FTA-TV 2022-Top 5 Tv shows

Remove this Banner Ad

In no particular order:

Super Pumped
Stranger Things
The Bear
Only Murders in the Building
Winning Time (not sure if this falls into the cut off for this year but saw it this year)
War of the Worlds Season 3
Tokyo Vice
Reacher

Disappointments:
Ozark, loved every season, the ending disappointed
We Own This City, watched it on a lot of plane trips, didn't amaze me.

Persisted with WOTC but it never got out of 3rd gear

City on a Hill with Kevin Bacon is an underrated gem and this was probably the best season

1. The Bear - I know some people didn't really get the hype, but I absolutely loved the show. I was so invested in the stories of all the characters and it made me feel. Sometimes angry, sometimes sad, sometimes hilarious, almost always stressful. It wasn't until the second episode that I even realised it was a comedy!

2. Succession (Season 3) - Another season of brilliant writing and incredible acting, with the added bonus of an amazing setting in Italy. There's so much to hate about the characters, which for me makes it even easier to love the show.

3. Severance - This is somewhat controversial as I haven't actually finished this (my wife just wasn't into it at all), but I thought it was brilliant in all facets. And I'm supremely confident that they'll stick the landing, so it might even move up a spot or two.

4. Colin From Accounts - This is possibly the first Australian comedy that I've legitimately loved. The trailer shows the start of the story, but sells the rest of the series incredibly short. It's so much better than I thought it would be - incredibly cringeful at times, but bloody hilarious.

5. Winning Time - The sort-of-biographical story of the Lakers becoming "showtime" in the 80s. It's the role John C Reilly seems to have been born to play (despite that casting ruining Will Ferrell and Adam McKay's professional and personal relationship) and the way it has been shot/directed/whatever is really playful and clever. Having larger-than-life characters like Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar makes for a pretty easy story to tell.

HMs - The Dropout, Life & Beth, The Resort, Hacks (Season 2), Billions (Season 6)

I have a late addition - Kevin Can * Himself

I just caught up on the second and final season that came out in 2022. I found the wrap up relatively satisfying, although I would have loved another season or two.

The concept is awesome. It focuses on a housewife (played by Annie Murphy, aka Alexis from Schitts Creek), who lives the life of an American sitcom wife, married to the town buffoon, Kevin. Only one day she gets fed up, and when she walks out of a crowded and familiar looking lounge room and into a lonely kitchen, the canned laugher stops, the bright lights are dimmed, and her forced expression of “oh, you!” fades into a the look of a broken woman.

The show alternates back and forth between the sitcom format (where you’re essentially watching The King of Queens or Married with Children) and the dark version (similar in tone to season 1 of Breaking Bad).

It doesn’t reach the peaks of an all time great show, but the concept is very cool to watch play out, and puts a dark twist on the 80s/90s family sitcom.

Abbott Elementary?

Watched the pilot and thought it was cringey but it’s getting rave reviews/credits

Why should I persist?
I really enjoy it; I think it’s pretty underrated.

It’s more SuperStore than The Office, but it’s entertaining.
This show is such a mystery to me

my wife and I keep trying to get into it - we are suckers for a feel-good workplace comedy - but the characters and stories and humour are so unengaging that I struggle to even pay attention for the full half hour. I genuinely cannot work out why it gets so many rave reviews.

I eventually decided that there must be a specific cultural appeal to the whole US public school setting that is just completely lost on me

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back