Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Your subscription run out?

Putamorsi sounds out ex-Magpies
By Richard Goodbody

Euroa coach David Putamorsi believes he can breathe new life into the Magpies, despite the recent loss of gun onballer Mark Clayton.
Having recently taken over the reins from David Gleeson, Putamorsi, who returns to the club after a fouryear stint in charge of Tungamah, is adamant the Magpies are on the up.
Just two months after taking control at Euroa, the former Goulburn Valley Football League star has been in discussions with a number of players, but is yet to get a formal commitment from his targets.
"Mark's bought a property in Geelong, so he's going to play somewhere down there," Putamorsi said.
"Other than that I expect to keep our list.
"Shane's (Clayton) going around again, so that's great news and we're hoping to lure a number of our former players back.
"People don't realise until they're gone how good they are, but we're in discussions with a few and hopefully they jump on board."
At the top of Putamorsi's wish list is Craig Marshall, Daniel Thomson and Matthew Mills.
Nathan Gilliland, who left the Magpies to coach Sandhurst this year, is also a potential recruit, but remains the least likely of the four.
"We're hoping Craig comes back," Putamorsi said.
"He's been in Darwin, but he's a good chance . . . and Daniel Thomson didn't play at all this year, so we're hopeful of him too."
Euroa will start its pre-season campaign with a training run on December 2.

Williams inspires enthusiasm among Bombers
By Richard Goodbody

The Dave Williams era at Kyabram is beginning to take shape.
Less than a month after arriving at the Bombers' hanger, Williams oversaw a club meeting last week at which more than 100 current and prospective players were in attendance.
While the season proper is still months away, Kyabram president Peter Croxford said the enthusiasm reverberating around the club was electric.
"Everybody is as keen as keen," Croxford said yesterday.
"We had a great night, probably one of the best turnouts I've ever seen.
"The younger players have got a lot of respect for Dave and they're looking forward to a good year."
Despite the recent losses of Paul Burnett and Josh Finn, the Bombers are hoping to announce a number of signings within the next fortnight.
Among the faces spotted at Kyabram last week was Rushworth premiership coach Scott Hanson.
The former Goulburn Valley Football League star, who played 106 games including the 1999 flag under Williams at Rochester, remained coy about his future.
"Dave and I hit it off pretty well," Hanson said last week.
"I'm 33 now but I might be able to slot into the backline and have a run on the ball if everything turns out okay.
"There are no promises at this stage."

I'd say Gilliland is very unlikely seeing though the reason he stood down at Sandhurst was because he is moving to Qld

I was talking to Joe Amad last week and he seemed happy at Northcote Park. Saying that, he also said that he reckons the best club he has played at is Seymour. Only question is how much value would you get out of him now? He'd be early/mid 40's wouldn't he?

You would get heaps of value out of that Dog Staver , all the one liners he comes out with are rippers and just the best bloke to have around your club . But you are right randallbone he is turning 50 ,and starting too waddle like a Duck . :thumbsu:

Who is leaving & who is the new recruits @ seymour. Is Joe Amad going back there and taking some Northcote park players with him.

We will keep just about everyone , Tim Okeefe might go back to Bendigo but in saying that we didnt have him all year . Matty O is thinking about heading up to South Cairns with SJ , and a number of former players are thinking of returning . Habes is talking to a couple of the boys from Collingwood that got delisted [ he works at collingwood ] but whether we grab one who knows.

We will keep just about everyone , Tim Okeefe might go back to Bendigo but in saying that we didnt have him all year . Matty O is thinking about heading up to South Cairns with SJ , and a number of former players are thinking of returning . Habes is talking to a couple of the boys from Collingwood that got delisted [ he works at collingwood ] but whether we grab one who knows.

You're kidding right?

As if Seymour need anymore Melbourne players. The sooner they bring in the points system the better.

You're kidding right?

As if Seymour need anymore Melbourne players. The sooner they bring in the points system the better.

