Offseason illicit drug tests - now with new thread title

Remove this Banner Ad

The dickhead who lives up the road from me who drove his car through a roundabout and straight through the bedroom of a house. Tell that to the parents of the child who was struck and now has brain damage.
Knew there was a serious reason for your horrible posting, soz if I ever got harsh at you.

I for one think it's pretty sad for any person to have to take drugs in order for them to have fun. Also it's fairly easy to become addicted to several substances, which means it is fairly likely that some (many by the sounds of it) players do it right throughout the season as well. I'm not surprised though.
Its fairly easy to become addicted to a lot of things ie. Smoking, gambling, sugar ext.

Let the players do what ever they want in the off season as long as it isnt performance enhancing

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

70% of people / players as a cross section of society take drugs... Wow. You must live in the badlands if this is your reality. I'm willing to foster you bro, life's not actually like that. PM, we'll take you in
Mate it not a big deal. Guys in their 20s earning good money will be partying hard in the offseason. Taking a form of recreational drug (even a handful of times) would be no different to having a night on the turps. I would say most guys/girls I knew in my 20s would have taken something. All from privileged backgrounds etc. it's a reality unfortunately.

So with a young guy who suddenly has a reasonably large disposable income who needs to keep their body fat in check and wants to party in the offseason with their other club mates who are passing the s**t around, I'm surprised you are surprised that way more than 50% of the players would have dabbled sometime in the offseason.

The dickhead who lives up the road from me who drove his car through a roundabout and straight through the bedroom of a house. Tell that to the parents of the child who was struck and now has brain damage.
No different to drink driving mate. Have you spotted any footballer having a few too many drinks? Maybe getting behind a wheel? Maybe you should call them out as well.

Its fairly easy to become addicted to a lot of things ie. Smoking, gambling, sugar ext.

Let the players do what ever they want in the off season as long as it isnt performance enhancing

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Are you saying give them a free for all on illegal activities

Drink driving
Theft
Taking illegal drugs
Rape
Murder
Fraud

Should the AFL just turn a blind eye to any illegal activity they engage in and say, do what you want boys as long as your on holidays?

Mate it not a big deal. Guys in their 20s earning good money will be partying hard in the offseason. Taking a form of recreational drug (even a handful of times) would be no different to having a night on the turps. I would say most guys/girls I knew in my 20s would have taken something. All from privileged backgrounds etc. it's a reality unfortunately.

So with a young guy who suddenly has a reasonably large disposable income who needs to keep their body fat in check and wants to party in the offseason with their other club mates who are passing the s**t around, I'm surprised you are surprised that way more than 50% of the players would have dabbled sometime in the offseason.

Yes it is one is legal and the other is illegal! It's not hard to see the difference!

On a completely unrelated note, I have a question.

I'm 22 years old, I've been out many many times, to countless pubs/clubs all over Queensland, and have never ever seen this kind of activity. Since adulthood, I've never seen any of my friends, or even anybody I know, engage in these sorts of activities. I've never even heard of anybody engaging in this since I finished school at 16. The only place I've seen illicit drug use be so pervasive and accepted is right here on BigFooty. Up until last year, I've only lived in areas most people would call rough/undesirable and I've never seen any illicit drug use.

Is it mainly a Melbourne thing? A city thing? Mainly in AFL circles? Or am I just blind?

I'm 22 years old, I've been out many many times, to countless pubs/clubs all over Queensland, and have never ever seen this kind of activity. Since adulthood, I've never seen any of my friends, or even anybody I know, engage in these sorts of activities. I've never even heard of anybody engaging in this since I finished school at 16. The only place I've seen illicit drug use be so pervasive and accepted is right here on BigFooty. Up until last year, I've only lived in areas most people would call rough/undesirable and I've never seen any illicit drug use.

Is it mainly a Melbourne thing? A city thing? Mainly in AFL circles? Or am I just blind?
huge in melbourne

Probably blind to be honest.

Once you see it once you start to notice it everywhere.

Im 32 and live in Brisbane, i dont go out anymore obviously... but it was everywhere last time i was. Broncos players in particular.

Walk into Fridays on a Friday night and you'll see Accountants/Lawyers etc etc sneaking off to the bathrooms every 15 mins. Id be surprised if any more than 10% of patrons WEREN'T under the influence.

And dont start me on steroids.. i used to sell them about 12 years ago... cops, barristers etc its as common as coffee drinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You probably aren't aware the guy standing next to you in the bar/club has taken something. What were you expecting to see? The misconception is that someone on drugs acts a particular way. Someone you may think has had a few drinks may actually be drinking water all night. Obviously a lot of different types of drugs with varying affects.

So, you will either be very surprised or you must be ate ring the Hillsong Christian clubs and I really can't comment on the characters who may be sharing a shandy or cordial.

Can't speak for Brisbane but we are talking about pot, speed, pills etc some are more obvious if you know what to look for, pretty common down here depending on where you go out.
It does depend what circles you move in, I know people that have never tried anything and people that are pushing 40 that still go out and have the odd Pinger.
I've known a few people that have legitimate drug problems and a few that have problems with alcohol, quite often the same people.
Also know plenty that might have the odd smoke or night out, aren't big drinkers etc.
For mine the main difference between some of these activities and alcohol is that the government likes the tax dollars from booze and ciggies and those two special interest groups don't want their competition legalised.

