more interested in their own internal politics/representation/self-inserts than crowd reaction. A Reva series would be potentially the least watched series on Disney+ ever made.

Would it? Think she was a great character.

Perhaps the backlash to her character says more about those viewers than they like to think it does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back