I think you really need to get over the fact that clubs have Melbourne based players. This time every year, you start whinging about it. The have been very important to Seymour winning 3 flags and will continue to be important as they strive for 4 in a row and be successful in years to come. If they can can get them, then well done to them.

My understanding of the points system, is that majority of their current playing list will scape any real penalty as they have been at Seymour for a number of years now.

I think you really need to get over the fact that clubs have Melbourne based players. This time every year, you start whinging about it. The have been very important to Seymour winning 3 flags and will continue to be important as they strive for 4 in a row and be successful in years to come. If they can can get them, then well done to them.

My understanding of the points system, is that majority of their current playing list will scape any real penalty as they have been at Seymour for a number of years now.

You really need to accept that the rest of the competition thinks it's bullshit the way a few teams go about it.

Seymour won the thirds this year and their ressies have been competitive for a couple of years. Why not just play those guys? Do you think they will stick around for years while the seniors is full of recruits? No way. After all the recruits leave - and they will - you will be back in the dark days.

Consider this.
1996: Last
1997: Second last
1998: not sure, probably crap again
1999: 11th
2000: Second last
2001: 10th
2002: 8th
2003: 11th

Then the great recruiting coup happened and Seymour rose up the ladder.

Most people I know laugh at Seymour's manufactured 'success.' Call me a whinger but gates are down and people are losing interest. What's the point of going to local footy to watch your team get flogged by a glorified VFL team?

GV footy should be about my team versus your team. Local players should fill the majority of the team, with a couple of recruits. That may be idealistic, but it also should be a reality considering the cash flows the clubs have.

Echuca did this 3 times in the last decade, Rochy in 1999 and 1992, Kyabram in 1996. They all had teams that were locals and topped up with a couple of recruits.

By the way, it's called an opinion and as long as I'm here, I'll freely express it. This is Australia, not China. If you don't like what I read, there is a simple solution; don't read it.

Interesting points brad.

The mention of China though probably goes against the rest of your post, cause I'm sure your anti-capitalism sentiment would fit in well there.

I think all the other clubs just have to do better financially to get the better cattle on the park and attract more of their talented juniors to stick around after thirds and heading to Uni.

Interesting points brad.

The mention of China though probably goes against the rest of your post, cause I'm sure your anti-capitalism sentiment would fit in well there.

I think all the other clubs just have to do better financially to get the better cattle on the park and attract more of their talented juniors to stick around after thirds and heading to Uni.

I considered that but the other day I read about the car market in China. Apparently until 30 years ago, the ownership of a private car was went against the communist ideals. These days, new car sales are increasing by 25% per year, the greatest of any nation. Millions of people are trading bicycles for cars. However, they can still only access certain websites.

Capitalism works only if the market can sustain it.

I'm sure everyone will find that relevant! :D

I considered that but the other day I read about the car market in China. Apparently until 30 years ago, the ownership of a private car was went against the communist ideals. These days, new car sales are increasing by 25% per year, the greatest of any nation. Millions of people are trading bicycles for cars. However, they can still only access certain websites.

Capitalism works only if the market can sustain it.

I'm sure everyone will find that relevant! :D

Glad I brought up that topic...

I think money has always ebbed and flowed through GVFL clubs. There's always towns with the resources to have a crack at a flag over a 2-3 year period by flashing some cash about. Even 5 or 6 good players won't buy you a flag though, you need more than that, and a lot of money.

You really need to accept that the rest of the competition thinks it's bullshit the way a few teams go about it.

Seymour won the thirds this year and their ressies have been competitive for a couple of years. Why not just play those guys? Do you think they will stick around for years while the seniors is full of recruits? No way. After all the recruits leave - and they will - you will be back in the dark days.

Consider this.

Most people I know laugh at Seymour's manufactured 'success.' Call me a whinger but gates are down and people are losing interest. What's the point of going to local footy to watch your team get flogged by a glorified VFL team?