Footy players are not some special breed that needs to be held to a higher standard half the issue is trying to make them role models

So you're saying, it's fine to break the rules as long as you don't get caught.
No.

I'm saying stolen medical records declaring some players took illicit drugs, is not even close to multiple players being targeted by police, Cousin's running from the cops, Mainwaring OD'ing while partying with Cousins and Fletcher needing to be revived on an end of season trip(amongst other stories from Perth in that period).

So did both these team have a "drug culture" at the time or not?

Alot was exposed at WCE we know that.

But there was major cover ups at this Vic based team also. Not just the found documents. Good on that team though, If it were WCE i would expect them to request an injunction also...and deal with their sh*t privately.

However, I know and saw with my own eyes what one WA player of this vic based team got up to in the 2006 off season which involved alot of white powder and resulting in significant deliberate damage to an associate of mine's apartment. When asked to pay for damage and this player refused, the story was told to two media companys, who guess what? Did not report it. That was one incident that I actually saw involving a player from "team injunction", and heard of dozens more during that period. Still currently hearing stories of this same player, but again its all second hand stories. Lucky this team traded him hey.

Not one peep from the Media.
Oh, so it's all just a big Victorian conspiracy with "major cover ups"!

No, the two clubs just had different levels of trouble to try and contain.

A former teammate of mine was friends with Michael Braun since childhood. When the Eagles were in town, they'd party. His 150th in Melbourne was apparently quite a big night.

The only reason the Eagles drug culture got the press is because it went to another level outside of the club. A level the club and the AFL couldn't contain.

Which is exactly my point. Hawthorn's players taking drugs, was not even close to the s**t Cousins, Gardiner, Kerr and others were being targeted for. Recordings about drug use, hanging out with mobsters, punching on in nightclubs, evading police....

All wce fans wanted was Cousins to get his life sorted, his health back. But if you look at it at the time and with hindsight, the media and the AFL were almost doing everything to hurt him.

AFL has their brand to protect...i get that. Just like each team.

The media are there to sell stories...i get that.

However, there is no consistency with how both these groups deal with incidents.
You're just making excuses for Cousins going completely off the rails.

As for Cousins "partying" with Mainwaring the night he died. Thats bulls**t. Mainwaring was suffering from what appeard to be depression in the lead up to his death (maybe a result of his cocain use...i dont know.). Cousins, concerned about his state of mind, visited Mainwaring that night and bought food over and was making sure he didnt self harm. Cousins stayed for several hours, Mainwaring appeared better when Cousins left. But obviously died that night (next morning) after both police and ambos came and left him with his neighbour. Cousins went for both blood and urine tests the next day. All clear.

That is what happened that night, Mainwaring did not die "while partying with that same captain"...Im suprised you as a moderator can just make stories up like that.
The coroner does not agree.

"Mainwaring died in the early hours of 1 October 2007 after being rushed to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.[5]Police and ambulance had been called to his address earlier that night after a complaint about a man yelling in the street. After Mainwaring refused assistance from the ambulance crew, he was released to the care of a neighbour. About an hour later, emergency services were called back to the property after he had convulsions and collapsed. Mainwaring reportedly told paramedics during the first visit that he had taken ecstasy and cannabis.[6][7]Former Eagles player Ben Cousins spent time with Mainwaring on Sunday, 30 September 2007 and the coroner ruled that they had both been using cocaine. According to the WA State Coroner's report, Mainwaring had a seizure and died after overdosing on cocaine, rather than several different drugs as media reports originally claimed."

A survey in 2013 concluded that 51% of Australians aged between 20 and 29 had taken an illicit substance at some point, with 27.5% having done so within the preceeding 12 months. As you say, focus on factors related to AFL players (disposable income, weight concerns, inflated ego etc) and those numbers would most certainly rise significantly.

I did laugh when I read pies 'third' biggest drug users. Who's 1 + 2?!!

I doubt any club would be 100% clean but....

Of the interstate clubs, I doubt Adelaide, Port, Sydney, GWS, Freo, Lions.

The other Victorian club, .... I would say that North, Geelong, Melb, Dogs would be very unlikely and surely not Essendon.

Not sure if you've been told this before but Queensland isn't like the rest of Australia.

All of the above. ;)

Maybe you do t know what you're looking for?

Seriously though, I went to a buck show last weekend, where the majority of guys in attendance were of the ages 21-27, and by 8:30pm the drinking had pretty much tapered right off and at least 90% of them had either nicked off to the bathroom to do a rack, or dropped a pinger or two right in front of me.

Drugs are just part of society these days, and widely accepted amongst those still in their party years.

No.

I'm saying stolen medical records declaring some players took illicit drugs, is not even close to multiple players being targeted by police, Cousin's running from the cops, Mainwaring OD'ing while partying with Cousins and Fletcher needing to be revived on an end of season trip(amongst other stories from Perth in that period).

Ok. So then it's ok to break the rules as long as someone broke them worse than you. I get it now.

All of the above. ;)

Maybe you do t know what you're looking for?

Seriously though, I went to a buck show last weekend, where the majority of guys in attendance were of the ages 21-27, and by 8:30pm the drinking had pretty much tapered right off and at least 90% of them had either nicked off to the bathroom to do a rack, or dropped a pinger or two right in front of me.

Drugs are just part of society these days, and widely accepted amongst those still in their party years.
You need some new mates. This isn't normality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back