GV footy should be about my team versus your team. Local players should fill the majority of the team, with a couple of recruits. That may be idealistic, but it also should be a reality considering the cash flows the clubs have.

Echuca did this 3 times in the last decade, Rochy in 1999 and 1992, Kyabram in 1996. They all had teams that were locals and topped up with a couple of recruits.

By the way, it's called an opinion and as long as I'm here, I'll freely express it. This is Australia, not China. If you don't like what I read, there is a simple solution; don't read it.

I agree that you can have your opinion, but when you keep bringing up the same topic and have an almighty whinge about it, it does get get quite tiresome. I will just keep playing my violin while you continue to sook and moan about a club that has a taken the right steps to make it a succesful era for them.

You have to think, times have changed and you cant just rest on your morales for the town to keep producing that next champion batch of players and you need some recruits to really get the club going.

I know a fair few people that arent laughing at Seymour at all, but are in awe, on how well they have to done to gain these recruits, then keep them at the club for these years. There has been many Melbourne based clubs and other country clubs willing to throw alot more money at these particular players, but they are committed to keep playing for the Seymour Football Club while the are successful. Because after all the reason why we play football is to enjoy it with mates, but ultimately win a premiership medallion one day.

the point of going to the local footy is to watch your club tough it out in a contest with the hope of winning, watching your mates play the game and just enjoying a Saturday afternoon having a few frothies or soft drinks watching a game of footy unfold.

if the club has the money to spend on players, then why shouldnt they spend it. I cant see Seymour dropping away just yet and Im sure they have plans in place once this current batch of recruits either retire or move on. Every club needs a long term plan for this sort of thing and I belive they are smart enough to have this in place.

The Seymour situation is one that creates lots of discussion. The point made in playing locals is a valid one. Ky went down that path this year knowing it was going to be tough. All local kids with an average age of 19 and a bit. Everyone praised Ky for it but it didn't stop teams kicking their arse. GV footy is serious and what Seymour does is their business. Its not what I would want from my team representing my town with our local players playing in our team but thats just my opinion. Every dog has its day and when Seymour run out of money or their imports leave or both then we will all see if there are any locals around to suit up for them.They may have left because of lack of opportunities.

I hear of all this we want to see locals play GV, yet on the other side want to see the best standard of footy available to us played. I would like to make a couple of points and a possibly option. Since the introduction of the draft system the AFL/VFL interaction with country clubs at our, the country clubs, detriment has decreased significantly which has lead to a decrease in the interest from our kids and local support. We all love to see our current or up and coming champions. Like most I have seen a huge increase in local talented kids from distict clubs, or 2nd's major league footballers, ask and get huge money to stay, or remain, playing minor league football which inturn requires more spending in upper levels.
I beleive a resonable solution would be to zone our minor league clubs and align with our major league ( GV ) clubs.
Everybody gets to play the best footy they are capable of and most of all very few miss out on a game.
Would appreciate thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consider this.

youll be happy to know that although Seymour has spent plenty of cash for players, and im pretty sure that we arent the only teams in the state doing it, over the past few years it has been local players that have made the impact in the senior side.
players such as jim kelly, who although may have played elsewhere, namely shepp swans, played junior and thirds footy in seymour.
David tomkins is local player, from broadford, who came to seymour to improve his football but spent the 2006 season playing cricket overseas as he is a tearaway quick bowler.
Tim O'Keefe, who as the son of seymour assistant coach Peter O'Keefe, is more than eligible to play for seymour as it is his home club and when he doesnt play for Bendigo he does so.
Also there were many players who have, in previous years, played in the reserves for the lions.
Rob Inness, Brett Spargo, Lachy Watts, Dom Russo, and Ben Clifton just to name a few.
So as long as we have these local players, who some such as Shane Schottner and Jeff Anderson, are equal in class to some of the best "MELBOURNE" players as you keep calling them, i think we can safely call ourselves The Seymour Football Club and continue to make our local community feel proud for the feats that our club continues to acheive.

youll be happy to know that although Seymour has spent plenty of cash for players, and im pretty sure that we arent the only teams in the state doing it, over the past few years it has been local players that have made the impact in the senior side.
players such as jim kelly, who although may have played elsewhere, namely shepp swans, played junior and thirds footy in seymour.
David tomkins is local player, from broadford, who came to seymour to improve his football but spent the 2006 season playing cricket overseas as he is a tearaway quick bowler.
Tim O'Keefe, who as the son of seymour assistant coach Peter O'Keefe, is more than eligible to play for seymour as it is his home club and when he doesnt play for Bendigo he does so.
Also there were many players who have, in previous years, played in the reserves for the lions.
Rob Inness, Brett Spargo, Lachy Watts, Dom Russo, and Ben Clifton just to name a few.
So as long as we have these local players, who some such as Shane Schottner and Jeff Anderson, are equal in class to some of the best "MELBOURNE" players as you keep calling them, i think we can safely call ourselves The Seymour Football Club and continue to make our local community feel proud for the feats that our club continues to acheive.

If your locals are as good as your Melbourne players, then why do you need to recruit from down there?

If your locals are as good as your Melbourne players, then why do you need to recruit from down there?
Oh my god Brad....Will you ever build a bridge and get over it? You act as though Rochy have never recruited a player from outside the town! You are entitiled to your opinion however I hate to be the one to tell you it is very much out of date in todays footy circles.

You can't tell me that your club wouldn't take Scanlon, Saad, Hooper (or even a Seymour 'local' like Schottner for that matter) if they were keen to play at Rochy and the price was right?

Oh my god Brad....Will you ever build a bridge and get over it? You act as though Rochy have never recruited a player from outside the town! You are entitiled to your opinion however I hate to be the one to tell you it is very much out of date in todays footy circles.

You can't tell me that your club wouldn't take Scanlon, Saad, Hooper (or even a Seymour 'local' like Schottner for that matter) if they were keen to play at Rochy and the price was right?

I agree you chase the best talent. Early 90's Rochy was written in Shepp News as Melbourne Reserves based on Dirtys contacts. What it did do though is after a couple of years make Dirty chase locals to Rochy from Elmore,Locky ,Colbo, Stanhope and Bendigo as he believed the Melbourne "recruits" were unsustainable. All I say is make sure as soon as Seymour loses a few ( and you will ) you have enough kids and locals wanting to play and not out playing at clubs they wont return from.

Also one other point. The points system used in MPFNL is based on where players have played footy. If you have played AFL and are a local it still means you rate at the highest points. The statement that after 3 years they are claimed as "locals" is not correct.

Its simple really. Because after watching our Team struggle for all those years that you pointed out in your earlier post, now we want to win PREMIERSHIPS! A just reward for the local guys that stuck with the club through the dark years.

Rochy have had a dozen local players the equivalent or better than Schottner in my time there. They have also recruited high-quality players like Sparks, Hawker, Edwards, etc. I have never opposed clubs recruiting. You can check my posts for that, but I have been very consistent.

My point is: building your team by having more than half your players from Melbourne is just bullshit. It's a cheap method. Build a team with locals and add in a few recruits.

I hope Seymour win 10 flags in a row. By the end, Rochy and Kyabram won't be in the league and every other team will be on their financial knees. Tongala already left the league because they couldn't compete.

Have a look at what sparked this:

Seymour were rumored to be discussing adding ex-Collingwood players on their list. My initial response was that surely they have enough. Seymour supporters comes out of the woodwork and protests the clubs innocence and says how they are building a great future. It happens again and again and again.

Are you all feeling guilty or embarrassed?

As long as your club continues employing these tactics to ensure their 'success' I will post as much as I want and when I want. If you don't like, there is a red X at the top right of the screen.

Memo to bradrowe32

My response follows:

You said : Rochy have had a dozen local players the equivalent or better than Schottner in my time there. They have also recruited high-quality players like Sparks, Hawker, Edwards, etc. I have never opposed clubs recruiting. You can check my posts for that, but I have been very consistent.

My response: So since your time at Rochy, you've had a dozen players better than Schottner? All of them got a Morrison Medal and captained Rochy to 3 premierships have they? Also, you do seem to oppose clubs recruiting - especially anyone from Melbourne!

You said: My point is: building your team by having more than half your players from Melbourne is just bullshit. It's a cheap method. Build a team with locals and add in a few recruits.

My response: Yeah good idea. Let's just add in a few recruits to a side that had previously struggled for years on end.....Hopefully we could also end up like Tongala and get forced into another league. Would that make you happier?

You said: I hope Seymour win 10 flags in a row. By the end, Rochy and Kyabram won't be in the league and every other team will be on their financial knees. Tongala already left the league because they couldn't compete.

My response: Don't patronise me with the old '10 flags in a row' crap. You would be more keen to see us win 10 spoons in a bradrowe. See above regarding our club being forced to drop out of the GV...that is where we were headed unless the committee took the steps they did to re-build our club.

You said: Have a look at what sparked this:

Seymour were rumored to be discussing adding ex-Collingwood players on their list. My initial response was that surely they have enough. Seymour supporters comes out of the woodwork and protests the clubs innocence and says how they are building a great future. It happens again and again and again.

Don't be fooled into believing everything you read on Big Footy brad....I'd be surprised if we picked up anyone from Collingwood, however it would be no different to Euroa picking up Clayton & Hilton, Mooroopna taking Hall, Norman & Campbell, Mansfield taking Hotton, Mensch, Tranquilli, Hulme..Benalla taking Porter, Stevens...etc,...etc. Get my drift - clubs have been doing it for a while now. Keep up with the times!

You said: Are you all feeling guilty or embarrassed?

My response: I did feel guilty for a while......but 3 flags in a bradrowe has eased my pain.

You said: As long as your club continues employing these tactics to ensure their 'success' I will post as much as I want and when I want. If you don't like, there is a red X at the top right of the screen.

My response: Post what you want. When your club wins 3 in a row with locals (and just one or two recruits of course) I'll happily wait to read your posts with some anticipation. Until then, I say good luck to sides that recruit from outside their local area as they are at least trying to keep up with the times and not get forced to drop down a league as was the unfortunate case with Tonny a couple of years ago.

In finishing, I think you should be somewhat ashamed for starting this thread in the first place. Mainly because you have done so under the suggestion that it was a GVFL Thread, however you continually scoff at any club that is attempting to recruit players who are not from their local area, and you only appear to be happy when others want to talk about Rochester.

As you say.........I'm entitled to my opinion. If you don't like it then hit the red 'X' at the top right of the screen. Alternatively, press ALT/CTRL/DEL or contact IT support on 1300 I HATE CLUBS THAT RECRUIT.

Yawn. More justification. More spin.

There are so many inaccuracies in your post it's not worth correcting them.

By the way, Rochy won the 1999 flag with only 2 recruits and the 1992 flag with 3 recruits.

Yawn. More justification. More spin.

There are so many inaccuracies in your post it's not worth correcting them.

By the way, Rochy won the 1999 flag with only 2 recruits and the 1992 flag with 3 recruits.

Just going around in circles here Rowey. You point the finger at Seymour and naturally Seymour people stick up for their club.

Can anyone tell me how old David Putamorsi (excuse spelling) was when he played for Rochester?

From memory it was back in the Rochester glory days when Miller, Dupuy & O'Neill were carving up the league. Where did he originally come from?

Brendan Liddell is not a bad local player either bazz...

Is he going to stick with Seymour, or will he be heading to the Wang Maggies in 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.